That pointless New Years resolution thing...

Park Life

Going try not being on here as much and going to try to see a pic of gloomy's cousin who looks twenty something but who's thirty nine and looks great. :good:

2nd December and the first part isn't going too well, still waiting on Gloomy for 2nd part of post. :whistling:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Porridge with honey, fruit and flax seed for breakfast

Loads of fruit and veg throughout the day.

Bulky salads for lunch with nuts, seeds, beans and pulses.

Last night's tea was Nigel Slater's pumpkin laksa soup with noodles. I used sweet potatoes instead of pumpkins and added fried tofu for protein.

Tonight was two curries - one with baby Aubergine, the other with chickpeas and mixed veg.

Porridge with honey, fruit and flax seed for breakfast

Loads of fruit and veg throughout the day.

Bulky salads for lunch with nuts, seeds, beans and pulses.

Last night's tea was Nigel Slater's pumpkin laksa soup with noodles. I used sweet potatoes instead of pumpkins and added fried tofu for protein.

Tonight was two curries - one with baby Aubergine, the other with chickpeas and mixed veg.

It all sounds really tasty mate. I do a week of veggie every month and tofu is a mainstay.

Flash fried to golden outside (touch of sesame and veg oil) with ginger and soya sauce and then topped with a little honey and crushed fresh chilli. Nice on a bed of basamati or fat noodles.

Sounds horrendous to me.

Gloom, if you're going to do this vegan thing properly, remember to avoid all leather and woolen products too. As well as shit loads of other stuff. It's doable, but incredibly dogmatic imo.

Mind, I've got at least 10 vague resolutions on the go at the moment. Becoming vegan would be easier (if not as depressing).

No noticeable differences to stools to report as of yet. I've been dropping some truly horrendous air biscuits though.

@Parky - tofu is a weird one. Absolutely foul texture and no taste if prepared incorrectly. I dust mine with a little corn flour and fry in chilli and garlic oil. Then it sings and is a great alternative to meat or fish in noodle soups and stir fries.

@renton, I'm not about to trade my leather shoes for plastic just yet. There are holes to pick in my motivation for giving it a bash. That I can't deny. One of my main goals is just to see how difficult it is (diet wise), whether I can do it and whether a diet with no animal products makes me feel better. I'm not pretending I'm on the verge of going all out vegan lifestyle.

My big concern going into it was lack of energy but there actually loads of good carbs in this diet. It's protein that's the bigger issue. I used to regularly eat 3-4 eggs a day. That's not easy to replace.

Hypnotised?

Perhaps you don't cook it properly. Nothing wrong with the texture if it isn't undercooked, and taste wise, well it's almost neutral. But, yes, it is a health food, and that is what you are getting at here, aren't you?

Its got no proven benefits over other much tastier more popular alternatives that I'm aware of. Taste and texture just a matter of opinion of course, but yes, it has got certain trendy connotations over here.

i quite like quinoa. fills me up more than couscous and doesn't bloat me as much as rice or pasta. and the much higher protein content compared to other grains is appealing on a vegan diet.

Quinoa needs veg stock cube and a couple of raw onions in it when boiling to make tasty.

i do it - like most things - with garlic, chilli and good olive oil.

quite like it in salads too.

No noticeable differences to stools to report as of yet. I've been dropping some truly horrendous air biscuits though.

@Parky - tofu is a weird one. Absolutely foul texture and no taste if prepared incorrectly. I dust mine with a little corn flour and fry in chilli and garlic oil. Then it sings and is a great alternative to meat or fish in noodle soups and stir fries.

It's very high in that thing that makes your tits bigger. Be careful out there. :)

i do it - like most things - with garlic, chilli and good olive oil.

quite like it in salads too.

Try it in soups as well. One week have a Mexican variation - veges of your choice, beans essential, with smoked paprika, cayenne, Mex chilli mix, bay leaf, tin of tomatoes. The next week have a Moroccan version - veges of your choice, chick peas would be advisable, tumeric (fresh is best, but the powdered stuff is all right too), grounded coriander seeds, grounded cumin, masala, bay leaf, tin of tomatoes (optional but preferred). Obviously you need veg stock to make thses soups so make your own, and don't add salt to it. Only add it while cooking soup to taste, you may think you won't need it in the end.

The key to this venture is to not get bored. Vary it up and good luck friend.