US election 2016

Happy Face

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/nov/09/donald-trump-white-house-hillary-clinton-liberals

Start at the top. Why, oh why, did it have to be Hillary Clinton? Yes, she has an impressive resume; yes, she worked hard on the campaign trail. But she was exactly the wrong candidate for this angry, populist moment. An insider when the country was screaming for an outsider. A technocrat who offered fine-tuning when the country wanted to take a sledgehammer to the machine.

She was the Democratic candidate because it was her turn and because a Clinton victory would have moved every Democrat in Washington up a notch. Whether or not she would win was always a secondary matter, something that was taken for granted. Had winning been the party’s number one concern, several more suitable candidates were ready to go. There was Joe Biden, with his powerful plainspoken style, and there was Bernie Sanders, an inspiring and largely scandal-free figure. Each of them would probably have beaten Trump, but neither of them would really have served the interests of the party insiders.

And so Democratic leaders made Hillary their candidate even though they knew about her closeness to the banks, her fondness for war, and her unique vulnerability on the trade issue – each of which Trump exploited to the fullest. They chose Hillary even though they knew about her private email server. They chose her even though some of those who studied the Clinton Foundation suspected it was a sketchy proposition.

To try to put over such a nominee while screaming that the Republican is a rightwing monster is to court disbelief. If Trump is a fascist, as liberals often said, Democrats should have put in their strongest player to stop him, not a party hack they’d chosen because it was her turn. Choosing her indicated either that Democrats didn’t mean what they said about Trump’s riskiness, that their opportunism took precedence over the country’s well-being, or maybe both.

Good post. The DNC more or less wrote this in the stars with their selection of Clinton.

before the bombs start falling?

By all accounts, Clinton is the one with that track record. Chin up man, this is infinitely better than the redo in 4 years time would have been.

Tbf we called the brexiters fuckwits too.

We did - and I still kinda think they are. Tbf Brexit changed my entire political outlook - it's clear where the problems are and this result just underlines it.

By all accounts, Clinton is the one with that track record. Chin up man, this is infinitely better than the redo in 4 years time would have been.

Would it though? Had Clinton won, wouldn't the Republicans put a less clownish candidat....

Actually, fuck it, I'm off to make some toast, watch a Superhero movie and play Football Manager.

Agreed - the thing that's going to be difficult here is persuading people on the left to realign themselves against the centre. The longer they continue to think that this is happening because everyone is racist and bigoted, the longer the right will have control. The ignorance from the educated middle is actually quite surprising (not having a dig at anyone on here, I mean in comment sections on the Guardian and so on - and tbf, mostly younger people).

We did - and I still kinda think they are. Tbf Brexit changed my entire political outlook - it's clear where the problems are and this result just underlines it.

The problem is that people are stupid. The poor vote for him despite his pledges to cut taxes for the richest. He got 29% of the latin vote despite labeling them rapists and drug pushers. He got 42% of female voters despite claiming he could sexually assault them with impunity.

The electorate is made up of idiots.

The problem is that people are stupid. The poor vote for him despite his pledges to cut taxes for the richest. He got 29% of the latin vote despite labeling them rapists and drug pushers. He got 42% of female voters despite claiming he could sexually assault them with impunity.

The electorate had a bigger enemy to slay this time out than Trump. The identity politics drivel just isn't holding water for a lot of people. The MSM isn't either. It's hard to say that these are bad things, people voting past their identities for what they rightly or wrongly consider to be a better future.

I'll expect you round later to have a nibble on my arse.

The electorate had a bigger enemy to slay this time out than Trump. The identity politics drivel just isn't holding water for a lot of people. The MSM isn't either. It's hard to say that these are bad things, people voting past their identities for what they rightly or wrongly consider to be a better future.

Nope. The electorate is thick.

11bqfr7.jpg

I'll expect you round later to have a nibble on my arse.

I will refer you to my earlier instruction.

Even broken clocks...

Anyway, Parky, FYI:

14wvjif.jpg

Edited by ewerk

Ok :lol:

Maybe it's all a bit too raw at the moment. I agree that the people voting for this are the less well educated fwiw - but they're intelligent enough to know when they're being shafted, it would seem.

Not sure what his actual policies will be but I have to say that we should remember that Reagan was a complete cunt and Bush senior wasn't much better. Younger Bush was probably a semi-decent bloke but he was surrounded by people who are probably more evil than Trump even dreams about. Just saying.

I also think it serves the democratic party completely right for backing and sticking with someone so unlikeable they couldn't even beat Donald Trump.

Yeah, I think that, despite there not being a single overriding reason for this, it's as much about Clinton's lack of popularity as anything else.

Democracy is overrated anyway.

Ok :lol:

Maybe it's all a bit too raw at the moment. I agree that the people voting for this are the less well educated fwiw - but they're intelligent enough to know when they're being shafted, it would seem.

Of course they aren't. They are voting against their own interest in favour of attacking a bigger, hypothetical enemy. The immigrants, the terrorists, the abortion lovers, the gun stealers. The right can go to this level and that is why they are winning. People will lap it up. People are morons.

To calm some fears. The political architecture in America is set up for compromise. Lot of the Trump rhetoric will be reigned in over the coming months. There will be one or two marquee elements in his desire for new legislation...But it's a long old road and he's gonna have to learn on the job.

Tbf I called HF stupid once only on account that:

1) He has continually championed wikileaks, in particular the selective release of ones that cast the Clinton campaign in a bad light.

2) He is surprised and somewhat dismayed at the result.

Now, we all know that the negative content of these leaks was minimal, nothing compared to the revelations of Trump or even his onstage antics. But that wasn't the point for Assange. They fed the narrative of crooked Hillary and that was almost certainly enough to swing it against her in some of the key marginals. So I think it's a pretty stupid position to hold personally.

It's done now, and a few on here have convinced themselves it's for the best. I sincerely don't think this or Brexit are for the best at all, I think they are huge retrograde steps which may negatively impact us all. That's conjecture at this stage but brexit has been shite so far. Globally, thus is much, much worse.

Call that a meltdown if you like, just wanted to clarify my position.

Yeah, I think that, despite there not being a single overriding reason for this, it's as much about Clinton's lack of popularity as anything else.

Democracy is overrated anyway.

Voter turnout was up 4.7%. Trump's ability to whip up hatred against Clinton is what won the election imo. Despite the fact that she hadn't done that much wrong.