Sporting Achievements

Christmas Tree

So, Murrays has done what most of us have grew up thinking was impossible, a Brit winning Wimbledon.

But is this the greatest sporting achievement in recent history?

What other achievements should make up a top 10 of the last 20 years?

Bolt's 200m record

Johnson's 400m record

Honourable mentions to Mike Powell and Jonathan Edwards.

That kid basically sprinting all of the 800m at last year's Olympics was insane as well. Never seen anything like it.

Redgrave as well.

"That" Saturday night at the London Olympics last year when Ennis, Farah and Rutherford all won gold within an hour of each other.

I was at work doing an emergency caesarian and missed the whole bloody lot :lol:

Bolt's 200m record

Johnson's 400m record

Honourable mentions to Mike Powell and Jonathan Edwards.

That kid basically sprinting all of the 800m at last year's Olympics was insane as well. Never seen anything like it.

Redgrave as well.

Why not Bolts 100m record out of interest?

He initially broke the world record running sideways over the line :lol:

null_zps131c62d2.jpg

"That" Saturday night at the London Olympics last year when Ennis, Farah and Rutherford all won gold within an hour of each other.

I was at work doing an emergency caesarian and missed the whole bloody lot :lol:

I was on ICU resuscitating a clapped out septic patient. The recently extubated overdose in the next bed was watching it on the telly though so I still saw the lot.

I find comparing sporting achievements a bit futile but Murray's win isn't even the "best" in his own sport in the last five years, apart from the fact he's British IMO. Nadal, 11 months older than Murray, has just won his EIGHTH French open, after beating a fully fired Djokovic in an epic five sets, for example.

If you're after best British achievement I'd put the exploits of some of our more decorated Olympians (Hoy, Redgrave) above Murray's very impressive feat.

I was sat, half cut on my sofa, thoroughly enjoying it, sorry. The Olympics are always a source of personal achievements that are basically incomprehensible to me because I'm a right lazy bastard, basically. Anyone that devotes that much time to a sport and becomes, literally, the best in the world at it, deserves everything they get in terms of accomplishment.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Do you work in the RVI @@catmag? Mrs Happy Face had to go into theatre for a sticky placenta on Monday afternoon...you may have worked on her :)

Do you work in the RVI @@catmag? Mrs Happy Face had to go into theatre for a sticky placenta on Monday afternoon...you may have worked on her :)

I'm the other side of the river at the QE. Have you had your bambino?? :o

Although that's a really stupid question! If she's had a retained placenta then it kind of follows (or precedes!) that a baby came before it!

Congratulations pet :)

It might be small minded but I don't really care about other sporting achievements or even non NUFC football ones.

Highlight of the last twenty years for me was Cole's forty one.

I don't know if it's small minded, but you're gonna have very little to get excited about between now and you're death.

I don't know how you can just turn off the ability to be impressed by sporting achievements though.

I don't know if it's small minded, but you're gonna have very little to get excited about between now and you're death.

I don't know how you can just turn off the ability to be impressed by sporting achievements though.

Things do impress me and I can enjoy them to a certain degree- I just don't feel as involved as I do with NUFC -probably to too much of a difference.

To be fair though, England's footballers finish 5-8 in a competition with a lot of good teams and are underachieving arseholes. The UK (3 more nations in) Olympic team finishes 3rd in a competition at home with arguably less good nations around and are all heroes.

Messi's 91 goals will always better some posh people getting a medal in a sport than about 1000 other people worldwide play.

This (although partly 'cos I was there).

I was in a village in Wales in one of the worst pissed states I've ever been going from pub to pub, can just remember my family congregating in this one dive to watch it as Farah won gold, brilliant moment.