Newcastle United V Manchester City | Sunday 17 August 2014 | St. James' Park | Kick-off 16:00

Anorthernsoul

Based on that I think there's reason to be hopeful. Well played against the defending champs for the most part. 5 yellows for the champs. When they settle a bit and get Tiote and DeJong back in, think we'll be a good side.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dignity table doesn't count for much in football these days dude.

Counts more than ever in my estimation - with such distinct gulfs in financial outlays it's very much a tiered competition.

I thought we played well considering, we didn't deserve to lose. Now that we have played our first game, with new boys, who did extremely well. I'm now looking forward to the rest of the season.

We played well today, anyone saying different is just grinding the pardew/ashley axe.

Cabella looks to be a class little player, didn't struggle with the physicality of the game which many worried about him.

Riviere looks strong and fast, good foil for De Jong when he returns and could become more if he can sort out a bit of composure.

Happy to see a similar 433 against the better teams and hopefully a 4231 against others once we're back to full strength

krul

janmaat willo colo santon

tiote sissoko

cabella de jong gouffran

riviere

disappointed with the loss, not the performance today.

We'd have beaten most other teams in the league. A lot of positives to tak from that.

We could do with another Centre back and unless Ferreyra is the answer I'd like to see us bring in a striker.

Bringing in a striker is pointless if we're still persisting with Gouffran on the wing.

Bringing in a striker is pointless if we're still persisting with Gouffran on the wing.

I think Gouffran brings a lot to the squad but I wouldn't have him starting anyway.

It should be Ben Arfa, it'll probably be Sissoko

Perez or Aarons.

Both did come on, Perez on at the time means we're switching to 2 up front, totally different system.

Aarons didn't exactly come in and win it did he?

He's not in the squad...might as well be asking for us to bring Aguero on.

Yeah, was a flippant response, but still has some relevance.

Of the substitutes, I would have brought Abeid on ahead of Obertan if a like for like with Anita was necassary. Colback did drop back into the position and played it well, so I guess we could have brought on one of the other attacking options and shuffled the pack a little. Cabella into the center with Aarons onto the wing (although with hindsight he didn't look threatening) or Perez on to play as a link-up man in the middle.

Perez was very sharp when he came on. Want to see a lot of him this season.

I think Gouffran brings a lot to the squad but I wouldn't have him starting anyway.

It should be Ben Arfa, it'll probably be Sissoko

He runs about but that's all I can think of, especially out wide where I want some end product from my players.

Cabella looks to be a class little player, didn't struggle with the physicality of the game which many worried about him.

Riviere looks strong and fast, good foil for De Jong when he returns and could become more if he can sort out a bit of composure.

Cabella has great quick feet and.good.movement. As I said earlier I hope he can maintain the enthusiasm.

On Riviere, all factors considered it's completely reasonable for a young player in a new league and country in front of a large home crowd against the champions to be impacted by nerves. I felt he improved as the game went on and he settled. Physically impressive against Kompany in particular he held his own despite being shorter and in a different weight class.

Haven't seen anyone else mention him but Colback was canny/on the verge of very good.

Aarons and Obertan are the classic looked good againt amateurs but not good enough against quality - the former obviously at least having promise, the latter being a waste of time on every level.

Edited by NJS

Both did come on, Perez on at the time means we're switching to 2 up front, totally different system.

Aarons didn't exactly come in and win it did he?

You would hope that Aarons has a future here, whilst conversely Obertan should not. In less time on the pitch Aarons had more impact. Obertan on for Anita was changing the system because Sissoko is never going to drop back and play Anita's role.

Haven't seen anyone else mention him but Colback was canny/on the verge of very good.

Aarons and Obertan are the classic looked good againt amateurs but not good enough against quality - the former obviously at least having promise, the latter being a waste of time on every level.

Agree. Colback was strong today. Cabella looks good on the ball as well, hope to see him have more of a chance with it in the coming weeks.