Politics

Christmas Tree

I meant more widely than that but you're not wrong really. For his valid criticism to be taken seriously he actually needs people to be listening.

Tbh he might be best giving up midway through the term to allow someone new to come in. That way he has taken the sting out of the Corbyn legacy and given his successor something to run at.

We haven’t seen the true economic fallout of the pandemic yet. Not that I have much faith in there being a huge turnaround. But we’re certainly in a false position because of the furlough scheme etc 

The economic fallout of the pandemic will be small compared to Brexit but of course it will be masked by covid.

Johnson is benefiting from the Trump effect. People aren’t taking him entirely seriously and have priced in his untrustworthiness i.e. the shagging, off colour comments, dodgy money etc.

• Like 1

The polls are where they are because of the vaccine rollout. We are smashing it compared to most places. It might even negate some of the earlier fuck ups in the final analysis, who knows? 

One thing they got right all pandemic. And all thanks to Matt Hancock watching Contagion and shitting himself.

• Like 1

Thing is even that's wrong - the vaccine rollout is pure NHS with very little to do with them as opposed to government facets of the response. 

I could understand it if people quoted the vaccine purchasing as a success which it is from a very selfish pov. 

31 minutes ago, NJS said:

Thing is even that's wrong - the vaccine rollout is pure NHS with very little to do with them as opposed to government facets of the response. 

I could understand it if people quoted the vaccine purchasing as a success which it is from a very selfish pov. 

That’s what I was getting at with the Contagion comment. Hancock was apparently all over procurement after he watched the film, which features an international race for vaccine supply that mirrors pretty much exactly how things have played out in real life. 

No question that the rollout itself has been a triumph thanks to the NHS. You can imagine how it would be going if Dido Harding or some other crony were given a contract to do it.

• Like 1

Screenshot_20210430-071004_Chrome.thumb.jpg.619d425c2147c6c098a4bea91486edbd.jpg

Fair play growing up with those lugs, genuinely believing there's a god that clagged them on your head, and still thinking he's someone you should be paying regular attention to. That's true faith. 

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

It's as if the public have more to worry about in a pandemic than Boris' wallpaper

I mean that's pretty much the exact spin the Tories are putting on it to detract from the fact that the man in charge of the country is bent as a nine Bob note.

And given Joe Public has lost the capacity for critical thinking, it's working. You being a case in point 

• Like 2

The Mails take on it all :lol: 

Perhaps we should remember that when Carrie moved into Downing Street in July 2019 she was already (possibly) pregnant with son Wilf, who was born the following April. The impulse to nest, to put her stamp on another woman’s recently vacated domain must have been powerful.

One must also factor in the dreariness and claustrophobia of living in this public building at the heart of British government. French leaders have the Élysée Palace, Americans have the White House, but we have a clutch of poky rooms above the shop with a vermin problem.

Yes, there is the consolation of Chequers at the weekend — although not during the pandemic — but I imagine that actually living in Downing Street is a kind of hell.

Those prison-like gates, the lack of sunlight and privacy, the crushing omnipresence of politics and political operatives 24/7? No Prime Minister has ever relished living there; his or her family even less.

Give Carrie a break. She has had to cope with pregnancy, the pandemic and her lover, Boris, becoming dangerously ill. What woman would not want to take refuge in swatches, in cheering the place up, in perhaps taking tea with Lulu Lytle to discuss her range of delicious chintzes at ÂŁ270 per metre and ponder over wicker or rattan for the dining room chairs?

• Haha 1

Meanwhile they have screwed over thousands of leaseholders who own flats who through no fault of their own are death traps they can't move from. But it's just about wallpaper. 

28 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I mean that's pretty much the exact spin the Tories are putting on it to detract from the fact that the man in charge of the country is bent as a nine Bob note.

And given Joe Public has lost the capacity for critical thinking, it's working. You being a case in point 

Personally I do care though, I'm just capable of observing that the wider public can't be arsed with it. Dick heed. Maybe it's your own capacity for critical thinking that's askew. I've criticised Labour for not appealing to the electorate. The polls say I'm right. People like you that sit on the left and stick their fingers in their ears is just more Corbynism

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

8 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Personally I do care though, I'm just capable of observing that the wider public can't be arsed with it. Dick heed. Maybe it's your own capacity for critical thinking that's askew. I've criticised Labour for not appealing to the electorate. The polls say I'm right. People like you that sit on the left and stick their fingers in their ears is just more Corbynism

Sleaze and corruption took down the tories last time. I think it will take down Johnson this time. He was squirming in PMQ, I think this is the tip of a pretty big iceberg. And what's the alternative? To just let it go, have a pointless toothless enquiry where it will be kicked into the long grass and forgotten about? Let him continue lying unabated? I hear all this criticism about what starmer is doing, but no suggestions what he should be doing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gemmill said:

Screenshot_20210430-071004_Chrome.thumb.jpg.619d425c2147c6c098a4bea91486edbd.jpg

Fair play growing up with those lugs, genuinely believing there's a god that clagged them on your head, and still thinking he's someone you should be paying regular attention to. That's true faith. 

And god created me in his own image :lol:

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Renton said:

Sleaze and corruption took down the tories last time. I think it will take down Johnson this time. He was squirming in PMQ, I think this is the tip of a pretty big iceberg. And what's the alternative? To just let it go, have a pointless toothless enquiry where it will be kicked into the long grass and forgotten about? Let him continue lying unabated? I hear all this criticism about what starmer is doing, but no suggestions what he should be doing. 

The bloke went to a DIY shop and posed with rolls of wallpaper. He should be working on his sense of humour.

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

Here’s the favourite for her job....good luck....

I love this btw. I mean I can't see any reason why anyone wouldn't ignore the science and just go with his guesstimate. 

1 minute ago, Gemmill said:

Speaking of religious nutjobbery, I see 44 people have died at a religious festival in Israel. This would be like CT dying at the Sunderland Airshow. 

“ Mam, there’s a fat Mackem over there on his back, should I flip him over!”

” Look at the nice helicopter son, LOOK AT THE HELICOPTER!”

CT, as the darkness descends and his breathing slows…

” B…

A…

U…”

• Haha 3