Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt

Christmas Tree

MASH HOLDINGS owns 100% of Newcastle United, 100% of MASH Alpha and 74% of MASH BETA

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/06861426/filing-history

MASH ALPHA owns 26% of MASH BETA

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09347300/filing-history

MASH BETA owns 51% of Sports Direct

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09347448/filing-history

Just found out MASH holdings also owns 55% of Strawberry Place Limited, which I'd never seen before.  It was re-named in December and the Director is Ashley's daughter's lad - Michael Murray.

Nice Christmas present.

Ashley is a cancer that the club might never get rid of in the next 20 years.

Fuck off modern day football.

Btw, I went to Wikipedia to check his age. His picture shows him standing next to another bloke and is captioned "Mike Ashley (left) with Tup Tup Palace owner James Jukes in 2008". [emoji38]

Sums that cunt up.

:lol: What a fucking mess this seems to be.

It would be one thing if the bloke was fucking up by listening to a new bloke coming along. But he is seemingly listening to the blokes that should have been fired for prior fuck ups.

There's 3 possibilities and no-one knows what the reality is except Ashley, Rafa, Moxley and a couple of others...

1. Made up bollocks.  The best we can hope for, but indicates what we can expect going forward anyway.  The reporter is playing up to well founded fears and although some have refused to accept the story, that view is based solely on the timing, no-one thinks Ashley is incapable of doing something as stupid later on.

2. Club leak - Ashley, Rafa, Charnley and that all had a meeting and all agreed that this sort of  message could be put out. Rafa might be fully on board with the principle on condition it can be broken if he deems necessary on occasion.   It is a sensible approach most of the time after all, although Rafa added loads of experience last summer.  It could also be aimed only at telling selling clubs we won't pay over the odds for players without the potential to accrue value.  The only reason this would be an issue is it suggests Rafa being managed by those above and increases the chances of a clash like he had at Valencia before resigning, but we already feared it long term anyway (see 1).

3. Rafa or Ashley had it leaked without the other knowing to try and exert some pressure following the early window discussions.  This becomes a power play, like when Keegan challenged Ashley to show ambition before the season started.  It's a downward spiral quite quickly once this happens and we know Ashley will never back down the way Hall did.

With the £33m credit being extended, I'm inclined to think there will be something in it, but it's more number 2 than number 3.

Looks like it was option 3... and unfortunately, the green bit still stands.

I suspect this is at Charnley's feet to be honest. If he works on an annual bonus basis, as most CEOs do, then it's not inconceivable that it's linked to profit. If it is, he could have looked at that £30m and thought it would be a good means of lining his pockets. Especially if there's a possible takeover in the summer. But even if there isn't, he'd still consider it anyway because if he gets even 5% of that, he's quids in. He could get sacked and still be laughing.

I'm not attempting to exonerate Ashley since, if that kind of this is happening, it's something he should have considered. But I could see Charnley doing that. If we go up anyway, he'll probably even get away with it.

I'll never fathom the compulsion of some fans to exonerate Ashley.

Through dof system, scout system, board system and Rafa, ashey has ALWAYS held the purse strings and his approach has been always been consistent with January.

I suspect this is at Charnley's feet to be honest. If he works on an annual bonus basis, as most CEOs do, then it's not inconceivable that it's linked to profit. If it is, he could have looked at that £30m and thought it would be a good means of lining his pockets. Especially if there's a possible takeover in the summer. But even if there isn't, he'd still consider it anyway because if he gets even 5% of that, he's quids in. He could get sacked and still be laughing.

I'm not attempting to exonerate Ashley since, if that kind of this is happening, it's something he should have considered. But I could see Charnley doing that. If we go up anyway, he'll probably even get away with it.

There is no evidence that he is on a profit related bonus scheme.

There is no evidence that he is on a profit related bonus scheme.

It's just a hypothesis. Given he's on such a low salary though, it wouldn't be a surprise to see some manner of bonus scheme in place depending on his performance. Profit seems like a fairly standard one to use. The other would be actual league performance, but the likelihood is that it's somewhere between the two in order to balance his focus.

Yeah I just checked the same thing and I get your point, but he did get us relegated last year, so there's no guarantee that he would have actually earned one.

I find the notion that he's not on some manner of bonus scheme incredible, but I guess Ashley is a strange guy.

Edited by Rayvin

Is any PL chairman on a performance related bonus?

Fans would be up in arms at a profit related bonus and a bonus based on finishing position could lead to irresponsible spending to achieve that bonus in the short term. I don't see any positive motivation for a bonus.

Interesting but personally I'd lay this at the door of the organ grinder not the monkey's house.

Is any PL chairman on a performance related bonus?

Fans would be up in arms at a profit related bonus and a bonus based on finishing position could lead to irresponsible spending to achieve that bonus in the short term. I don't see any positive motivation for a bonus.

Good question - doesn't seem like many are based on this report in the Guardian (since it's only noted for a couple of clubs), but Levy is at Spurs, for instance:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/may/25/premier-league-finances-club-by-club-breakdown-david-conn

My thinking for Charnley was just that his salary is so much lower than you'd expect it to be for a company with a turnover of £100m+, that there must be something else getting paid to him. The alternative, which I can readily believe, is that he's subpar.

If it's all coming down to that Townsend deal it's a tough one for me. That was a shit deal. £2m for the loan and then £13m in the summer.

If it's all coming down to that Townsend deal it's a tough one for me. That was a shit deal. £2m for the loan and then £13m in the summer.

The sort of deal Ashley would put on the table and say "no less"

All well and good playing hard ball. But it leaves you only able to buy players that selling clubs don't value enough to hold their ground.

Rafa knows, if they're the only players you buy, you end up with a squad like the one he wants to improve.

• Andrew changed the title to Mike Ashley -- Irrelevant Cunt