US election 2016

Happy Face

Tbf I called HF stupid once only on account that:

1) He has continually championed wikileaks, in particular the selective release of ones that cast the Clinton campaign in a bad light.

2) He is surprised and somewhat dismayed at the result.

Now, we all know that the negative content of these leaks was minimal, nothing compared to the revelations of Trump or even his onstage antics. But that wasn't the point for Assange. They fed the narrative of crooked Hillary and that was almost certainly enough to swing it against her in some of the key marginals. So I think it's a pretty stupid position to hold personally.

It's done now, and a few on here have convinced themselves it's for the best. I sincerely don't think this or Brexit are for the best at all, I think they are huge retrograde steps which may negatively impact us all. That's conjecture at this stage but brexit has been shite so far. Globally, thus is much, much worse.

Call that a meltdown if you like, just wanted to clarify my position.

I agree - Brexit and Trump are not going to improve our lives. But they were inevitable.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) He has continually championed wikileaks, in particular the selective release of ones that cast the Clinton campaign in a bad light.

What was selective about the release of emails?

Ultimately she didn't have a kill shot for Trump and she got involved down in the gutter with him with regard to fear and legitimacy. He managed to label her a corporate stooge and this stuck. He managed to pose her as the poster child for everything that is wrong in Washington.

Drain the swamp etc...

Lying Ted Cruise

Low energy Jeb Bush

'Little' Marco Rubio

Crooked Hilary....All killshots.

Edited by Park Life

Ultimately she didn't have a kill shot for Trump and she got involved down in the gutter with him with regard to fear and legitimacy. He managed to label her a corporate stooge and this stuck. He managed to pose her as the poster child for everything that is wrong in Washington.

Drain the swamp etc...

Lying Ted Cruise

Low energy Jeb Bush

'Little' Marco Rubio

Crooked Hilary....All killshots.

It is unbelievable that these baseless insults did actually contribute to his victory. They should pick their next president via rap battle.

It is unbelievable that these baseless insults did actually contribute to his victory. They should pick their next president via rap battle.

Yup. He kept it so simple it was like hypnosis. ;)

His hand movements became more graceful and he just used a lot of repetition. Graceful hand movement disengages the brain....Hillary no hand movements. Often standing stock still while speaking.

Trump made a lot of future frenzy statements..."I will do this....I will do that etc..."  The mind can't process all this stuff...Then he drops cadence and makes a joke and the audience think ah...it's ok...They hand over control because he gives uncertainty than a feeling of calm...

Edited by Park Life

The biggest impact this will have on people's lives is the tantrums and mind fucking that they'll inflict on themselves in the coming days. You didn't vote for him, it's not your fault, it's not even your country. So calm down and shut your moy.

Markets are more or less flat. Where is the financial meltdown we were promised?

Just read that his speech headed off some of the worst of it. It was actually quite gracious, given what's gone before.

Ok :lol:

Maybe it's all a bit too raw at the moment. I agree that the people voting for this are the less well educated fwiw - but they're intelligent enough to know when they're being shafted, it would seem.

They might think they're being shafted, but they haven't a fucking clue who is doing the shafting. So when that reality tv star who claims to be rich says it's them other people, well that's just fine.

Parky, any advances in AI which can give us hope that our Robot Overlords are nearly ready to sort this mess out?

Markets are more or less flat. Where is the financial meltdown we were promised?

I thought the FTSE and Tokyo are down? Mexico's currency is down 9% as well, isn't it?

If he lasts four years I'm not convinced that he will/can run again. He has made so many bold promises that he can't possibly deliver on that it would kill him in the GE.

I enjoyed him promising to double GDP growth. Errr Donald, you've won now. The time for insane promises is over.

They might think they're being shafted, but they haven't a fucking clue who is doing the shafting. So when that reality tv star who claims to be rich says it's them other people, well that's just fine.

Parky, any advances in AI which can give us hope that our Robot Overlords are nearly ready to sort this mess out?

Well, they do know actually - they've just hit the people doing the shafting square in the jaw. What they don't understand is how or why they're being shafted. Fully agree that Trump is a bizarre person to carry their message, but it doesn't look like they were going to get anyone better, given that Sanders was shot down by the DNC.

What was selective about the release of emails?

There was no counterbalance of Trump campaign emails. Assange claims that's because he simply didn't have access to them. We don't know if that's true or not, because ironically wikileaks isn't transparent ironically enough, we have to trust Assange on this.

But, even if it is true and you have a weird belief everything should be transparent, it's not fair to selectively damage one side of the debate and not the other. You're not being impartial, you're indirectly supporting one side over the other. This is what I find so wrong. Coupled with the fact one man with no remit can arbitrarily do what he wants.

Assange is already being praised in republican circles. I expect the Trump administration will look at him very favourably after this and that he will soon venture out of his hole in the embassy.

I thought the FTSE and Tokyo are down? Mexico's currency is down 9% as well, isn't it?

FTSE is down 0.10%. Basically flat. The Asian markets closed down but they had the misfortune of being open as things unexpectedly swung in Trump's favour, so bore the brunt of irrational behaviour.

Honestly, any drop in the markets will be over in a month's time. They'll be back to normal. Traders are pussies.

There was no counterbalance of Trump campaign emails. Assange claims that's because he simply didn't have access to them. We don't know if that's true or not, because ironically wikileaks isn't transparent ironically enough, we have to trust Assange on this.

But, even if it is true and you have a weird belief everything should be transparent, it's not fair to selectively damage one side of the debate and not the other. You're not being impartial, you're indirectly supporting one side over the other. This is what I find so wrong. Coupled with the fact one man with no remit can arbitrarily do what he wants.

Assange is already being praised in republican circles. I expect the Trump administration will look at him very favourably after this and that he will soon venture out of his hole in the embassy.

I have as much of a problem with Wikileaks as most on here but in this case they have done what they have always done in releasing the emails. In fact it would not have been impartial of them to hold back on the emails for any reason. And Trump is not going to go any easier on him than Clinton would have been.