Cardiff - Newcastle

Aeris

It was just starting to gel with Remy left, Cisse middle and Barfa right. Green shoots were there for all to see. Changing it was stupid and we paid the price.

That said, not a shocking change.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't actually refering to change around in our attack CT, rather the midfield.

I agree with Jamouse that the reason it was all changed round was to try and combat Baines (as well as giving Gouffran a deserved chance after Cisse's recent form). And in that respect it worked because Baines wasn't anywhere near the threat he'd been in the last couple of games we played against them.

I think the playing of three fairly defensive midfielders and them sitting back allowed Everton to push forward and put our piss poor defenders under the cosh.

I'd play Dummett in place of Santon who's looked dreadful so far this season (I'm assuming Haidara is injured?) and I'd be tempted to drop Mbiwa too although Williamson wouldn't be someone I'd play in place of him.

Tiote can drop back down to bench with Cabaye coming back in. I'd be tempted to stay with the same front three.

Tom, do you reckon that's the reason they switched ben arfa? I assumed it was because gouffran would be more effective at tracking baines where as coleman is'nt as much a threat. Funny how people read into things differently. You could well be right though

Both make sense - and with Gouffran actually being really decent at tracking back I'm leaning towards your answer a little more than mine. :up:

I think losing the midfield battle in the first half had nothing to do with the goals we conceded mind - that's clutching at straws a little - especially if you watch the goals back - all three were criminal defensive errors by multiple players. If an academy player made that mistake in an U18's game he's got a chance of having his contract torn up.

I mean the first was error after error and we weren't sat deep we were pushed up. Colo couldn't direct a header correctly, Santon was beaten to it by Mirralas who he couldn't keep up with (as CT correctly pointed out - I think with Jonas there that goal wouldn't have been conceded). Lukaku free in the box - unmarked and unchallenged - despite both our centre halves being in the box.

It was shocking stuff and the less said about the second and third the better - they were all bloody gifts. It's not the first time we've seen Colo go to sleep after having shit himself either - remember how he played with Bale in front of him? Backing off and backing off until it was 2-1. Too late.

Luckily it's fairly rare with him

It's hard for people because you know ''Everton'' but people have to appreciate they are a good side with a cracking home record and it looks as if they are only getting better.

Trouble is it was 'only' Hull as well. Heads are dropping far too quick and the white flag is being waved too soon when a bit of pressure is applied and it's been happening from last season. It's a worry that we can score twice in the last two games and get beat in both those games.

The first goal (well all the goals) was a comedy of errors in defence but if you think about the first half as a whole, we were constantly pushed back with midfield offering no help or service to the attackers. You can't just look at those three individual instances, you have to consider all of what went on around them and see what led up to them.

I don't think anyone is defending the back five but you also have to look at what pressure they were being put under. The more pressure there is the more chance of mistakes and we were under pressure right from the kick off.

I also agree that our heads drop far too easily these days. If we go down I never expect us to come back.

I'd not be surprised to see a line up not dissimilar to the team that took the field against Hull. Everton was aberrant displays by individuals and a system designed to counter the wrong threat. It seemed to me that we were set up to control the middle of the pitch and try and hit them on the counter. We didn't deal with Lukaku and the attacks down the wing.

Cabaye in the centre instead of Tiote or Sissoko and perhaps Dummet at Left Back instead of Santon? Release something saying that he's picked up a knock, take him out of the firing range.

Obertan in for HBA? that has to be an injury if true.

Has to be more than an injury, Pardew looking for the boot! Obertan in?!?!

Surely Pardew must realise he's either a cup player or an impact sub at best - I honestly can't remember a game he's started where I've thought he had potential for 90 minutes. Last 15 maybe, but even that has been few and far between.

I'd much rather see Sameobi start if he is dropping Barfa through performance / injury, far more deserving of a Premier League start IMO.

Obertan to start? Pardew has to be amazed how much he can fuck this team up down to the very fundaments, without Ashley even hinting at sacking him for it. Probably what Ashley wants though, maybe his mom was raped by a Geordie once and when he finally got the money to get his sweet revenge, he decided to rape the most beloved thing in Newcastle, their football club.

Edited by Aeris

Obertan to start? Pardew has to be amazed how much he can fuck this team up down to the very fundaments, without Ashley even hinting at sacking him for it. Probably what Ashley wants though, maybe his mom was raped by a Geordie once and when he finally got the money to get his sweet revenge, he decided to rape the most beloved thing in Newcastle, their football club.

His Mam and Dad have a box - the best box - in St.James' Park.

Suddenly it all makes sense.

This comes from Mark Douglas (journal) and is obviously whispers from inside the club not official team news.

The 3 omissions are the "drastic action" Douglas says Pardew is considering, however Im just guessing that it would be Obertan replacing Ben Arfa based on Pardews recent outpourings about him.

I'm on the phone but anyone who follows him on twitter can maybe link to the article.

My god, there's some people I dont agree with...how can I denegrate their opinions?

Actually, I agreed with your post. Most of the stuff before that was barely even opinion, it was largely ignorance-driven over-reacting.