Politics

Christmas Tree

As I said, he did alright today.

ewerk, why is soft Brexit impossible? If what we're all saying about how a rerun of the referendum would turn up a different result is true, surely soft-Brexit allows for the kind of compromise climb down from the brink that we could all get behind. Yes, it's effectively the same as remaining in the EU, but they could come up with all kinds of reasons about how this is actually still taking back control for the benefit of the pillocks.

The pillocks won't accept anything other than controlled immigration. That means no tariff free single market access. That means no soft brexit. The whole thing is fucked.

The pillocks won't accept anything other than controlled immigration. That means no tariff free single market access. That means no soft brexit. The whole thing is fucked.

I still think it'll be some kind of fudged deal. Access to be single market, which we will have to pay for, plus an emergency brake on immigration if annual numbers get too high.

But using that definition, the pillocks (how quaint) definitely form less than 50% of the electorate. So they can get fucked.

Ah yeah you're right. I still can't see it happening though. I'm not sure if the EU will be willing to allow us that concession as it weakens their hand in future negotiations with members plus I'm not sure it would go far enough to passify the rabid pillocks.

Ah yeah you're right. I still can't see it happening though. I'm not sure if the EU will be willing to allow us that concession as it weakens their hand in future negotiations with members plus I'm not sure it would go far enough to passify the rabid pillocks.

Rabid pillocks :lol:

Also, what kind of fucked up spelling of pacify is that? :D

Edited by Rayvin

Yes, that's not an encouraging sign. Did you see the Guardian's bit about University lecturers effectively being hit with the same stuff? Working on part time temping contracts and having to do extra work around the side?

It's a depressing sentiment. We seem to be oversubscribed with our workforce on multiple fronts.

"We’ve seen the rise of the everyday entrepreneur. People now own their time and control who receives their services and when.

“They can pick and mix their employers, their hours, their offices, their holiday patterns. This is one of the most significant developments in the labour market. The potential is huge and the change is exciting.”

:jesuswept:

That's certainly true for some people mind. My partner is self employed and runs it more or less exactly as he has set out. It works for her because she has enough work to be choosey, but obviously it would fall flat if that ran out.

I wonder how many people make a success of it vis-a-vis those who struggle.

Aye it might work for your 'partner' but it will lead to exploitation for the vast majority of people who aren't skilled enough to be properly self-employed.

Edited by ewerk

Aye, exactly what I was thinking. Post-Brexit companies will be able to do what the fuck they want, a Tory wet dream. Hugely depressing.

True, it's certainly looks that way.

Corbyn is making workers rights central to the Labour platform though. Obviously no one is reporting on it, but it is happening.

One of his 10 pledges.

We will give people stronger employment rights from day one in a job, end exploitative zero hours contracts and create new sectoral collective bargaining rights, including mandatory collective bargaining for companies with 250 or more employees. We will create new employment and trade union rights to bring security to the workplace and win better pay and conditions for everyone. We will strengthen working people’s representation at work and the ability of trade unions to organise so that working people have a real voice at work. And we will put the defence of social and employment rights, as well as action against undercutting of pay and conditions through the exploitation of migrant labour, at the centre of the Brexit negotiations agenda for a new relationship with Europe.

I didn't even know he'd made 10 pledges until I searched for his platform off the back of Rayvin's post.

He should have put them on a £50k granite slab.