3 hours ago, The Fish said:

We should sell him because;

He's not first choice

We have some depth at CB

He's on c£55k

He'll raise more money than any other defenders

He's playing at around his limit, maybe a little above it

And because I say so

All depends on if they're offering a reasonable amount for him, and no I don't know what that would be. He's done a good job covering the first team this season, any decent replacements would cost a lot more money. We need to focus on DM, RW and a forward for now not freaking Lascelles' replacement. I think he's a much better 3rd choice option than Burn.

I'd be snapping their hands off if we had any sort of FFP wriggle room mind. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

I do think he's been very good, which is why I think we should sell him now. This would be the last window he'd go for any kind of money. 

I don't think the difference between him and Burn is particularly big at CB, and while Krafth and Dummett are clear downgrades, they're 4th and 5th in the queue.

In terms of depth you've got to look at where we're weakest and CB is not that. 

Which game was it where Burn filled in at CB and looked like it was the first time he had played football? Was it Brighton? Howe hasn't played him there since 

1 minute ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Which game was it where Burn filled in at CB and looked like it was the first time he had played football? Was it Brighton? Howe hasn't played him there since 

Brighton. Aye.

Although I think you could have said that about a lot of the team that day. We were completely schooled.

I think he'd need a run of games there to get back up to speed at CB. He has barely played there for a couple of seasons now (and was utilised quite a lot as LB for Brighton as well).

• Like 1

Burn's had some poor games at LB too this season mind. Lascelles came in and, against expectations including mine, did a job against CL and top Premier league opposition. Don't think we can expect that from Burn. 

15 hours ago, aimaad22 said:

All depends on if they're offering a reasonable amount for him, and no I don't know what that would be. He's done a good job covering the first team this season, any decent replacements would cost a lot more money. We need to focus on DM, RW and a forward for now not freaking Lascelles' replacement. I think he's a much better 3rd choice option than Burn.

I'd be snapping their hands off if we had any sort of FFP wriggle room mind. 

Well we should aim to get around £7-10m for him, which may not sound a lot, but it's pure FFP profit.

I don't know why you think we'd have to spend any money we got for Lascelles, on a replacement for Lascelles? He's fine for a 3-4th choice CB, but so is Burn, and arguably Krafth and Dummett too. They don't need to be as good as Botman or Schar, just good enough to help us limp past whichever opponent we're facing on the odd occasions where we're without our first choice CB partnership. Ideally, the 3rd choice CB would be a young, promising academy graduate. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Fish said:

I don't know why you think we'd have to spend any money we got for Lascelles, on a replacement for Lascelles? He's fine for a 3-4th choice CB, but so is Burn, and arguably Krafth and Dummett too.

I don't know about that. I know Krafth and Dummett did well in the one or two games they've had to play this season but do you think we can compete on 4 fronts (assuming we sneak into Europe) and hope to get back into the CL when we're one injury away from having to play Dummett for an extended period of time. I think there's a few levels between Botman/Schar and Dummet/Krafth (even Burn) and Lascelles is in them. I think you need at least one good quality CB for rotation, someone who can reliably feature in 10-15 games depending on injuries. 

Yeah a promising academy graduate would be nice but we don't seem to be anywhere near that at the moment. So you're still looking at spending maybe 10-20M on an up and coming CB from Europe, for instance. Unless Howe has the kind of confidence in Dummett and Krafth that you do.

Edited by aimaad22
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, aimaad22 said:

I don't know about that. I know Krafth and Dummett did well in the one or two games they've had to play this season but do you think we can compete on 4 fronts (assuming we sneak into Europe) and hope to get back into the CL when we're one injury away from having to play Dummett for an extended period of time. I think there's a few levels between Botman/Schar and Dummet/Krafth (even Burn) and Lascelles is in them. I think you need at least one good quality CB for rotation, someone who can reliably feature in 10-15 games depending on injuries. 

Yeah a promising academy graduate would be nice but we don't seem to be anywhere near that at the moment. So you're still looking at spending maybe 10-20M on an up and coming CB from Europe, for instance. Unless Howe has the kind of confidence in Dummett and Krafth that you do.

I'm taking about selling Lascelles now, buy a DM, then bring in a CB in the summer window