Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

If it's all coming down to that Townsend deal it's a tough one for me. That was a shit deal. £2m for the loan and then £13m in the summer.

He's been undermined similar to Keegan. Obviously Rafa thought the Townsend deal was nailed on given his upbeat comments in the press conference on Tuesday Benitez said "We’re confident we can still do something” fast forward to post match QPR when asked about not strengthening the team a pissed off Benitez answered 3 times "It was not my decision" it should be an interesting press conference today.

The sort of deal Ashley would put on the table and say "no less"

All well and good playing hard ball. But it leaves you only able to buy players that selling clubs don't value enough to hold their ground.

Rafa knows, if they're the only players you buy, you end up with a squad like the one he wants to improve.

Spot on.

not a single player arrived last month, despite Benitez handing a list of targets to managing director Lee Charnley as far back as November.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4185634/Rafa-Benitez-long-term-future-Newcastle-United-doubt.html#ixzz4XcM0zCHM

Stonewalling Rafa Benitez like he's some arsehole chancer of Pardew proportions ffs. You couldn't make it up

Stonewalling Rafa Benitez like he's some arsehole chancer of Pardew proportions ffs. You couldn't make it up

If he genuinely doesn't realise he somehow has a world class manager on his hands instead of one of the usual jokers he employs, he's even more moronic than I thought.

The sort of deal Ashley would put on the table and say "no less"

All well and good playing hard ball. But it leaves you only able to buy players that selling clubs don't value enough to hold their ground.

Rafa knows, if they're the only players you buy, you end up with a squad like the one he wants to improve.

I'm not blind to this, but Palace were effectively asking us to pay £2m more than they paid us, for someone they don't even use.

The failing was in not having alternatives lined up/resting on their laurels. Not on refusing to agree to such a stupid deal.

Was it so stupid? They only paid £13m because of his release clause. Plus there's a premium on every player in the January window.

I think so, it's entirely subjective though. He's not playing for them, and they got him for £13m 6 months ago. Loaning him out takes him off the wage bill and they can fully recoup their losses in the summer. Asking for £2m for 6 months was just taking the piss. Sounds like it was because they were desperate for immediate funds - what we probably should have done is offered them £13m for a permanent transfer immediately.

EDIT - If it was an attractive proposition for a deal, you'd think other teams might have considered it.

Edited by Rayvin

I think so, it's entirely subjective though. He's not playing for them, and they got him for £13m 6 months ago. Loaning him out takes him off the wage bill and they can fully recoup their losses in the summer. Asking for £2m for 6 months was just taking the piss. Sounds like it was because they were desperate for immediate funds - what we probably should have done is offered them £13m for a permanent transfer immediately.

EDIT - If it was an attractive proposition for a deal, you'd think other teams might have considered it.

It was taking the piss to a degree but they had us over a barrel. Our lot once again fucked about for the majority of the window before giving it a token go in the last few days, at that point it's always going to be hard to convince a team to sell. It's also worth noting what ewerk said, although they got him for 13m off us 6 months ago that was only due to a clause it's not his real market worth. Palace made it fairly clear early on in the window they had no desire to loan him out, our bunch carried on offering a loan deal. Palace's final offer was always bound to be a bit of a piss take as they didn't need to sell and didn't want to loan him out.

No fucking clue whatsoever why we didn't just buy him when it become clear they didn't want to loan him out. I get what you're saying about others not being interested but we don't know if other teams weren't, it's also the case that decent deals are often made (or are put on the table) without other clubs moving for it for whatever reason.

If utter shite like Schlupp go for 12m just pay the 15m and be fucking done with it. Now we're in a position where we have one proper winger at the club past the end of the season, I don't count Sammy, Gouffran's contract expires (iirc), and Atsu's loan finishes, this again puts us in an absolute fucking nightmare of a position to negotiate with clubs. 

Edited by Howay

Basically the company owed MASH holdings £2.5m. Instead of repaying that in cash MASH accepted a single share with a nominal value of £1 in exchange for the £2.5m debt hence the £2,499,999 share premium. 

Basically the company owed MASH holdings £2.5m. Instead of repaying that in cash MASH accepted a single share with a nominal value of £1 in exchange for the £2.5m debt hence the £2,499,999 share premium.

So.... That suggests to me the land is valued £2.5m and Ashley's moved it into this company from MASH?

Nah, MASH already owned 100% of the company by owning 2/2 shares. It now owns the company by owning 3/3 shares. It's just a way of wiping an inter-group loan balance. I don't know if it was just to tidy the accounts up or whether there was a practical reason behind it.

If utter shite like Schlupp go for 12m just pay the 15m and be fucking done with it. Now we're in a position where we have one proper winger at the club past the end of the season, I don't count Sammy, Gouffran's contract expires (iirc), and Atsu's loan finishes, this again puts us in an absolute fucking nightmare of a position to negotiate with clubs. 

I think, even if their circumstances were different i.e. Gouffran and Sammy having another year on their deals, we'd still be struggling on account of them both being crap Premier League players

I think, even if their circumstances were different i.e. Gouffran and Sammy having another year on their deals, we'd still be struggling on account of them both being crap Premier League players

:lol: True.

So.... That suggests to me the land is valued £2.5m and Ashley's moved it into this company from MASH?

Like ewerk said MASH have basically forgiven a balance due to them. Such accounting practices are quite common with holding groups, especially the parent billing 'management fees' and the like down to subsidiary companies and then sometimes adjusting them in this manner. Doesnt really make a difference to the financials except moving the balance to equity from liabilities which helps improve some of their financial ratios/performance indicators with regards to solvency which say a bank etc might be looking at. 

No idea whats the exact case here as they havent disclosed what the balance was.

• 4 weeks later...

Spoke to another fan yesterday who told me, straight faced, that he "has a mate" at the training ground. Mike Ashley turned up, allegedly, to give Rafa a few ideas on how to run his training sessions. Rafa told him where to stick it, and since then Ashley has completely ceded control of all affairs to Benitez.

He said that it was Rafa's choice not to make any signings in January and he'll be in it for the long-term as he's now in charge of accounting :D

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt