Politics

Christmas Tree

He’s just another establishment type pretending to offer something to the man in the street. He wants someone with an unconventional backstory to work for him purely because it’ll look good. 

Edit: unconventional in terms of Whitehall that is 

Edited by Alex

17 minutes ago, NJS said:

Much like the public schooled, ex-commodities trader and man of the people Farage. 

Yep, exactly the same 

After all she’s done to destabilise the party I dearly hope she gets a taste of her own medicine tbh. 

Did you see her face when the exit polls came out? When she didn’t think she was on camera?

”oh I’m sorry....am I live now?”

Good thread about the fractured left, this. It’s a massive challenge for whoever takes over. Are any of the names in the running brave enough to say in a loud voice "I'M PROUD TO BE BRITISH!”? identity rather than policy is what seems to be the order of things these days

Edited by Dr Gloom

I like Jess Phillips btw. I've no idea what she'd be like as leader but she strikes me as being more principled and more relatable than pretty much anyone else in Parliament. That has to count for something. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom said:

After all she’s done to destabilise the party I dearly hope she gets a taste of her own medicine tbh. 

Did you see her face when the exit polls came out? When she didn’t think she was on camera?

To be fair, she's been proven to be completely right. Labour has been on a road to nowhere since 2015. There should have been more with the balls to say it. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Tom said:

She’s beats any of the Corbyn disciples hands down on charisma, intelligence and personality. Plus she comes across like a normal human being. V desirable in a potential leader. 

Edited by Dr Gloom

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

She’s beats any of take Corbyn disciples hands down on charisma, intelligence and personality. Plus she comes across like a normal human being. V desirable in a potential leader. 

I don’t think you could be more wrong. She’s an utter charlatan & most active members can see this. 

If she was so “genuine” and “principled” why was she laughing her head off at the exit polls? Why does she rub shoulders with Rees-Mogg?

Also...she comes across thick as fuck :lol: 

Well we are going to have to disagree. 

She’s a lot smarter than RLB or Burgon or any of the rest of the thicko debating club Corbyn and McD would prefer.

She isn’t tainted by association by having served in the shadow cabinet. She’s funny and is known for being more than a non entity. She will also bring the party to the centre and hopefully make it more electable by speaking to people so repelled by the Corbyn project. 

I’m not a fan of Burgon & although Long-Bailey is canny she’s nowhere near leadership material. 

Phillips is utterly despised among the membership & she deserves it after years of undermining the leadership. She’s tainted by that for a start. (This is before polling day reaction & JRM association)

Also there really isn’t a thirst for centrism, this was proved comprehensively on polling day. 

I’m not a fan of “continuity Corbynism” either, the headlines write themselves. The Sun front page, Corbyn with a marionette, new leader strung up etc etc.

As the reality of Tory promises catch up with them the field will get wider but for me I’d take Starmer with a slightly more moderate manifesto. 

Failing that go fucking akka with Lavery.

Working class accent - check

Appealing to centrists  - check

Can she win back the social conservative/ bigots labour needs in traditional heartlands? Unknown.

But she has as good a chance of doing that as any of the others rumoured to be in the running. 

The membership you speak of is changing. Tens of thousands like me have joined up since the election, driven by a desire to get the Tories out. This only happens if we get the cult out. Even ardent Corbyn supporters are starting to accept that governing is what they want,  if the polls are to be believed with Starmer so far ahead. 

I think a Starmer/Phillips ticket could be the best option if Cooper doesn’t run.

Edited by Dr Gloom

6 hours ago, Tom said:

I’m not a fan of Burgon & although Long-Bailey is canny she’s nowhere near leadership material. 

Phillips is utterly despised among the membership & she deserves it after years of undermining the leadership. She’s tainted by that for a start. (This is before polling day reaction & JRM association)

Also there really isn’t a thirst for centrism, this was proved comprehensively on polling day. 

I’m not a fan of “continuity Corbynism” either, the headlines write themselves. The Sun front page, Corbyn with a marionette, new leader strung up etc etc.

As the reality of Tory promises catch up with them the field will get wider but for me I’d take Starmer with a slightly more moderate manifesto. 

Failing that go fucking akka with Lavery.

I don’t see how you can draw that conclusion re: centrism based on polling day. There wasn’t a credible centrist option. I don’t really think it’s the answer but I’m not sure what is. Agree with you on Starmer. Although the gap is so great in terms of seats you’re probably looking at s hung Parliament at best next time. I’d take that if it means much needed electoral reform. 

It is slightly weird to see Philips banging on about food banks and poverty when we know that is dead as an election issue. Though perhaps that might finally change in 5 years time.

Also weird that none of them have blamed immigrants for anything either, given we know that tends to move a lot of the traditional Labour support.

On that Phillips exit poll reaction. It was clearly a laugh of bemusement rather than amusement. If you honestly think she was delighted at a massive Tory victory then you’ve been spending too much time with the Corbyn cult.

She isn’t the best candidate though. She’s everything her supporters in this thread have said but that doesn’t necessarily make a good leader. People might like what they see with her: relatable, common, takes no shit etc. but when it comes to who the public is want as PM then I think they want even a veneer of finesse. More of a Blair than a Prescott.

Deputy leader would be perfect for her and would give her time to work on her image and gain experience of shadow cabinet.

• Like 1

Starmer/Phillips could be the dream ticket, the only downside being it might be a bit too remainy to appeal to the traditional labour red wall seats, unless they find something else we can blame immigrants for.