BBB - bring back barton

desmondTUTU

• 2 years later...

In the book, he talks of a sliding-doors moment in 2004 when he met Gerard Houllier at Melwood to agree a deal to sign for Liverpool. Then Houllier was sacked, and in came Rafa Benítez who signed Xabi Alonso.

Ridiculously, Barton held it against Alonso and, five years later, smashed into the Spaniard while playing for Newcastle United at Anfield. That dismissal would lead to one of many explosive bust-ups in the book when Alan Shearer, Newcastle’s interim manager, raged at Barton’s indiscipline — “you’re a f***ing coward” — and the player responded with interest.

When Iain Dowie, Shearer’s assistant, intervened to stop a fight, Barton delivered the insult: “You keep it shut, boxing-glove head.”

“One of the best put-downs I’ve ever come up with,” Barton laughs. “Let’s face it, Dowie’s never going to be accused of being a natural beauty. But I’ve moved past that [incident]. It was a time and a place. There is no animosity on my part.”

According to the Beeb he's 'deeply unpopular' in the changing room and will never play for Rangers again. Also being investigated as part of a betting probe now.

I have a bit of time for him, certainly compared to your average PL professional player but he's also delusional and arrogant. I bet he thinks the one decent season he had here makes up for all the shit he caused

Joey Barton arrogant? Nah, never.

“Let’s look at who is doing the key roles,” he says. “Sam Allardyce as England manager. Well, am I a better player than Sam? Well, yeah, of course I was. Do I believe, if Sam can get to be England manager then I can? Of course I do. What’s Sam got that I haven’t got?”

That interview he did with Clive Woodward (as part of a series the latter did) was canny but he came out with a gem when he said if he'd worked with Stevie Black at the start of his career he'd have become England captain.

It seems to work for a large enough proportion of people, mind :D

Should've known... his books out this week and the 3 weeks suspension handed down by his club fits in nicely with his promo tour. A fuckin charlatan who shouldn't be anywhere near professional team sport.

I bear a grudge against Barton for that sending off to this fuckin day. It's easily the most stupid thing I've ever seen a Newcastle Unitec player do. Dyer v Bowyer doesn't come close.

Couldn't believe the fans applauding him off.

I have a bit of time for him, certainly compared to your average PL professional player but he's also delusional and arrogant. I bet he thinks the one decent season he had here makes up for all the shit he caused

I have had probably more than enough time for him over the years, but honestly he comes across like an unrepentant cunt recently.