The Chelsea match thread

hostile_statue

This for me - he desperately wants to succeed so you can't really say he's just coasting. I was going to liken him to WIlliamson who is limited but always tries (and so can't really be disliked), but he's actually better than that, and strives to succeed more visibly. He isn't perfect and definitely costs us points on occasion, but sometimes I wonder if anyone could come in and do a job with this team given the limitations of the senior management structure. For all we know, Pardew could have been asking for better coaches for months but has simply been ignored.

My great fear is that he's a decent manager undermined by those above him, and when he goes we'll see a crap manager being undermined with a much more damaging outcome.

I think if we replaced him with someone like Mourinho, who seems to be the current PL benchmark for capable management for one reason or another, we'd still not see a significant upturn in fortunes.

is about the best summising i have heard about the bigger situation in a while.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

suppose mourinho came here (which he wouldn't) ashley or kinnear would do something stupid within a week or two, the teddies would be out of the pram and mourinho would walk away. there's isnt many people who could/would do a job under these clowns.

Of course many managers would do better, that's the thing; Pardew knows he'll never get a job this big again, when he was appointed Newcastle manager his CV read Charlton, Reading, West Ham and Southampton, all you have to say really.
You could say he's crap/average enough to manage us, or you could say he's about the best we can get with the present regime. Either way, it's not a good thing...

Edited by hostile_statue

No, I'm saying  Colo plus Mbiwa is first choice partnership and we were missing that (even though we have 50% of it.)

It's clear that Colo adds so much to whomever he plays with, but when he's alongside Mbiwa, the boost he gives is more noticeable. To me any way. I mean, Williamson is one of those players that no matter the league he played in, you'd say he was average for that level. Taylor could have been a top class centre half, had it not been for poor coaching and zero stability. I think Mbiwa will be quality, he's got the tools to be a Colo, definitely.

Mike Williamson has played 25 of the 33 clean sheets we've had since promotion

That may be true, but he almost forces the team to adopt a long ball style (usually because he's the one playing them) as he lacks the confidence to play the ball on the floor under pressure. Whereas if you watch Colo, he has enough technical ability to shield the ball and then pass it on.

As for the other point on Pardew - at least he went for the win against Chelsea rather than a draw. We tend to either win or get hammered, but we're not really a parking the bus team. Although sometimes our dearth of quality up front makes it seem that way.

The thing is, you can only play what you've got. Williamson is an easy target for stick as he's neither cultured or local but he's still the 2nd best centre half at this club. The rights and wrongs of that lie solely with the men at the top.

With that stat are you suggesting that he should be considered ahead of Taylor or Mbiwa?

How many of those clean sheets were 0-0s, how many were against opposition who're lightweight up front, how many of those clean sheets did Colo play? How many of those clean sheets were at home?

And so on.

He's simply not good enough, he has the turning circle of an organised religion, little pace, less sense, no assurance on the ball, he's handsy in the box and is called Mike. His crimes are legion.

With that stat are you suggesting that he should be considered ahead of Taylor or Mbiwa?

How many of those clean sheets were 0-0s, how many were against opposition who're lightweight up front, how many of those clean sheets did Colo play? How many of those clean sheets were at home?

And so on.

He's simply not good enough, he has the turning circle of an organised religion, little pace, less sense, no assurance on the ball, he's handsy in the box and is called Mike. His crimes are legion.

Just Taylor. I think the "Geordie" boy gets an easier ride.

Just Taylor. I think the "Geordie" boy gets an easier ride.

I'd not have him ahead of Taylor because although they're both prone to errors, both a bit rash, Taylor is a quicker, stronger, better in the air.

But it's choosing between Shit with a side of rice or chips.

If Taylor was to have a consistent run of games he might eliminate some of the ridiculous aspects from his game. However it's because of those aspects and a poor injury record that he's never had a good long consistent run and there absolutely no reason to believe that that will change at this late stage of his career. Therefore the first choice defensive pairing going forward should be M'Biwa and Coloccini. For all his shortcomings through his pure height Williamson's absense will be felt.

How?

:lol:

That was at the leazes end and we were in the Gallowgate so too far to be sure what happened. We all commented on it but never thought it was THAT mad. Doesn't look like he even glances at the ball at any time in the build up.

I'm not sure what Williamson needs to do. He's a very ordinary footballer, but he's a good defender and we look more solid with him in the side.

M'Biwa and Collocini's 1st half display at Everton will live long in the memory as some of the most horrid defending I've seen by any NUFC defensive partnership.

For me either Williamson or Taylor need to be in the side, neith Collo or M'Biwa attack the ball. At the moment Williamson deserves to be in the side on merit.

Williamson is another awful footballer. He's terified when he gets the ball at his feet and a lot of the time it's like we're playing with ten men because the other players don't have the confidence to pass to him. If he tries to pass the ball it could go anywhere so he generally just punts it long (both Colo and Mbiwa play long balls but generally they're looking to play it to someone where as he doesn't).

His heading is also shite. Most of them just balloon up into the air in a similar way to Andy O'Brien (actually they're very similar players for me).

He does do the odd bit of good defending (like the ball he won in the box right at the end to help preserve the clean sheet on Saturday) and people who try to defend him pick up on each one of them, but they are far too infrequent where as the fuck ups happen all too often.

The problem I see is that I'm not sure that Colo and Mbiwa look ideally suited to playing with each other. They are both good players and I think given the chance we will see Mbiwa improve quite a bit. But neither of them are dominant centerhalves and they struggle with balls played in at them in the air. I think Mbiwa was always bought with the thought that he was going to replace Colo rather than partner him and with our coatching limitations it makes me worry worry that we won't ever be able to mould them into an effective partnership. Which then means leaving Mbiwa out and a choice between balser boy and Williamson to play with Colo. Both of them options will result in a lack of stability because Taylor gets injured every five games or so and William inevitably has a stinking run which means he has to be dropped.

:lol:

That was at the leazes end and we were in the Gallowgate so too far to be sure what happened. We all commented on it but never thought it was THAT mad. Doesn't look like he even glances at the ball at any time in the build up.

From my seat in the east stand you could see it perfectly. We were absolutely stunnded when he did it. I just wish he had more of that level of awareness in his general play!

Williamson is another awful footballer. He's terified when he gets the ball at his feet and a lot of the time it's like we're playing with ten men because the other players don't have the confidence to pass to him. If he tries to pass the ball it could go anywhere so he generally just punts it long (both Colo and Mbiwa play long balls but generally they're looking to play it to someone where as he doesn't).

His heading is also shite. Most of them just balloon up into the air in a similar way to Andy O'Brien (actually they're very similar players for me).

He does do the odd bit of good defending (like the ball he won in the box right at the end to help preserve the clean sheet on Saturday) and people who try to defend him pick up on each one of them, but they are far too infrequent where as the fuck ups happen all too often.

The problem I see is that I'm not sure that Colo and Mbiwa look ideally suited to playing with each other. They are both good players and I think given the chance we will see Mbiwa improve quite a bit. But neither of them are dominant centerhalves and they struggle with balls played in at them in the air. I think Mbiwa was always bought with the thought that he was going to replace Colo rather than partner him and with our coatching limitations it makes me worry worry that we won't ever be able to mould them into an effective partnership. Which then means leaving Mbiwa out and a choice between balser boy and Williamson to play with Colo. Both of them options will result in a lack of stability because Taylor gets injured every five games or so and William inevitably has a stinking run which means he has to be dropped.

Aye, I agree with that. Very limited but honest defender.

I think, for the level we're apparently aiming at, Colo and Mbiwa can work together, but yeah, if we were ambitious we would need a more aggressive centre half.

Like, oh, I dunno... Douglas?

Thanks Obama!

Thinking about that second goal, there are few things in life that evoke more relief in life than a goal like that, when you've feeling nervous and tense as you are when you're only 1 up going into the last part of a match.

Edited by Monroe Transfer

It was crazy because the atmosphere was quite nervous at that point even though we were having the best of the game . That piece of play seemed to go much quicker in 'real time' or whatever and suddenly Remy smacks it and among all the noise & the 50'000 people you still here it smack in off the post before the roar goes up.

Magic.

Followed by hours more drinking & singing songs :banana: