Politics

Christmas Tree

:lol:

I can't recall the Mirror's political allegiance, is that a dig at Hopkins or a beautiful lack of self awareness? I think I'd actually prefer the latter.

Around 160 MPs have backed a letter, championed by the Labour MP Stella Creasy, saying the government should legislate to relax the abortion rules in Northern Ireland, which will now be the only place in Britain and Ireland where abortion is in most circumstances illegal. Creasy wants to force a vote by tabling an amendment to the forthcoming domestic violence bill.

Labour also said that, as a party, it was committed to extending the right to choose to Northern Ireland and that it would be “looking at legislative options” to try to orchestrate a vote in the Commons. 

Downing Street’s initial response was to reject the idea of giving MPs a vote, on the grounds that abortion is a devolved matter and one that should be decided by the power-sharing executive and the Northern Ireland assembly. A source said that Theresa May’s focus was on getting the executive, which has been suspended for more than a year, “back up and running”.

fe.jpg?auto=compress,enhance,format&crop

This is where we find out if it's an ideological or pragmatic stance they've been taking. Think it's the former, unfortunately

Indeed. I've maintained it was pragmatism for a long time, I guess in part because I remained optimistic about the situation, but following the discussion we had on here the other week I have more or less relinquished that position. I wouldn't be surprised if it is ideology. And if it is, it's a depressing statement.

We should maybe have a thread on the media or something tbh, but I'm just going to drop in here that Elon Musk has declared war on the MSM :lol:

He's going to set up a website that allows people to rate the credibility of news articles and the journalists writing them.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/27/media/elon-musk-press-journalists-attacks-pravda/index.html

Hmm... the current Secretary of State for Defence appears the have all the integrity, bearing and gravitas of a temporary assistant area manager for a particularly poorly performing paint spraying wholesalers in Hull.  :cuppa:

• Haha 2

He says "vuh" instead of "the" ffs. The fucking defence Secretary talks about "vuh United Kingdom". 

Theresa May is such a fucking gigantic cunt for giving this brownosing bellend a job at any level of government. Btw I bet she could perform abortions by breathing into a fanny.