Politics

Christmas Tree

1 minute ago, ewerk said:

So another Tory period of austerity to look forward to. Except this time we're getting the bust without any of the boom.

Public services austerity: tick

Energy price increases: tick

Mortgage rates going up: tick

No tax reductions: tick

Gemmill's right, Hunt the Cunt will be the most hated man in Britain. 

Unmitigated disaster this. I just hope that it can somehow be made clear to the electorate that this is substantially all of the Tory Party's own making.

There have been significant external factors, but they've mismanaged the country, voluntarily shrunk not just the economy but the capacity for economic growth with their idiotic Brexit project, and then tanked the economy further and left us effectively governed by the bond market.

That was genuine banana republic shit on the telly there, a Chancellor having to make a statement reversing the government's own budget in full in order to assuage the financial markets. We're a fucking basket case. 

Truss needs to come out and resign now. None of this "Oh we need to land on a unity candidate and then work out the mechanism". Fuck that. Get her in a room and explain to her in the most explicit terms that she is done. I don't really care what happens after that, but the idea she can stay in the job now is fucking offensive. 

4 minutes ago, Renton said:

Public services austerity: tick

Energy price increases: tick

Mortgage rates going up: tick

No tax reductions: tick

Gemmill's right, Hunt the Cunt will be the most hated man in Britain. 

Think it was ewerk said that, but I was probably being right about something else. 

19 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

She was tipped in the tabloids for the top job almost as soon as the Pickfords  wagon had dropped off Carrie’s posh furniture at no. 10. I do believe these things are decided behind closed doors and people vote according to instructions….

Which leads me to this thread , which sums up for me how this happened, who’s responsible and where we are now…

I think there's elements of truth here but I don't accept the implication that the ERG or IEA had a detailed plan as such spanning decades. Chaos is a cruel mistress. Again though its interesting we have Hunt as the de facto PM now, that certianly wasn't in the script. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Truss needs to come out and resign now. None of this "Oh we need to land on a unity candidate and then work out the mechanism". Fuck that. Get her in a room and explain to her in the most explicit terms that she is done. I don't really care what happens after that, but the idea she can stay in the job now is fucking offensive. 

I think that's nailed on this week.

Fair play to Ed Conway. He's on Sky now with his big chart that shows borrowing costs for other nations alongside ours, with the moment of the mini budget clearly causing our line to turn fucking chaotic whilst everyone else's does nowt.

He says "the govt are now busy putting out statements claiming that this is a global crisis. Let's be very clear, this is a UK crisis."

Edited by Gemmill

Unmitigated disaster this. I just hope that it can somehow be made clear to the electorate that this is substantially all of the Tory Party's own making.

There have been significant external factors, but they've mismanaged the country, voluntarily shrunk not just the economy but the capacity for economic growth with their idiotic Brexit project, and then tanked the economy further and left us effectively governed by the bond market.

That was genuine banana republic shit on the telly there, a Chancellor having to make a statement reversing the government's own budget in full in order to assuage the financial markets. We're a fucking basket case. 

There is no way she can survive this week now imo. Watching the presser on Friday she looked broken. I'm a compassionate person and I hope she steps down for the sake of her own health. The sooner she does this the better for all of us. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Great thread

It is isn’t it? At the point of Brexit in 2019/20 a top EU bod said “what we must remember is Brexit is a 50 year argument on the Tory back benches” he was 100% right iyam, I’d always sort of been aware of that point but he summed it up brilliantly. If you’ve half a brain you don’t really need to know any more than that, and that the people who wouldn’t accept EEC membership in the 1970s are among the most highly motivated individuals in political history 👍

Edited by PaddockLad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think there's elements of truth here but I don't accept the implication that the ERG or IEA had a detailed plan as such spanning decades. 

There's definitely a long term plan both sides of the Atlantic funded by hidden right wing money to undermine institutions and move toward deregulation

Look at the way the right in America has taken over the courts

The IEA is continually on the BBC

I think the thread is bang on

Just now, Renton said:

There is no way she can survive this week now imo. Watching the presser on Friday she looked broken. I'm a compassionate person and I hope she steps down for the sake of her own health. The sooner she does this the better for all of us. 

Honestly I have moments where I can see that she probably isn't sleeping and feel slightly sorry for her. But get this cunt on the telly and she'll get her fucking thunderbird arm working and tell you that it's all none of her fault and it's Putin and all that shite. 

I hope she doesn't kill herself or owt, but there's people who can't pay their mortgage bill or put food on their tables, and she both doesn't have that concern personally but worse couldn't give that much of a fuck about those that do. 

She was at PMQs last week standing behind everything she'd done. So aye, don't kill yourself Liz, but other than that you need to wear this one, love. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It is isn’t it? At the point of Brexit in 2019/20 a top EU bod said “what we must remember is Brexit is a 50 year argument on the Tory back benches” he was 100% right iyam, I’d always sort of been aware of that point but he summed it up brilliantly. If you’ve half a brain you don’t really need to know any more than that, and that the people who wouldn’t accept EEC membership in the 1970s are among the most highly motivated individuals in political history 👍

If Brexit had been decided by parliament it would have been reversed by now, unfortunately the referendum gives is a veneer of legitimacy. Thankfully this mini-budget can be quickly reversed but even that has failed to repair the damage it has done.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Honestly I have moments where I can see that she probably isn't sleeping and feel slightly sorry for her. But get this cunt on the telly and she'll get her fucking thunderbird arm working and tell you that it's all none of her fault and it's Putin and all that shite. 

I hope she doesn't kill herself or owt, but there's people who can't pay their mortgage bill or put food on their tables, and she both doesn't have that concern personally but worse couldn't give that much of a fuck about those that do. 

She was at PMQs last week standing behind everything she'd done. So aye, don't kill yourself Liz, but other than that you need to wear this one, love. 

Yeah, true. Problem with empathy is you make the assumption the person you project it on is a normal functioning human being with a conscience. That's not the case for a large sway of the conservative parliamentary party. But don't call them scum or detest them, whatever you do. 

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

I think there's elements of truth here but I don't accept the implication that the ERG or IEA had a detailed plan as such spanning decades. Chaos is a cruel mistress. Again though its interesting we have Hunt as the de facto PM now, that certianly wasn't in the script. 

It wasn’t in the script because at the precise moment they properly got their people in power they immediately implemented/unleashed their wildest libertarian fantasies as as we’ve  seen in the last 4 weeks the whole thing has completely fallen to bits…once you’re threatening back benchers seats, peoples pensions & house prices I think you’re pretty much fucked, and fucked for a very long time. I didn’t realise the effect this would have on the markets when it was announced, I thought buying people off with tax cuts would probably work… 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

It wasn’t in the script because at the precise moment they properly got their people in power they immediately implemented/unleashed their wildest libertarian fantasies as as we’ve  seen in the last 4 weeks the whole thing has completely fallen to bits…once you’re threatening back benchers seats, peoples pensions & house prices I think you’re pretty much fucked, and fucked for a very long time. I didn’t realise the effect this would have on the markets when it was announced, I thought buying people off with tax cuts would probably work… 

Yeah, I agree 90% witrh what he says I just think things happened more organically rather than design. It's like they (the MSM) have personified "the markets". Well no, they aren't a sentient entity. TYhey are the rules of the system. 

For me it highlights the weakness of our consitution that a bunch intellectually lightweights could get their hands on the levers of power. And this is what needs to most urgently addressed, and also why I am pretty lack lustre about Starmer. 

• Like 1

Speaker has granted an urgent question to Starmer to try and force Truss to come out of the house. :lol:

She's meant to be sat next to Hunt for his statement so she's gonna look canny bad if she just fucks off and sends someone junior to take the hit. 

Speaker has granted an urgent question to Starmer to try and force Truss to come out of the house. :lol:

She's meant to be sat next to Hunt for his statement so she's gonna look canny bad if she just fucks off and sends someone junior to take the hit. 

i think she's gone either today or after PMQ on Wednesday. 

Edited by Renton