Scots Money

Rob W

Hardly patronising, voting for something without fully (or even partially, really) knowing what it entails and what the repercussions would be is plain daft. Currency, credit rating, defence, border control, cost of living etc. That there's so many people willing to take a giant leap of faith is both staggering and a bit thick, in my opinion.

Commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about is incredibly patronising. in 1979 people voted no because they were unsure about a future Scotland seperated from the rest of the UK. However what they also didn't know was that Thatcher would come along. Use up every drop of Scottish oil to fund her policies and then shit on the Scots from a great height. There are major unkowns on both sides. See UKIP/EU referendum for a future unkown or funding for the NHS. If the future is unkown on both sides, as it is, then is it not better to vote for an unkown you actually control as opposed to an unkown where you have little or no say.

Questions for JJ and topcat:

1 in the event of a yes vote, if various corporates carry out their threat and up sticks and move south, say with the loss of 5000 Scottish jobs, will it all be worth it?

2 if its yes, do you vote SNP at the first Scottish general election, and have Alex Salmon as Idi Amin's successor?

1. I think that Standard Life who have been the favoured scaremongerers of the No campaign, aren't as likely to up and leave as many think. They're currently spending £75 million extending their offices in Edinburgh, which seems a weird thing to do. The plans were completed in February 2014 and construction will finish in 2016, so it's not as if they didn't know what could happen. I'm not saying they won't leave. I'm just saying most businesses wouldn't leave a headquarters they're currently in the process of renovating.

There will still be a financial sector in Edinburgh, so 5,000 jobs is a bit of an extreme number. Maybe the headquarters will relocate, but it's not as if the business will close.

I know it's unfair to compare the two situations, but we were told in 1979 only being part of the United Kingdom could save the 35,000 jobs in shipbuilding. 24,000 of them lost their job during Thatcher's term. That number is now down to 8,000 and dropping.

If they do carry through with their threats it will be much, much less than 5,000 people who lose their job, but we're told that it's a decision for the future by both sides. I would say if you truly believe a Yes vote is best for our kids and our grandkids, sacrificing our future isn't worth it to save some financial sector jobs in the short term. I know that sounds callous, but again it's Standard Life who is holding the Scottish electorate to ransom. They made a similar threat around devolution in 1997, and didn't follow through. I personally think they're bluffing.

2. I've never voted SNP. Used to vote Labour. Now vote Green. If Labour can hold it together for another 20 months (which in fairness they're struggling to do up here), I actually think they'd win the first election in an independent Scotland. Overall the SNP have done a good job in the Scottish government, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they lost the first election to Labour. I'll be voting for neither mind.

Commenting on something you know absolutely nothing about is incredibly patronising. in 1979 people voted no because they were unsure about a future Scotland seperated from the rest of the UK. However what they also didn't know was that Thatcher would come along. Use up every drop of Scottish oil to fund her policies and then shit on the Scots from a great height. There are major unkowns on both sides. See UKIP/EU referendum for a future unkown or funding for the NHS. If the future is unkown on both sides, as it is, then is it not better to vote for an unkown you actually control as opposed to an unkown where you have little or no say.

I would have replied to ClubSpinDoctor, but I couldn't have said it much better than this.

camosbDM1502_468x372.jpg

Oh I don't know......

:lol:

If Scotland votes yes, Cameron will likely be hounded out by his own party by the end of the month. There's a small incentive for the rest of the UK to support our cause. ;)

Aye all right, your country of 5 million people can protect itself and it's oil, look after it's 20% disabled population and run it's own health service and not run into financial meltdown. My only concern is the effect weakening the labour party will have on the North East of England. If Scotland goes independent it'd be third world in a decade, but that's not the bit that I'm bothered about.

But that means Boris. :(

I actually think it would be William Hague in the interim, which admittedly wouldn't be great, but certainly better than Boris.

Edited by JJ

Aye all right, your country of 5 million people can protect itself and it's oil, look after it's 20% disabled population and run it's own health service and not run into financial meltdown. My only concern is the effect weakening the labour party will have on the North East of England. If Scotland goes independent it'd be third world in a decade, but that's not the bit that I'm bothered about.

What's wrong with disabled people you shit eating cockended cunt. I am a war disablement pensioner and classed as disabled in case you were wondering about the cause of my vitriol you maggot penised prick.

Krugman's op-ed in the IH&T today calling the Scots out on the economic foolishness of a yes vote. Basically saying if they keep the pound their economy will be about as resilient as the Spanish in a crisis.

It'll be mint when Salmond comes grovelling to Cameron, who opens the door of Number 10 in an Argentina top. "Not today, Alex."

To be fair, if nowt else they've got people in companies across the country fleeing around trying to work out wtf the impact is going to be on them. Apparently all of the same came to pass in Quebec in 95 and caused all the same bother as people are shitting it about now.

Questions for JJ and topcat:

1 in the event of a yes vote, if various corporates carry out their threat and up sticks and move south, say with the loss of 5000 Scottish jobs, will it all be worth it?

2 if its yes, do you vote SNP at the first Scottish general election, and have Alex Salmon as Idi Amin's successor?

1. if the vote is yes and some short sighted CEOs decide to up sticks and go south to appease their shareholders then I would fully expect they will be offering top-end sector leading relocation packages to their highly skilled workers to retain their services - it would simply not be possible to shut down in one city and open up at same capacity next day in another city with a fresh workforce up to speed on company policy and procedures - Standard Life and others news isn't new - they came out as firm No's a long time ago so are just getting their twobobs worth in the mix at a crucial time (not surprising to know that the standard life chairman used to have function at the MoD so throroghly establishment and not very objective) - as already stated they are spending a shitload on upgrading their HQ at the moment so undoubtedly just at the sabre rattling - any lost job would be a personal short term tragedy to any worker but realistically the same fate faces workers in the event of a No vote ... we stay part of the union but end up with huge cuts to the yearly handout from westminster resulting in the axe falling on thousands of workers in the public sector as councils pass on the budget cut to departments

2. the SNP have run the country well for two terms but realistically the whole political landscape in the event of a Yes should change - the SNP's sole raison d'etre (independence) would be realised and you have to wonder if they would be finished outright ... labours vote has been on the slide in past 6 years and the efforts of miliband and lamont have been pitiful (traditional labour voters deserting in droves since Blair/Iraq and now sharing an idealogical platform with the Tories on this) ... Tories are gubbed for next 30 years until the spectre of Thatcher is forgotten ... Libdems on slide too .... all in all leaving quite possible a yawning political chasm. Personally I reckon Salmond would stick it out for the negotiations over next year and a half but then step aside having realised his dream. I was working at the exams body over the weekend and some quite clever people round the table were still under the impression that this is all about salmond - it's not!

They'd elect a man going to step down at the next election? I think not.

If Cameron gets hounded out, it's essentially a transitional government. Tories love sentiment. They'd see it as a nice send off.

Theres dozens of things that appeal about Scottish independance. However, I cant help thinking that the corporate "masters of the universe" are lying in wait to give a new nation an almighty slap. Theres spin and half truths,bluster and bullshit on both sides. But to a large extent its not the politicians that the electorate need to worry (too much) about.

What's wrong with disabled people you shit eating cockended cunt. I am a war disablement pensioner and classed as disabled in case you were wondering about the cause of my vitriol you maggot penised prick.

There's different things wrong with them, it's a vague term. My point of course being that 20% of the entire population being disabled would potentially be a huge drain on a Scottish national health service. You being disabled doesn't change my view on that either, not sure why you felt the need to point that out or take offense.

There's different things wrong with them, it's a vague term. My point of course being that 20% of the entire population being disabled would potentially be a huge drain on a Scottish national health service. You being disabled doesn't change my view on that either, not sure why you felt the need to point that out or take offense.

Because we're not all a drain you cock. I manage a team of test engineers and have a very good salary. We are in the main productive members of society who work and pay tax. You discriminatory lickspittle.