Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow

Tooj

Id have snapped your hand off 6months ago, and we are desperate for incoming cash, but he's probably our 3rd choice CB now and I'm not sure we can afford to let him go without a replacement 

• Like 1

Think FFP and him being one of the players who wouldn’t get much game time if everyone was fit means he’ll be away if it’s true. 

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Who else have we got? We could play Burn there but other than that it means we're wheeling out Paul Dummett and his zimmerframe.

Burn is clearly 3rd choice and we've got Krafth and Dummett as experienced pros, plus that young Alex Murphy lad. 

I'd sell him and sell him now. 

• Like 2

It would leave us with Botman, Schar, Burn, Krafth, Dummet and the young lad Murphy at CB - not the greatest depth. 

Krafth has already demonstrated this season that he can do a job at CB under the right coach but Lascelles deserves to be at least our third choice based on what he's done this season. He didn't let anyone down when called upon. I would prefer to give him another year contract. If we do get rid, the noise about our FFP struggles must be true. 

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

JL is a better option than Burn at CB based on what we've seen from both players in that position this season 

I would agree.  I think he's done more to warrant an extension and place over Burn.  I know Burn has been injured and is playing out of position but this season I think Lascelles has been solid.

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It would leave us with Botman, Schar, Burn, Krafth, Dummet and the young lad Murphy at CB - not the greatest depth. 

Krafth has already demonstrated this season that he can do a job at CB under the right coach but Lascelles deserves to be at least our third choice based on what he's done this season. He didn't let anyone down when called upon. I would prefer to give him another year contract. If we do get rid, the noise about our FFP struggles must be true. 

We should sell him because;

He's not first choice

We have some depth at CB

He's on c£55k

He'll raise more money than any other defenders

He's playing at around his limit, maybe a little above it

And because I say so

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

No room for sentimentality tbh. I mean there is, amongst us as fans, but you know what I mean. Agree with Fish on this one. Yes, Dave - you have permission to frame that 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, The Fish said:

We should sell him because;

He's not first choice

We have some depth at CB

He's on c£55k

He'll raise more money than any other defenders

He's playing at around his limit, maybe a little above it

And because I say so

It depends on the extent to which we're being constrained by FFP. If it's a choice between someone like Lascelles or Bruno going to free up FFP headroom the obviously I'd rather it was Lascelles. There are other players such as Miggy, Murphy and Longstaff who can still do a good job in the PL but you would accept moving on, if needed, as we improve the squad. 

However, I think he's been genuinely excellent this season - the sort of player you would want as third choice CB as you build a squad - that's not just me being sentimental.  

1 hour ago, wykikitoon said:

Should be elite defenders thread tbh

IMG_20240118_102641.jpg

The elite defenders thread is for mocking rubbish defenders. Don't sully it with legitimately good statistics.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It depends on the extent to which we're being constrained by FFP. If it's a choice between someone like Lascelles or Bruno going to free up FFP headroom the obviously I'd rather it was Lascelles. There are other players such as Miggy, Murphy and Longstaff who can still do a good job in the PL but you would accept moving on, if needed, as we improve the squad. 

However, I think he's been genuinely excellent this season - the sort of player you would want as third choice CB as you build a squad - that's not just me being sentimental.  

I do think he's been very good, which is why I think we should sell him now. This would be the last window he'd go for any kind of money. 

I don't think the difference between him and Burn is particularly big at CB, and while Krafth and Dummett are clear downgrades, they're 4th and 5th in the queue.

In terms of depth you've got to look at where we're weakest and CB is not that. 

• Like 1

I accept that Lascelles is in the bracket of player we will have to move on at some point but i disagree that Burn is a similar level based on what we've seen this season - he's a couple of years older too. Krafth is very much a utility/4th choice. if they do let JL go, you'd hope they've got Schar's long-term replacement lined up for the summer, and Schar becomes a rotation option. 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

He might fancy the move too in the ‘one last big contract’ sense 

Plus, Turkey seems to be a great laugh for ex-Premier League players. 

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Plus, Turkey seems to be a great laugh for ex-Premier League players. 

Tell that to Christian Atsu.

Too soon?

• Haha 3