Politics

Christmas Tree

@@Rayvin have you read Postcapitalism by Paul Mason. It's bang up your street - Chapter 1 is called "Neoliberalism is dead". That is your kind of masturbation material.

:lol:

I haven't but agreed, it sounds pretty fucking hot. I'll have a look for it.

Caught the end of the utterly dreadful Have I Got News for You? last night. It looks like Jacob Rees-Mogg is going to be the latest horrible Tory cunt who'll be indulged in his soi disant role as everyone's favourite entertaining, upper class eccentric.

I think you're both right. Hard to imagine though isn't it? He's never going to be your typical strong man demagogue brand of populist is he?

True enough but it's worth a shot. I'd far rather we had populism of the left and really, the same things people get angry enough about to join the populist right could be co-opted by the left with the exception of immigration. But they could replace that with the rich probably.

If he's to become a true populist, he needs to at least acknowledge that immigration is an issue for the great unwashed. A swift u turn from his metropolitan guardianista elite position would be required ASAP.

If he's to become a true populist, he needs to at least acknowledge that immigration is an issue for the great unwashed. A swift u turn from his metropolitan guardianista elite position would be required ASAP.

Well, he either needs to do that or convincingly shift the narrative elsewhere. He isn't going to turn around on immigration so the plan must be to hijack the narrative.

It's doable, it's just unlikely to work since UKIP have already made and entrenched over about a decade their case for anti-immigration populism.

The only thing he can do to improve labour's chances on an election is resign. That's not a flippant remark, it's a fact. He can't change his lifelong beliefs without appearing to be an unprincipled hypocrite, and the electorate don't support his beliefs. Also, labour under his leadership have been completely incoherent about Brexit and the post-Brexit world. This will be the main issue next election. Labour are fucked, in short. What's most depressing is they can't get their act together against a truly pathetic opposition.

Well, he either needs to do that or convincingly shift the narrative elsewhere. He isn't going to turn around on immigration so the plan must be to hijack the narrative.

It's doable, it's just unlikely to work since UKIP have already made and entrenched over about a decade their case for anti-immigration populism.

that's the issue though. how do you convince millions of people that the brown people they fear so much aren't coming over here to talk their jobs and benefits? corbyn can try to change that narrative, but he's unlikely to be persuasive trying to deliver it from his islington ivory tower