The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's an unbelievable sport.

I think people tend to knock it, for the majority of the time, because they don't understand it. There's a hell of a lot of variables that go into a cricket match, which is what makes it so interesting. For example, simply being overcast for a couple of hours, of having a small patch of grass appear can change the whole complexion of a match.

There's a hell of a lot more skill needed than for football too.

I enjoy T20 and ODI's (Jonny i'll be there next week), but they're not a patch on Test Match Cricket, which is the real beauty of the sport. It's great that you can play for 5 days, 8 hours a day and it finish in a draw.

Can't wait for my trip to Sydney for the 13/14 Ashes. Will be the trip of a lifetime.

I can't stand it.

Get off my SSN so I can watch more repeated football stories and Millie Clode.

Aye. Also my dislike of it was partly due early doors, due to the fact I was absolutely fuckin shite at it. It's like people who are shite at football are more inclined to dislike it. Me though, couldn't field, couldn't catch, couldn't bowl, couldn't bat. I was shite. I don't know what skill goes in to it though, apart from spin bowlers. It's just about timing with the bat. You will never see someone in cricket do anything as remarkable as Maradona v England for example.

I think people tend to knock it, for the majority of the time, because they don't understand it. There's a hell of a lot of variables that go into a cricket match, which is what makes it so interesting. For example, simply being overcast for a couple of hours, of having a small patch of grass appear can change the whole complexion of a match.

I enjoy T20 and ODI's (Jonny i'll be there next week), but they're not a patch on Test Match Cricket, which is the real beauty of the sport. It's great that you can play for 5 days, 8 hours a day and it finish in a draw.

Can't wait for my trip to Sydney for the 13/14 Ashes. Will be the trip of a lifetime.

I can't understand that too. It must fuck them off if they're leading, it starts raining and it's basically like "right fuck it just caal it a draa". It happened in the last ashes, surely run rate would be fairer in that instance.

I can't stand it.

Aye. Also my dislike of it was partly due early doors, due to the fact I was absolutely fuckin shite at it. It's like people who are shite at football are more inclined to dislike it. Me though, couldn't field, couldn't catch, couldn't bowl, couldn't bat. I was shite. I don't know what skill goes in to it though, apart from spin bowlers. It's just about timing with the bat. You will never see someone in cricket do anything as remarkable as Maradona v England for example.

I can't understand that too. It must fuck them off if they're leading, it starts raining and it's basically like "right fuck it just caal it a draa". It happened in the last ashes, surely run rate would be fairer in that instance.

Reading the weather though is a big part of tactics. For example in the last test match we could have batted on for another day or two, but instead read the weather forecast, declared earlier and bowled India out in less time than we thought we would have had.

I can't stand it.

I was about to post a bit of Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyynnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeee. :icon_lol:

Reading the weather though is a big part of tactics. For example in the last test match we could have batted on for another day or two, but instead read the weather forecast, declared earlier and bowled India out in less time than we thought we would have had.

Aye but even so say you got 700 all out first innings they get 300 then 2nd innings you get 500 all out, they need 900 to win they're on 90/7 and it starts fucking raining, I bet there have been less extreme instances of that that have bordered on a disgrace though.

I do like cricket, but you've got to be suspicious about any sport where reading the weather is seen as some massive stroke of tactical genius. We might as well be world #1 in Dressing Properly For The Shops.

I can't stand it.

pah - yee could dee that, but Reid would've had the ball of ye on the half way line in Mexico City.

Part of the beauty of the game is that it can last five days and be a draw, a Test series might take up twenty days of a month and still be drawn. The Americans who have to play 'overtime' until there's a result simply can't get their heads round it. Also there's no other game where the changes in weather or condition of the pitch can make such massive momentum swings.

I love to potter around in the summer with TMS on, it's a peculiar mix of upper-class twits and ex-players, but its such a warm, friendly, English programme.

I prefer the tension that can build over a test rather than the home-run derby of T20, although they both have their place (with the 40 or 50 over game being squeezed out probably).

It's also played in a tremendously sporting spirit. IE: MS Dhoni letting Bell continue his innings when technically he was out even though we were absolutely paggering them, the whole Indian team surrounding Cook to shake hands with him after he'd ground them into the dirt with his 294, Freddie consoling Brett Lee at Edgbaston in 2005 etc, etc.

Aye but even so say you got 700 all out first innings they get 300 then 2nd innings you get 500 all out, they need 900 to win they're on 90/7 and it starts fucking raining, I bet there have been less extreme instances of that that have bordered on a disgrace though.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the sport, Stevie. So much wrong with that 'example' in terms of timing of declarations/time needed to bowl people out etc!

In your example you make them follow on (bat again before you), but I take your point. It's just part of the game.

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand the sport, Stevie. So much wrong with that 'example' in terms of timing of declarations/time needed to bowl people out etc!

I've never claimed to have a depth of understanding about cricket, but I bet that has happened loads of times when no one was expecting rain especially here.

I've never claimed to have a depth of understanding about cricket, but I bet that has happened loads of times when no one was expecting rain especially here.

Well aye obviously rain can frustrate our plans, but, unless you have a total wash out, especially on modern pitches, a result is still possible in most instances.

It's usually really flat 600 run wickets that cause the draws, not the rain.

I can't stand it.

pah - yee could dee that, but Reid would've had the ball of ye on the half way line in Mexico City.

:icon_lol: Behave man.

My gaffa played for Hertfordshire years ago, he fucked off to Australia and played against Brett Lee, in the leagues over there but he fucked his knee at 23, and he was saying to me knee injuries amongst bowlers happen as much if not more so than footballers, I just couldn't comprehend it. I mean when you look back at fat bastards like Mike Gatting and Tufnell you'd have thought they were too unathletic, but he showed me the movement in slow motion and you can see how it happens like. Whenever we used to play with a corker at school I'd dive out the way of the cunt cos it used to hurt me hands.

I'd say cricket is like quite a few sports where its canny to play but I just couldn't sit and watch it. Look at snooker. Who wouldn't want to pick up a cue and have a couple of games if you had a free, pristine table and a nice cold pint on your table? However, ask me to watch it and thats a different matter, I'd sooner watch an episode of Emmerdale Farm to be honest.

I'd say cricket is like quite a few sports where its canny to play but I just couldn't sit and watch it. Look at snooker. Who wouldn't want to pick up a cue and have a couple of games if you had a free, pristine table and a nice cold pint on your table? However, ask me to watch it and thats a different matter, I'd sooner watch an episode of Emmerdale Farm to be honest.

Plus 1

I'm much more tolerant of it than when I was younger. I think I'd definately enjoy it more if I understood the subtelties of it all and was a more patient sort. I can appreciate the slow-burn nature of it and once you 'tune into it' I can also relate to the relaxing escapism mentioned earlier.

Think there's a lot in what Stevie was saying regarding being good at playing it you maybe enjoy watching it more. Laughing at the anecdotes - used to hate cricket at games in school too. No good at the techniques. Any of them. You'd have to bowl infront of everyone and it just never happened like ! Had to bowl an over at some inter-works gig few years ago. Fuck me. 2 (extra) wides, 2 that just about made it to the other end and 2 smashed out of sight. Mentally scarred.

Same as serving in tennis - just doesn't come naturally . I could hardly feel more of an idiot attempting a serve or a bowl .

Like fast-walking down Northumberland Street with ya keks round your ankles wearing a Red Nose Day nose and a pair of skis .

• Haha 1