BBB - bring back barton

desmondTUTU

I don't mind Barton and I usually find myself sticking up for him when something like this happens. I might be biased because, as someone who has been stigmatised for losing my temper a few times in and outside the workplace myself, I tend to be a fairly sympathetic to the likes of Barton, Keane etc. I think he's a very easy target for the papers and also for the largely polite, middle class demographic that follow football these days. He's obviously got anger issues but from what I've seen of him in interviews I wouldn't be surprised if he's good company in person - I dare say I'd rather have a pint with him than 90% of other high profile modern players. That sending off against Liverpool was really the only time I really found it hard to give him the benefit of the doubt, and as for this latest thing at Rangers we don't know any of the details yet. He's also a better footballer than most people give him credit for.

I've always liked him. He's only got good things to say about NUFC. Not sure if this story's done the round before, but...

Barton skewers Mike Ashley, Newcastle United’s owner, with a simple story. When Barton was released from prison on bail he was placed in the care of Peter Kay in Southampton – and only allowed out between 7am and 7pm. Kay had convinced the judge that, while he would counsel Barton, the footballer would be more balanced if he played the game he loved.

“Ashley offered me his helicopter,” Barton remembers, “as my curfew meant Pete and I needed to fly to and from training in Newcastle. It seemed really generous until I got an eye‑boggling invoice. It was business after all.”

Edited by rogerbarton

“Ashley’s choice of Alan Pardew to succeed Chris was cunning, because of his working-class, building-site background.

“He is one of the better managers I have played for, but I don’t think the fans ever related to him.

“He justified their prejudices because he looked like a stereotypical wide boy.

“He fancied himself a little too obviously for their tastes.

“The average Geordie who works his b**locks off can’t bring himself to give a good-looking Cockney lad the benefit of the doubt.

“He is much more comfortable with the grittiness of one of his own. That’s why Alan Shearer is idolised and Pards mistrusted.

“Rightly or wrongly, he was seen as Ashley’s ambassador and apologist.”

“He wasn’t exactly welcomed with open arms by the players.

“We were seething at the way they had got rid of Chris and once we got wind of Pardew’s impending arrival, during an afternoon conditioning session in the gym at the training ground, there was a full-scale rebellion. We weren’t having him at any price.”

Barton also goes on to describe the scene at the club’s training ground, he went on: “Llambias was responsible for an unforgettable ‘I am Spartacus’ episode when he swaggered into the dressing room.

‘I’ve heard a few of you have got a problem with our appointment’, he said, with confidence that suggested he considered himself the owner’s Rottweiler, rather than his poodle.

‘Who are you?, Let’s be seeing you.’ I stood up straight away: ‘Me.’

“Smudger was almost on tiptoe: ‘Me.’ Harps did an impromptu impression of a Schmeichel starburst: ‘Me.’

“The skipper, Nobby, wasn’t about to be left out: ‘Me’.”

Fuck you gritty Geordies, not willing to give a good looking Londoner a chance after your week down the mines.

“When Fabricio Coloccini, who spoke little English, was named as Newcastle’s new captain I knew my days were numbered, and that the club was changing around me.

“I was officially recognised as vice-captain, but when Coloccini missed a pre-season friendly against Leeds United at the end of July 2011, I was overlooked again.

“That was a deliberately provocative act, since it belittled me in the eyes of my team-mates. I went mad, told Pardew to **** off, and refused to shake his hand before the game.

“He took offence, and everyone else took to the trenches.

“I was ordered to train alone, and made available on a free transfer.”

“I wasn’t going to bow and scrape to the likes of Llambias and Ashley.

“I was at war with them, and had the means to answer back on my own terms. Newcastle United sent me a legal letter, warning that I would be in breach of contract if I used my Twitter account to comment on club affairs, but it was too late, the genie was already out of the bottle.”

So his anti-Ashley stance is nothing to do with being on the fans' side, all to do with being on Joey Barton's side.

I said it at the time, he opened the Twitter account and went out of his way to abuse the MA & DL to get himself a move because the new contract he was offered was inferior to the one he'd signed when he joined. I can't believe the amount of people who have time for this blatantly self serving cunt. At least others have the common sense to put up a facade of decency.

Think he gets adulation because it was perceived as him against Ashley, particularly when the latter was despised almost universally amongst Newcastle fans. He didn't do much for the club on the pitch in proportion to the time he spent here though.

Unsurprisingly, Lee Ryder is a fan.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/joey-barton-book-newcastle-fans-11918432

Barton suffered a series of injury setbacks during his four years at the club. I covered all of his comeback matches including a night at Kingston Park when he was recovering from a foot injury when the Chronicle were the only media who turned up to report on the game.

What exactly is the point of that second sentence?

• Haha 1

:lol: Implies that Pardew wasn't really a crony of Ashley by saying he was rightly or wrongly seen that way then follows with a story about how Pardew dropped him from the side and forced him to train by himself and puts the blame squarely on Ashley. 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The Sun (I knaarr) are reporting Barton knocked out two of the blokes teeth. I’m sure Barton’s actions were some sort of homage to the writings of Immanuel Kant that we are all simply not smart enough to understand 

Edited by Howay

6 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

:lol: I'm sure he can't help being a hot head. Probably won't work in football again now though 

He’s definitely got some issues. He seemed better for a while after he went to Tony Adams for a bit (that might have been more for the booze though?). 

Aye I think that’s likely finished him with football, I think he’ll be lucky to avoid some sort of prison sentence if it is as bad as reported given his priors. 

A man has been arrested following an alleged altercation between Fleetwood boss Joey Barton and Barnsley head coach Daniel Stendel at Oakwell.

The man attended a police station on Wednesday where he was arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order offence and racially aggravated assault.

He remains in custody for questioning.

What a knob.