Yohan Kebab,Depression & The Taxman(with chilli and garlic)

scoobos

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a serious note, people (on twitter) are pissing me off moaning about "no ambition", "typical NUFC" blah blah blah . Every player has his price; if Monaco offered a ridiculous amount of money for Cabaye, the only thing you can do is sell him. With the money we get for him we invest, use Graham Carr's scouting abilities and make the squad better. We're a self-sustaining club, this is what people aren't understanding. Mike Ashley isn't going to fork out his own money to buy us players, it's his own money and he has a right to do that. And in the long run it's better for the club. So...one of the best ways to fund transfers is to sell current players. That is where the "every player has his price" comes into play. Assuming, for example, we're making as much money as we're spending regardless of transfers...the money we get for Cabaye can be used by Pardew, Llambias and most importantly, Graham Carr, for the wages and transfer fees of other players. That is a good position to be in. Lets say the Cabaye transfer puts us at +£30M, we could hypothetically then go out and spend £30M on a player if we wanted to or we could let Graham Carr do his thing and find three £10M players that will make the squad better than it previously was.

And don't give me this "we won't invest back into the team wah wah" bullshit. Since we've been back in the Premier League we've brought in £64M from transfers and spent £64M....That is the exact definition of investing transfer money back into the team.

Edited by Bictor

I want Cabaye to stay but only if his head's in the right place and hasn't been turned by another club. I suspect that was half the problem last season.....

I want Cabaye to stay but only if his head's in the right place and hasn't been turned by another club. I suspect that was half the problem last season.....

9mIfirL.png

We're a self-sustaining club, this is what people aren't understanding. Mike Ashley isn't going to fork out his own money to buy us players, it's his own money and he has a right to do that. And in the long run it's better for the club.

By that I assume you're not counting the £250m (ish) that the club 'owes' Mike Ashley in personal loans? Pretty sure he hasn't written any of that off. Don't doubt for a minute that if we were ever to be sold he'd want that back, so essentially we're still in a vast amount of debt, just to a different lender.

I do agree with you though that if someone comes in for a player with a ridiculous offer we should snap it up. Ambition is sometimes about taking risks and we simply don't do that anymore, add Pardew's incompetence and we're going nowhere soon - just another 'also-ran', mid-table club that might occasionally get a break to sit with the real players for a season.

We have to accept that as long as we are going to be run the way we are we will sell our best players (regardless of whether this rumor is true) because we won't be able to cement a place in the top four so it's understandable that good players will want to play for the best teams.

If we re invest the money (seems something between twenty and twentyfive million is being talked about) it would certainly benefit us more than having Cabaye with his head not in the game like he was last season. That said he's a really good player who I'd rather we were able to keep a hold of.

By that I assume you're not counting the £250m (ish) that the club 'owes' Mike Ashley in personal loans? Pretty sure he hasn't written any of that off. Don't doubt for a minute that if we were ever to be sold he'd want that back, so essentially we're still in a vast amount of debt, just to a different lender.

I do agree with you though that if someone comes in for a player with a ridiculous offer we should snap it up. Ambition is sometimes about taking risks and we simply don't do that anymore, add Pardew's incompetence and we're going nowhere soon - just another 'also-ran', mid-table club that might occasionally get a break to sit with the real players for a season.

We don't owe Ashley £250 million. :up:

Betting suspended on this. If he goes ill be glad if its out the premier league, £25 million plus and I'd be delighted. Still would rather he stayed though.

I can see him going to Monaco as PSG don't need him as they already have Verratti who will eventually be a better player than Cabaye.

I can see him going to Monaco as PSG don't need him as they already have Verratti who will eventually be a better player than Cabaye.

Monaco have the jump on every team in France. If they offer Ronaldo £250k pw for example, PSG would need to pay him £1,000,000 pw just to match it thanks to the new super tax in France