Has the Internet turned the average football supporter into a moaning girls blouse?

Christmas Tree

And this is what it all results in

Posted Image

Newcastle United fans’ groups met last night in an attempt to form a joint strategy to force Mike Ashley out of the club.

The Chronicle can reveal that among the tactics discussed was a boycott of the home Capital One Cup tie against Leeds United on September 25, an idea that has the backing of some supporters.

Last night’s meeting was arranged to gauge the widespread opinion among Newcastle fans about the current regime and what, if anything, they can do to change the club’s current ownership.

Various fan groups believe now is the time for them to be united and co-ordinate protests against the club owner, whatever form they may take. One idea, put forward on social media, is to arrange a march on a match-day to St James’ Park.

A poll in The Chronicle conducted in May found that Ashley’s approval rating was high among the majority of fans, although those on the other side of the debate wanted the billionaire businessman out of the club.

But the appointment of Joe Kinnear as Director of Football and the subsequent failure to add more than Loic Remy on loan to one of the smallest Premier League squads in terms of senior players during the transfer window has changed the minds of many supporters who had previously backed the board.

Sources we spoke to yesterday admitted the feeling across all Newcastle supporters was a boycott would be a last resort as it goes against their natural instinct, which is to back the team.

But it has not been ruled, such is the anger and frustration currently felt by the Toon Army.

One told us: “Many have paid out for 10-year season tickets so Ashley has their money. So boycotting those games wouldn’t mean much.

“But if we stayed away from a game, such as the cup tie with Leeds that is not on the season ticket, that would hit him in the pocket.

“This isn’t something Newcastle fans want to do because we love going to the game and supporting the team.”

Now the nationals will pick it up and the muppets on talk sport and we'll have another week or so of the Newcastle circus, and all because we only signed 5 first teamers this year. It's just OTT and the chronicle has fell hook line and sinker for it.

As for prospective future owners. Nice advert.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1989-stb.jpg

I was taken to my first game in 1985, I was 7, that's 28 years ago and as long as I've been going we've had right moaning cunts, I'm one of them. It's no worse now than it was 20 years ago, probably not as bad due to the fact the majority of geordies stopped being proper geordies some time ago. Many are the type who watch grand designs and think it's acceptable to go to a restaurant with their lass and spend three figures.

1989-stb.jpg

I was taken to my first game in 1985, I was 7, that's 28 years ago and as long as I've been going we've had right moaning cunts, I'm one of them. It's no worse now than it was 20 years ago, probably not as bad due to the fact the majority of geordies stopped being proper geordies some time ago. Many are the type who watch grand designs and think it's acceptable to go to a restaurant with their lass and spend three figures.

Newcastle has always had that class of people throughout its history, that's why we arent Sunderland.

I think you mean football fans, not geordies.

1989-stb.jpg

guilty on both counts :lol:

Try this CT...

http://spender.giftsuperstore.net/i/269770/spender-the-complete-series-on-dvd.htm

Theres an episode of Spender filmed at SJP with footage of lads on the pitch with banners etc if you want to see what it actually looked like..

You are trying to clever and over simplifying matters.

1. The type of football fan who attended in those days was a lot different to today's as was society in general.

2. There was a lot more to be sick about in those days. We constantly sold star players and lost a very popular manager in Arthur.

You are trying to clever and over simplifying matters.

1. The type of football fan who attended in those days was a lot different to today's as was society in general.

2. There was a lot more to be sick about in those days. We constantly sold star players and lost a very popular manager in Arthur.

But you put it very simply in the first post in this thread; todays fans moan more than those of yesteryear. You certainly hadnt mentioned the gentrification of the fanbase as a possible reason until Stevie put the idea into your head.

But you put it very simply in the first post in this thread; todays fans moan more than those of yesteryear. You certainly hadnt mentioned the gentrification of the fanbase as a possible reason until Stevie put the idea into your head.

I think you better slow down and read that first post again :)

I was very clear in that first post that the 80's fans had a lot more to complain about so not sure what paper clips from the 80's contribute.

Edited by Christmas Tree

I started going to the match mid 80s. But not properly. Just now and again with my mates. Remember once cycling down while my mates took the piss from the back of the bus as I needed to save what pennies I had :lol:

Anyway, late 80s and I started to drink in the West Denton club or the Dyke on a Friday night. EVERYONE moaned about the club. The old fuckers were the worst but we respected their opinion on it as they'd been around the block and actually seen us win something. Think about it, some of them went in the 50s when we were class and now were in the 80s when we were shite. You can draw parallels now. The only difference is that now we have social media and not have to wait until we see each other in the club/pub.

Still miss the "pink" btw.

I started going to the match mid 80s. But not properly. Just now and again with my mates. Remember once cycling down while my mates took the piss from the back of the bus as I needed to save what pennies I had :lol: Anyway, late 80s and I started to drink in the West Denton club or the Dyke on a Friday night. EVERYONE moaned about the club. The old fuckers were the worst but we respected their opinion on it as they'd been around the block and actually seen us win something. Think about it, some of them went in the 50s when we were class and now were in the 80s when we were shite. You can draw parallels now. The only difference is that now we have social media and not have to wait until we see each other in the club/pub. Still miss the "pink" btw.

Have you just come "out"?

I started going to the match mid 80s. But not properly. Just now and again with my mates. Remember once cycling down while my mates took the piss from the back of the bus as I needed to save what pennies I had :lol:

Anyway, late 80s and I started to drink in the West Denton club or the Dyke on a Friday night. EVERYONE moaned about the club. The old fuckers were the worst but we respected their opinion on it as they'd been around the block and actually seen us win something. Think about it, some of them went in the 50s when we were class and now were in the 80s when we were shite. You can draw parallels now. The only difference is that now we have social media and not have to wait until we see each other in the club/pub.

I think the difference you have now is that a couple of thousand 15 year olds on the #nufc has tag, harassing journalists to "ask the hard questions" can give a great imbalance to what the average fan actually wants to happen.

As somebody said earlier, people are more twatish online.

Personally I get the impression that our local journos are being led more by online reaction than the 50,000 who turn up.

This type of situation and reaction between 2000 15 year olds (for example) and journalists has no precedent in history.

Didn't miss the pink when we lost :lol:

when i were a lad, men were real men. i used to live in a paper bag in a septic tank. i had to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt .... if we were lucky

when i were a lad, men were real men. i used to live in a paper bag in a septic tank. i had to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt .... if we were lucky

Luxury

We couldn't afford footballs, so used house bricks.

You had a house? Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

You had a house? Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.

try tell that to people today and they won't believe you.

You were lucky