The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread

Anorthernsoul

http://m.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/13330115.Dutch_league_winner_and_Rams_coach_in_McClaren_s_sights_for_Magpies/

STEVE McCLAREN has put £15m-rated Dutchman Georgino Wijnaldum on his summer transfer wish-list after taking over at Newcastle United.

Wijnaldum skippered PSV Eindhoven to the Eredivisie title last season and will not be short of options with an extensive list of top European clubs all interested in him.
But McClaren has identified the 24-year-old, who was part of Holland's World Cup squad last summer, as someone he would like pursued this summer, although there is an acceptance that the Magpies will have to move quickly to get a deal done.
Manchester United and Liverpool are known to be two of the English clubs known to be keen, while there is also further options for PSV to explore on the continent should they wish to sell.
PSV would prefer not to cash in, but if the right deal arrives then it will be difficult for them to keep hold of a player who outlined recently that he would be open to leaving with the Premier League an attractive destination for him.
Speaking last month Wijnaldum said: “I am happy at PSV but I am a player with a lot of ambition. I want to play in a stronger league than the Eredivisie. With my quality I feel I can bring a lot to a team that I will join. I want to show it in the big leagues; England, Italy, Spain, Germany and France.
“It depends on how I feel. When I feel I want to go, I will do it. It is difficult to say when I want to go, if a great club come in for me then I will think about it. Being the captain does not affect my decision. There is no guarantee that I will stay because I am captain.”
McClaren’s contacts in Holland are extensive and coincide with chief scout Graham Carr also knowing that particularly division really well. The pair’s relationship led to McClaren actually recommending Cheik Tiote to Carr during his time in charge of Twente.
He had two spells in charge of Twente and even during his time at Middlesbrough there was a strong Dutch connection to the squad he assembled at the Riverside, with the likes of Bolo Zenden, Jimmy Floyd Hasslebaink and George Boateng forming part of his playing pool.
While McClaren is closing in on Queens Park Rangers’ England new-boy Charlie Austin, who could earn his first cap against Slovenia tomorrow, he is also looking at strengthening other areas of the squad and Wijnaldum would be the preferred choice to play that role if a deal could be done.
Newcastle’s new head coach has also instructed managing director Lee Charnley to work on reaching an agreement for Wolfsburg front-man Bas Dost and an early breakthrough on the transfer front is wanted in the hope of sending out a positive message to supporters.
McClaren has left the recruitment of Paul Simpson to his backroom team to Charnley. Simpson is still on the pay-roll at Derby County but is the man from the iPro Stadium he would like to have with him, which presents something of a compensation problem.
Newcastle are unwilling to pay for Simpson to make the switch, so it will be left in the hands of the Rams and Simpson to reach an agreement if the former Carlisle boss wants to be reunited with McClaren on Tyneside.
Simpson would not become the number two. McClaren is still considering his options for the assistant’s position and he is looking for a young and enthusiastic coach with the right character and CV to gain the respect of the dressing room instantly.
Newcastle defender Paul Dummett, meanwhile, was forced to pull out of Wales’ Euro 2016 qualifier with Belgium last night because of hamstring trouble. It is the same injury which prevented him from playing towards the back end of the Premier League campaign.

tumblr_lam9yxpQSJ1qdpcjo.jpg

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McClaren has left the recruitment of Paul Simpson to his backroom team to Charnley. Simpson is still on the pay-roll at Derby County but is the man from the iPro Stadium he would like to have with him, which presents something of a compensation problem.

Newcastle are unwilling to pay for Simpson to make the switch

:lol: Not such a shock.

Are we STILL being linked with Florian Thauvin? That ship sailed a long time ago. Hasn't he transferred twice since we were first cited as being interested like four years ago?

We're still being linked with Andy fucking Carroll.

Papers know fuck all more often than not.

:lol: He fits the billing for exactly what you're describing from the continent.

Don't let that lead you to the conclusion that there aren't a thousand other examples of incredibly fast one-dimensional players who we could waste money on signing if you were in charge.

Strikers fail all the time everywhere regardless of cost. If you look back at the thread the 3 players I quite like (fit our criteria) have also failed at some point. If you want the finished article (we can't afford it) then it's going to be 30m plus - ie practically our whole budget. ;)

The reason I go on about pace is that McGinge is planning to buy a statue (Dost). It's not the way forward....If it IS true about Berahino then I'm all ears. The whole thing with strikers is getting them at the right moment in their career which negates a cost premium and for them to have some basic tools ie pace and first touch and a bit of finishing. Europe is awash with such players but we have no scouts. :lol:

Ben Yedder and Immobile are such players. They are light years ahead of Riviere who we probably paid about 10p for.

Edited by Park Life

Are we STILL being linked with Florian Thauvin? That ship sailed a long time ago. Hasn't he transferred twice since we were first cited as being interested like four years ago?

Roeder is still scouting Kuyt mate.

Strikers fail all the time everywhere regardless of cost. If you look back at the thread the 3 players I quite like (fit our criteria) have also failed at some point. If you want the finished article (we can't afford it) then it's going to be 30m plus - ie practically our whole budget.

I said nothing about us buying a top notch striker. I said nothing about us spending 30mill on one player. I said we could do a lot worse than Demba Ba. Mainly because he's a quality player with proven ability who is available for fucking free.

The reason I go on about pace is that McGinge is planning to buy a statue (Dost). It's not the way forward....If it IS true about Berahino then I'm all ears. The whole thing with strikers is getting them at the right moment in their career which negates a cost premium and for them to have some basic tools ie pace and first touch and a bit of finishing.

So you just finished saying we can't afford to pay a premium. Then you mention us signing one of the most sort after young English strikers going. :lol: He'll cost around £20m. That's.... practically our whole budget. ;)

Ben Yedder and Immobile are such players. They are light years ahead of Riviere who we probably paid about 10p for.

Riviere cost ~£6 which isn't exactly a pittance for us giving our recent history in the transfer market.

Yedder a target of the top 6 PL clubs plus bigger continent teams. So probably ~£10m minimum for a player that is yet to prove anything beyond enormous potential. Big risk for big money. I'm not saying he wouldn't be worth it. But it would be a risk. A bigger risk than other potential signings. And that has to be factored in. I think £15m on Austin would be a far better buy than £10m on Yedder.

Immobile coming of a ratshit season (his first outside of his home country) in Germany (a similar league to the PL) who would cost ~£15m. That's a lot of money for a guy that had a season for Dortmund comparable to Riviere's season for us. Granted he is a much better player than Riviere but even so we only paid £6m for our flop. Dortmund paid £15m for Immobile. Can we afford £15m for a striker that might do fuck all? I don't think so.

We have no scouts.

I agree. But at the same time you can't expect us to unearth £5m Cabayelike signings every transfer window.

I don't want to argue Parky. I think on the whole we agree on most of what each of us are saying. I'm as frustrated by our transfer policy as anyone else and to be honest I think this argument is moot as we're not going to sign any of the players either you or me are talking about regardless.

Have we signed Brett Emerton yet?

Nutting out Viduka's contract at the moment. We're going to be paying him for each step he runs on match days. Excluding warmups.

QPR want £15 million for Austin we're "considering offering £9 million" it's never going to happen is it ?

Meh, papers know fuck all. Might, might not, they know as much as we do on the whole.

Nutting out Viduka's contract at the moment. We're going to be paying him for each step he runs on match days. Excluding warmups.

:lol:

Also :lol: at Bas Dost, gets linked to us then declares his commitment to stay at Wolfsburg. I remember our lot being tight cunts and refusing to pay Palace 3m for Nathaniel Clyne, I fully expect plenty more tight fistedness this window and we'll land a bunch of players that no one else has interest in and hope they can do something.

Edited by Howay

Also :lol: at Bas Dost, gets linked to us then declares his commitment to stay at Wolfsburg. I remember our lot being tight cunts and refusing to pay Palace 3m for Nathaniel Clyne, I fully expect plenty more tight fistedness this window and we'll land a bunch of players that no one else has interest in and hope they can do something.

Yep. You've gotta say that so far this offseason is shaping up as more of the same.

Davey: Granted the papers probably know fuck all. But what they are reporting (i.e us offering well under asking prices for players seemingly involved in a bidding war) is exactly what we've done in the past.

Yep. You've gotta say that so far this offseason is shaping up as more of the same.

Davey: Granted the papers probably know fuck all. But what they are reporting (i.e us offering well under asking prices for players seemingly involved in a bidding war) is exactly what we've done in the past.

:dunno:

Jimbos Telly.

I wouldn't be too worried about a lack of signings yet. There's plenty of time for that come August when Williamson is lining up in our first game!

I wouldn't be too worried about a lack of signings yet. There's plenty of time for that come August when Williamson is lining up in our first game!

:lol: Is that daft cunt still our player? Is he fucking forward rolling his way to this medical he is supposedly having at Leeds the useless prick.

You would think Mike Ashley had never given that interview the way some of you are carrying on, amirite Dave? Bob Marley's Three Little Birds is the theme song for this preseason.

"Hello there Lee it's Tony 'ere speak to me, already got bids in from Liverpool and that so what's the bidding?"

"erm... Liverpool eh? hmm well... erm... how about nine million quid? how's that grabbing you?"

"Come off it Lee, Liverpool have already hoyed a 12m offer our way, you've got to do better than that!"

"erm... nah, we wont be bullied... erm so errrrm... nine million quid final offer"

"Fuck off penfold, is Steve about? or even Mike?"

"erm... they put me in charge... how about seven million quid?"

"How the fuck are you lot in the Premier League?" *click*

"erm... well... erm what about five million?... erm... Tony? you there?.... ahh erm... I think he put the phone down... oh look at the time.... 9.05am eh late day"

Seriously though I do think we will see some movement quite quickly because as the letter from Mr Tickle shows, there is clearly a concern from the club that tickets won't be sold. A lot of people aren't going to renew until they see club's talk backed up with action.

I still think that chances are we'll not be doing enough to give us a squad worthy of the name but I do think they feel a bit backed into a corner so they will pull out a reasonable signing sooner rather than later,

• Guest locked, unlocked and locked this topic