Newcastle United V Everton

Anorthernsoul

Felt sorry for Dummet tbf.

Their first he was the one taking our corner, and Anita was the cover. Something I've lambasted Pardew for in the past and still wonder why it's not the other way around. Let players do the job they train for.

Their second Gouffran had just pegged it 80 yards up the field at full pelt and he made no effort whatsoever to get back. Dummet is expected to support Gouff going forward but didn't get any reciprocation in that instance.

He's a bairn and he's got Sissoko, Gouffran or Ben Arfa in front of him, wandering all over the park, side to side maintaining no shape or balance whatsoever. No wonder he looks lost.

If we can't have our wingers swap sides with any sort of discipline then we shouldn't be having them swap at all until they get better drilled at it.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wrote dejong off when we were linked with signing him from twente in fairness, i never thought he was anything special

I wrote him off before you were born Haitch.

Too many players out there just weren't up to the job (doesn't help when three or four of them are playing out of position and others are being asked to play in a way that doesn't suit them) but really it's unfair to pick out any one player when there was really only Cisse and Tiote who had anything like an acceptable game last night.

The season ended with the sale of Cabaye and when out two next best players are out as well we look largely inept. Without those three players all season we'd have been in a relegation battle without doubt. And there's a strong chance that all of those players won't be available to us next term.

Too many players out there just weren't up to the job (doesn't help when three or four of them are playing out of position and others are being asked to play in a way that doesn't suit them) but really it's unfair to pick out any one player when there was really only Cisse and Tiote who had anything like an acceptable game last night.The season ended with the sale of Cabaye and when out two next best players are out as well we look largely inept. Without those three players all season we'd have been in a relegation battle without doubt. And there's a strong chance that all of those players won't be available to us next term.

As soon as Remy's not playing were fucked.

Aye the lad is wasted out wide on the right tbh.

I used to think that, but he's been quite productive out there and I think with a proper fullback behind him he'd cut in, making space for the overlapping Debuchy.

I don't think he'd do much better through the centre, not the way we're set up currently.

I used to think that, but he's been quite productive out there and I think with a proper fullback behind him he'd cut in, making space for the overlapping Debuchy.

I don't think he'd do much better through the centre, not the way we're set up currently.

I prefer when he's with Debuchy as like you say it lets him cut inside with Debuchy keeping the fullback wide, I still think his best position is deeper in the middle though as his powerful runs have a better chance of starting from deep where there's more space, as often he's just being crowded out higher up the field.

We have a lot of industry in the side but sadly very little creativity and I think that's really evident on the wings, Sissoko and Gouffran are hard workers (I like both players btw) but they're both missing that final bit of skill to really unlock the door (as Souness used to say).

Was a fan of Nigella, by all accounts, but always struck me as a lovely bloke. Also proof we've been mugging the French league for fucking years!

Aye we've had a lot of French players over the years. His name was a nightmare for old blokes like the amount of times I heard him called Bernard (instead of Bernarr) and Oliver :lol:

I always feel we look better when we have Sissoko coming through the middle to pounce on loose balls at the edge of the box. Both Tiote and Anita are somewhat averse (understandably) to throwing themselves forward, so often one of our strikers ends up out in a wide area with no-one for support. Sissoko should be providing that support from midfield with late runs into the box like Cabaye used to do.

It's such a rigid set up too, bringing in Ben Arfa for De Jong opens us up to trying different formations throughout the game and becoming more fluid. We could keep the four midfielders and play him behind the striker, or switch him to the right and push Sissoko more central. Sticking with the players and formation we've played the last couple games gives us no plan B and no creativity. We're handicapping ourselves before the game has even started.

Edited by StoneColdStephenIreland

It's such a rigid set up too, bringing in Ben Arfa for De Jong opens us up to trying different formations throughout the game and becoming more fluid. We could keep the four midfielders and play him behind the striker, or switch him to the right and push Sissoko more central. Sticking with the players and formation we've played the last couple games gives us no plan B and no creativity. We're handicapping ourselves before the game has even started.

Play 5 in mf and give him a free role would be ideal imo. With no tracking back responsibilities.

Play 5 in mf and give him a free role would be ideal imo. With no tracking back responsibilities.

Exactly, give him the free role behind the lone striker, it leaves Tiote and Anita to do their natural jobs and it keeps Gouffran and Sissoko on the wings as Pardew seems to prefer his workmen like wingers. It lets him pick it up from deep and link up the play.

Ben Arfa on the right (which is the only position he's played well for us) and Sissoko in the middle in place of Anita for me.

That only leaves the problem of still having De Jong on the pitch until Remy is back (which might be Saturday I'm reading now).