Newcastle United V Manchester City | Sunday 17 August 2014 | St. James' Park | Kick-off 16:00

Anorthernsoul

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a thoroughly enjoyable game to watch. Some very promising performances from our boys . A couple of pieces of individual brilliance from the Harlem globetrotters made the difference.

Let's not over analise the game to death.

I don't think anybody is in any danger of that.

Spoke to Souness on the flight back to Southampton last night. He didn't want discuss losing two semi finals in four days. Not with two pissed shite talking twats anyway. Not sure why....

When he spoke to the likes of Yosser Hughes, it was just a television drama programme, Rob. I can imagine him giving more benign looks to the remains of dog excrement on his expensive shoes than two badly dressed, alcoholic breath, forty somethings with a 1984 replica NUFC shirt on and slurred speech about being 2-0 up on aggregate in Lisbon and blowing it etc, etc.

Anyway, how you keeping? :D

As I'm sure has already been said, I thought there were quite a few positives to take from the game. Colback was our man of the match, and gave the midfield the energy and bite it lacked whenever Cabaye was out of the team. He obviously won't replace the creativity of the beautiful Yohan, but I was happy to see him looking forward more often than not. If he can keep up that level of performance, it's going to make a lot of overly precious people look very silly. The team on the whole looked committed and full of running, closing down and strong in the tackle. We'll need that this year, as goals may be slightly more difficult to come by.

Riviere looked quite strong, and I was shocked to see how much of a unit he is in the flesh. Looks to have a touch on him, and not afraid to put himself about. He'll need to massively improve his composure if he's going to make a truly positive impact, mind. It'll be interesting to see how he fares against lesser defences, and with De Jong up there with him. Cabella looked flashy, but a little nervous. Had some nice touches and moments, though, and It's clear to see that he'll be a massive player for us this year. Janmaat looked a little off the pace to me, slow to the challenge and nervous/unadventurous with the ball. Odd one really, considering he was the opposite in the last friendly, but I guess that it can be put down to nerves and needing time to adapt to the nature of the league.

How we looked after the changes was perhaps the biggest plus. We were very quick on the break, clever with the ball, and young Perez appeared absolutely fearless. It was also good to see Pardew bollocking Krul for kicking it long after Riviere had went off. Common sense, at last. Sissoko was a real driving force throughout, but I hope he's given more support on the break against the lesser teams. It was disappointing to lose, because I think we'd have got something if we'd been more adventurous earlier on, but City always looked capable of moving up a gear or two. Dzeko was the best player on the pitch for me.

Janmaat looked a little off the pace to me, slow to the challenge and nervous/unadventurous with the ball. Odd one really, considering he was the opposite in the last friendly, but I guess that it can be put down to nerves and needing time to adapt to the nature of the league.

I suspect you can put it down to Pardew instructing him not to get too far forward against citeh. I hope (and expect given the way Debuchy played) that he'll be given more licence to push on against weaker sides.

I thought he looked quite solid defensively and good on the ball if, as you say, unadventurous. I have no worries about him at all. He might not be an improvement on Debuchy but I think he'll slot in just fine.

Aye, you're probably right. Would explain the selection of Dummett ahead of Haidara too. He did just seem hesitant when he had a decision to make. In the friendly, he looked like Debuchy mk.II, so I don't have too many concerns with him.

When he spoke to the likes of Yosser Hughes, it was just a television drama programme, Rob. I can imagine him giving more benign looks to the remains of dog excrement on his expensive shoes than two badly dressed, alcoholic breath, forty somethings with a 1984 replica NUFC shirt on and slurred speech about being 2-0 up on aggregate in Lisbon and blowing it etc, etc.

Anyway, how you keeping? :D

Err yeah fine mate. It was the 86 "last blue star" kit tbh but apart from that its almost as if you were there :glare:

Aye, you're probably right. Would explain the selection of Dummett ahead of Haidara too. He did just seem hesitant when he had a decision to make. In the friendly, he looked like Debuchy mk.II, so I don't have too many concerns with him.

Aye, that was the nearest thing to logic I could come up with for the Dummett selection also.

Aye, that was the nearest thing to logic I could come up with for the Dummett selection also.

Since when was there any logic with Pardew's line up and even more so with substitutions. Dummett is slow, tactically bankrupt and believes his own publicity. Who in their right mind would have brought on Obertan against City. Edited by BLACKANDWHITEGEORDIE