The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

I hope your right but their track record doesn't fill me with much optimism to be honest. The model to live by for me is what Chelsea did last season, do your business early and get the team settled and ready to go a month before the season starts. This lot will huff and puff all summer with little to no solid signings.

I totally agree with you on their record and how it should be done but I just think that for all they don't want to admit it the protests have had an effect (more than I thought they would if I'm honest) and they do actually realise people will vote with their feet if they don't follow up their promises at least in part.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd go along with that...The only thing stopping me is that promises must have been made to McClaren.

The idea that we're suddenly going to go wild in the aisles and spend a load of cash is just not credible. It'll be a marginal improvement on previous seasons but we'll still start the season with an underwhelming squad with obvious gaps, having missed out on a lot of players by penny-pinching/feigning interest imo.

Spending £30m is hardly going wild in the aisles given the current state of our squad. It's surely obvious even to Danger Mouse's best mate that what we have woefully short and we don't have a great deal in saleable assets after last season to bring the net spend down.

Relatively speaking, based on recent history, it is going wild in the aisles though. It's more realistic to think they'll do a bit better than they have in earlier years and call it progress, rather than a complete departure from that which would set unrealistic future expectations.

Relatively speaking, based on recent history, it is going wild in the aisles though. It's more realistic to think they'll do a bit better than they have in earlier years and call it progress, rather than a complete departure from that which would set unrealistic future expectations.

That's the biggest concern. We're too far behind the other clubs targeting the top half. We need to catch up to where they are, and then match their next step. That doesn't necessarily mean spending hundreds, just recruiting well. We need to buy both our foundations and our framework this summer, look to add bits and pieces in January.

I don't think there'll be a massive departure but with the state of the squad they have to spend.

What was our net spend last summer? We spent about £30m on SDJ, Cabella, Riviere, Perez and the two from Forrest and didn't sell anyone did we?

I don't think there'll be a massive departure but with the state of the squad they have to spend.

What was our net spend last summer? We spent about £30m on SDJ, Cabella, Riviere, Perez and the two from Forrest and didn't sell anyone did we?

Debuchy.

Honestly, I've no idea. I barely pay attention. Whatever gets spent this summer in sterling terms won't be enough to make the changes that are required. That's what I'm getting at. It'll be an incremental improvement and yet another opportunity missed as lesser teams pull further away from us. Why would it be anything but? We've been here time and again.

Does that make 30m? :lol:

Cabella 7 Skinny

Riviere 5 Crap

Perez 1.1 Punt

SDJ 7.5 Permacrock one lung.

In Pounds.

Edited by Park Life

Does that make 30m? :lol:

Cabella 7 Skinny

Riviere 5 Crap

Perez 1.1 Punt

SDJ 7.5 Permacrock one lung.

In Pounds.

I was working on Cabella £10m, SDJ £6M, Riviere £6m, Perez £1.5 and £7m for Darlow and Lascelles. But I obviously didn't account for the £7m or so back in on righbacks.

Doesn't matter how well they did, it's the expenditure we're talking about here.

You're all over analysing. Decent coaching and a decent manager in charge last season would have secured far more points.

It's therefor quite sensible that a handful of decent additions will suffice to have us challenging for a top 8 finish.

We'll all be smiling by Friday. (Even the corners of glooms lips will move upwards a fraction).

You're all over analysing. Decent coaching and a decent manager in charge last season would have secured far more points.

It's therefor quite sensible that a handful of decent additions will suffice to have us challenging for a top 8 finish.

We'll all be smiling by Friday. (Even the corners of glooms lips will move upwards a fraction).

You're a proven moron with an unequalled record of stupidity which you've added to with this latest embarrassing drivel.

I was working on Cabella £10m, SDJ £6M, Riviere £6m, Perez £1.5 and £7m for Darlow and Lascelles. But I obviously didn't account for the £7m or so back in on righbacks.

Doesn't matter how well they did, it's the expenditure we're talking about here.

Cabella was 10m e at a time it was 1.3 exchange rate and Rivere was about 6m e so I've even exagerrated that with 5m pounds - closer to 4m. Darlow and Lascalles were over a year ago. The Janmaat fee was shrouded in secrecy although I estimate it was around 3.5m pounds (which is a bargain under any circumstances as he's miles better than Debuchy).

Edited by Park Life

Cabaye went in the January as well though, with (I think) no one coming in. He can't be excluded cos it was a different window.

Of course he can. We were talking what was spent in the summer.

But if that's what you're basing it on then we have £30m + to spend based on the cash we have (could well be quite a bit more than that now depending on the timings of the cashflow).

Fwiw I think your overall point of us not spending enough to make the changes required, and us missing a trick is right. But I still think our net spend will be more than your suggesting in doing that.

Cabella was 10m e at a time it was 1.3 exchange rate and Rivere was about 6m e so I've even exagerrated that with 5m pounds - closer to 4m. Darlow and Lascalles were over a year ago.

Darlow and Lascelles were last summer not over a year ago.

And I was just going on the widely reported figures for Cabella and Riviere. I have doubts Cabella was as much as has been said (anything up to £12m) but around £10m seems to have been the settled upon reported figure.

Cabaye went in the January as well though, with (I think) no one coming in. He can't be excluded cos it was a different window.

Yeah 20m euros cause we didn't understand the difference in currencies and thought we had got 20m pounds. Numpty timeshare.

Of course he can. We were talking what was spent in the summer.

But if that's what you're basing it on then we have £30m + to spend based on the cash we have (could well be quite a bit more than that now depending on the timings of the cashflow).

Fwiw I think your overall point of us not spending enough to make the changes required, and us missing a trick is right. But I still think our net spend will be more than your suggesting in doing that.

The 30 odd million in the bank was the situation prior to last summer's transfer window.

Honestly, I've no idea. I barely pay attention. Whatever gets spent this summer in sterling terms won't be enough to make the changes that are required. That's what I'm getting at. It'll be an incremental improvement and yet another opportunity missed as lesser teams pull further away from us. Why would it be anything but? We've been here time and again.

Agree with this, whatever happens we'll be thin in key areas. Unless Riviere can be turned into a football player we only have Perez and Cisse up top, our centre backs are fucking shite we don't have much quality passing at CM and our wing play is pretty poor as well. We should have one in already at least by now looking at how far behind top half teams our squad is, instead we have McClaren having to fight an Ernest Penfold look a like to recruit the staff he wants (honestly how much can the compo be for an assistant manager ffs?) and since he is only capable of focusing on one thing at a time I'm sure that has diverted his attention away from buying players.

BTW I just had a search for Penfold and found this as a description, I honestly think it sums Charnley up perfectly:

Penfold is a timid, bespectacled hamster, and Danger Mouse's reluctant assistant. (Penfold is often mistaken for a mole; however, Brian Cosgrove has stated Penfold is supposed to be a hamster). Penfold stands just over half the height of Danger Mouse, and always wears thick round glasses and a crumpled blue suit with a white shirt and a yellow and black striped tie. He is the sidekick of Danger Mouse, whom he calls "Chief". He is a coward (codenamed "The Jigsaw," as he goes to pieces when a problem occurs), becoming terrified at any sign of danger.

:lol: Jigsaw is the perfect nickname for Charnley tbh.

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic