Jamaal Lascelles and Karl Darlow

Tooj

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Another impressive performance from Lascelles. You can only beat what’s in front of you and he was clearly helped by Palace’s reluctance to press him. He defended as solidly as you would expect but the thing that strikes me about the Eddie Howe version of Lascelles is how much more comfortable he looks in possession. He stepped out of defence and played it forwards a few times yesterday. I didn’t think he had that in his locker tbh 

Aye there was a pass out to Gordon's feet that made me double check it hadn't been Schar pinging it.

• Like 4

Speaking of things I didn’t think he had in his locker, he even played a couple of successful long range switch passes. He’ll obviously never be Botman or Schar but credit where it’s due

Good coaching, eh? I thought we could write off players who looked poor for other managers or in different systems.

I don’t think anyone after the takeover went through would have predicted that longstaff, Murphy, Joelinton and Lascelles would all be important players for us two years into the project - or even still at the club!

Edited by Dr Gloom
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Aye there was a pass out to Gordon's feet that made me double check it hadn't been Schar pinging it.

Which is the best stat site for individual game performance? I imagine his numbers are pretty good yesterday 

3 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Which is the best stat site for individual game performance? I imagine his numbers are pretty good yesterday 

Fbref for raw data, whoscored for visualisations

22 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

He's been great.  His character too.  Not once moaned or kicked off and thrown a hissy fit.  Grafted and improved and even knocked fuck out of a chav.

Plus broke records for number of bookings late in the game, from the touchline, wearing trackies.

• Haha 3

I think playing with quality around you in a team that's been blowing away the opposition helps a lot, but you still have to give credit to Lascelles. I thought we'd really struggle if either CB got injured, but he's stepped up and done very well. 

• Like 2

He's done well, but he benefits from us playing a high press and mostly having more possession than the opposition. Thats why Man City/Barca etc can play midfield dwarves at CB on occasion.

He was at sixes and sevens against West Ham in the first half.

Aye but it’s also not easy coming in when you haven’t played much. Especially as it’s important to have a good understanding with your goalkeeper and other defenders. Particularly the other CB when you’re playing in a flat back four. You only get so much of that from training together. 
The high press and our dominance obviously helps massively but he’s looked the part rather than being a weak link 

Yeah he's not going to be a first choice CB here now is he, Botman should certainly be coming straight back in when fit. It's good that he's shown he can be reliable backup in this system. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

it's about time this board gave the captain some well-deserved love. he was my motm against arsenal. 

he didn't put a foot wrong all game. had the arsenal attackers in his back pocket. he looked quick, he looked sharp and he dominated them physically, winning all the headers he went up for and he put in one crunching perfectly-timed sliding tackle that dummett would be proud of. 

okay, he'll never play those perfect 40 yard pinged long ball like schar and botman can, but what he is doing is helping start attacks by passing it sharply forwards in those little triangles we use to get us further up the pitch. i didn't think he had that in his game before he came back into the side.

apart from a little wobble in the first half against west ham, when he lost his man over his shoulder for the goal, he hasn't put a foot wrong since returning to the side.

he looks fit, he looks lean, he looks quick. and i saw his leadership qualities return with the confidence that a few good games bring - he was even barking orders at tripper against arsenal. who'd have thought it? i thought lascelles was captain in name only, but perhaps not. 

i'm loving his reinvention. it has to rank up there with the joelinton transformation among eddie howe's greatest hits. what a coach this man is. long may it continue.

• Like 9

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's about time this board gave the captain some well-deserved love. he was my motm against arsenal. 

he didn't put a foot wrong all game. had the arsenal attackers in his back pocket. he looked quick, he looked sharp and he dominated them physically, winning all the headers he went up for and he put in one crunching perfectly-timed sliding tackle that dummett would be proud of. 

okay, he'll never play those perfect 40 yard pinged long ball like schar and botman can, but what he is doing is helping start attacks by passing it sharply forwards in those little triangles we use to get us further up the pitch. i didn't think he had that in his game before he came back into the side.

apart from a little wobble in the first half against west ham, when he lost his man over his shoulder for the goal, he hasn't put a foot wrong since returning to the side.

he looks fit, he looks lean, he looks quick. and i saw his leadership qualities return with the confidence that a few good games bring - he was even barking orders at tripper against arsenal. who'd have thought it? i thought lascelles was captain in name only, but perhaps not. 

i'm loving his reinvention. it has to rank up there with the joelinton transformation among eddie howe's greatest hits. what a coach this man is. long may it continue.

Aye absolute mountain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Thats him having a stinker tomorrow night then.

• Jaysus... 1