So Let's Have It Out!

Christmas Tree

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's quite a lot of biscuits tbf.

Most of the time I'll eat a biscuit is if I pop round to my folks house and have one with a cuppa as they have a dedicated draw in the fridge for biscuits. (It's why I always make sure it's me who collects the kids when they've stayed there). ;)

Was going to put something similar about CT/Gemmill but nightshift fatigue set in and I couldn't be arsed.

Hoy a pick up of Miss Hendricks then, Fish! :)

Can't I'm at work

Biscuits in a fridge?

I'm not sure whether you're shocked at the storage option, or amazed that they make it out of the car on the way back from the supermarket...

Chocolate hob nobs. I don't buy them CIA I'd just eat them :(

The biggest treat we used to get at my grandma's house when we were kids was a Viscount biscuit, and she always had a tin full of pink wafers.

They mock him here, they mock him there, but once again CT knows his stuff :)

Custard cream of the crop! Britain's youngsters turn to traditional biscuits despite new temptations on offer.

Report reveals young Britons enjoy a traditional indulgent treat just as much as older generations.

Bourbons and custard creams among the favourite snacks for 16-24-year-olds

When it comes to shopping around for their favourite snacks, youngsters of today are spoiled for choice.

Thanks to the rise of the internet and social media, they are bombarded daily with advertising from new and upcoming brands keen for their cash.

But a new report has revealed that despite the many different and new temptations on offer, young Britons like nothing better than a traditional biscuit.

Posted Image

Classic favourites like custard creams and bourbons are top of the list with young Britons who enjoy a traditional indulgent treat just as much as older generations.

Rather than choosing new and innovative biscuits a new report out today has revealed that 16-24-year olds are more likely to opt for the brands popular when granny’s biscuit tin was being passed around.

Those in their teens and twenties have the biggest appetite for traditional British biscuits - with six in ten of them disagreeing that traditional biscuits are boring, compared to 55 per cent of their older counterparts aged 55 plus.

The new research was carried out by market research analysts Mintel.

Its senior food and drink analyst Alex Beckett said: 'The youth of Britain is growing up immersed in digital media, text-speak and cutting-edge gadgetry but this doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate a good old-fashioned Custard Cream.

'They may lack TV support or big-name brands, but the humble Bourbon, Malted Milk and Custard Cream are cherished by teens and students.

'Maybe the lack of try-hard advertising appeals to them - or maybe these biscuits are just better value than the increasingly chocolate-laden new launches. Either way, the youth of austerity Britain has respect for our biscuit heritage.'

It's not for lack of choice that consumers are turning to classic biscuits - as innovation in the UK biscuit market has never been higher.

Furthermore, it is mainly younger consumers seeking solace in a biscuit as the majority (70 per cent) of 16-24 year-olds would opt for biscuits as an indulgent treat, compared to 62 per cent of the over 55s.

Mature consumers, however, are far more likely to keep the time-honoured tradition of dunking alive - only 46 per cent of younger consumers (16-24) enjoy a biscuit with a hot drink as opposed to 63 per cent of the over 45s.

The survey of 1,500 people showed that an increasing number of Brits can’t keep their hands from the cookie jar - with 86 per cent of Brits in 2011 eating sweet biscuits compared to 83 per cent in 2010.

Today, 15 per cent of Brits confess to eating sweet biscuits once a day or more and nearly half (47 per cent) admit they like to treat themselves with foods that are not good for them.

And when it comes to eating occasions, it seems biscuits are seen as a good way to help productivity, with nearly two in five (38 per cent) Brits munching on them at work or college or university, rising to 58 per cent users in full-time education.

But despite Britain’s biscuit love - there is one thing casting a shadow across the popularity of the biscuit - the guilt factor.

And when it comes to eating occasions, it seems biscuits are seen as a good way to help productivity, with nearly two in five (38 per cent) Brits munching on them at work or college or university, rising to 58 per cent users in full-time education.

But despite Britain’s biscuit love - there is one thing casting a shadow across the popularity of the biscuit - the guilt factor.