The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can understand why they've applied that rule - as Stevie says to level out the possession but to me it's fundamentally wrong. The non-contact is what pisses me off particualarly in such a physical game. Much prefer the way union deals with it in rucks and mauls.

Physical strength is one of the predominant factors in the sport of rugby. If that results in one side getting more possession than the other then so be it.

Imagine the outcry if they tried to apply something similar in football. "I'm sorry Mr Rooney, you might have got to the opposition penalty area but your side has been tackled 5 times - hand the ball over please."

More like "fucking hell ref you cunting peice of shite, why you pull the game up"

"Get off, youre not speaking to me like that"

Craig did you watch the Challenge cup final this weekend? Fantastic advert for RL (well apart from the ref decisions).

Its about time the officiating side of things was taken into football. BUT IMO thats a little too late.

Its the 5 tackle rule that puts it ahead of RU imo. Union is too stop start.

Scrum, collapse, scrum again, collapse, scrum and we are in play! Now its a line out, he's caught it and its a 15 man pile on. 30 seconds to decide who actually has the ball underneath it all . . . no thanks!

League is 5 tackles, and then swap, another set of 5 and then swap. Much higher tempo and more exciting imo.

Scrum, collapse, scrum again, collapse, scrum and we are in play! Now its a line out, he's caught it and its a 15 man pile on. 30 seconds to decide who actually has the ball underneath it all . . . no thanks!

League is 5 tackles, and then swap, another set of 5 and then swap. Much higher tempo and more exciting imo.

Yep. I prefer the faster game.

Spot on really. Three good posts in a few days.

I like both codes, but a bad union game is worse than a bad league game. You cannot call the 2003 world cup final dull regardless of whether you like the game. Same for many games of cricket such as that Ashes match we won in 2005 by 2 runs, or the draw in Cardiff in 2009.

I like both codes, but a bad union game is worse than a bad league game. You cannot call the 2003 world cup final dull regardless of whether you like the game. Same for many games of cricket such as that Ashes match we won in 2005 by 2 runs, or the draw in Cardiff in 2009.

Fair comment that like. Watched the 2003 WC final again on ESPN Classic recently as it happens. It was tense as fuck even when you knew the result. I'll never forget that match. Barring dementia.

Personally not a fan of Rugby League and actually it's to do with the 5 tackle rule. Not sure why but I've always preferred Union. Think the fact that I played RU helps with that though.

As for Stevie's fishing, it's not hard to spot. Had I posted that response before on a Friday evening I'd have expected a torrent of alcohol-fuelled abuse :lol:

I'm rarely here on a friday night, but I don't think I've had a crossed word with anyone on here for a year!

Brock the other night? :D

No-one should do :lol:

Personally not a fan of Rugby League and actually it's to do with the 5 tackle rule. Not sure why but I've always preferred Union. Think the fact that I played RU helps with that though.

As for Stevie's fishing, it's not hard to spot. Had I posted that response before on a Friday evening I'd have expected a torrent of alcohol-fuelled abuse :lol:

I'm rarely here on a friday night, but I don't think I've had a crossed word with anyone on here for a year!

Well to be fair I'd got in from a heavy night of all sorts, and saw being a heed the baal towards me and reacted, then apologised. Very rare event :lol: Brock's areet for a Berkshire bamp anyway.

I think Rugby League was always a Northern sport, but not this far north, always got the impression that posh people play rugby union and scruffs play rugby league. That might because RL's hardcore base is the M62 corridor, and it's arguably the tunnel of the country with the biggest amount of bamps. Merseyside, Gtr Mancs, Lancs, West Yorkshire and Humberside. 9m people struggling above the poverty line.

I love it, but again, I was raised on it. My old man played it when he was younger so is was the 'other' sport in our house behind football. I have fantastic childhood memories of being taken to the beach or onto the field to be taught how to bat and bowl by the old man..as well as lazy summer days in the garden listening to TMS.

Don't know about anyone else's school, but we had the same dozen kids who were good at every sport, football, athletics, basketball who used to walk around like a dog with two dicks because they were the best. Seeing the surprise on their faces as I clean bowled the fuckers and slogged them out the ground when they weren't expecting it was probably one of the most enjoyable moments of secondary school tbh.

Ditto! our school was always getting to like national quarters/semis etc in football and theres no chance of getting into the football team, I played for the rugby team purely because I was quite fast and could take a tackle, but I got bored of the predictability of it. Other than softball in PE, cricket was the only sport I was any good at! Captained the school as wicket keeper :lol: and we won like the county cup thing, with those jack of all trades low down the order, felt great.

Well to be fair I'd got in from a heavy night of all sorts, and saw being a heed the baal towards me and reacted, then apologised. Very rare event :lol: Brock's areet for a Berkshire bamp anyway.

I think Rugby League was always a Northern sport, but not this far north, always got the impression that posh people play rugby union and scruffs play rugby league. That might because RL's hardcore base is the M62 corridor, and it's arguably the tunnel of the country with the biggest amount of bamps. Merseyside, Gtr Mancs, Lancs, West Yorkshire and Humberside. 9m people struggling above the poverty line.

Hmm, mostly right! I live in South Humberside though (Ie the bit that's not the shithole of Hull) and neither sport has a massive following (no large teams nearby), but the people who do play play in Union, I don't even think there's a local sunday league League side tbh.

Also, cricket is the only other sport with a sizable following here. The cricket clubs are full in summer and Lincolnshire County sometimes play their Minor Counties games here. But anyway you're right, it's mostly the Yorks/Lancs area and around there that play league.

As for Stevie's fishing, it's not hard to spot. Had I posted that response before on a Friday evening I'd have expected a torrent of alcohol-fuelled abuse :D

Brock the other night? :lol:

Well to be fair I'd got in from a heavy night of all sorts, and saw being a heed the baal towards me and reacted, then apologised. Very rare event :) Brock's areet for a Berkshire bamp anyway.

Hmm, mostly right! I live in South Humberside though (Ie the bit that's not the shithole of Hull) and neither sport has a massive following (no large teams nearby), but the people who do play play in Union, I don't even think there's a local sunday league League side tbh.

Also, cricket is the only other sport with a sizable following here. The cricket clubs are full in summer and Lincolnshire County sometimes play their Minor Counties games here. But anyway you're right, it's mostly the Yorks/Lancs area and around there that play league.

Youre in fucking Cleethorpes man :lol:

We don't like cricket, oh no, it's wa a ank.

I've never liked cricket always found it boring as fuck, I've actually been to an England Test Match and was that bored I fucked off to the bar to watch Scotland. I just find it dull, but some people are brought up with it and love it, I respect that. Smoggeordie is a massive fan, and that's fine, you like what you like, but these bandwagon jumpers who pretend to love it when we win the ashes oh dear, especially when half the cunts don't even know the rules. People who like because their friends/partners do are even worse. It's too slow man, and I know there is some skill somewhere in there, it's just pish. People have the same thoughts about darts but I fuckin love darts, could watch it all night, so I know it's about preference.

What's your thoughts?

yes, its an absolutely wank game

Edited by LeazesMag

I think Rugby Unyion is the only sport I've never really liked to be honest. I can't really put my finger on why I don't like it, was thinking that it might be that 'stop-start' point made earlier but then again I really like American Football..

As for Stevie's fishing, it's not hard to spot. Had I posted that response before on a Friday evening I'd have expected a torrent of alcohol-fuelled abuse :D

Brock the other night? :lol:

Well to be fair I'd got in from a heavy night of all sorts, and saw being a heed the baal towards me and reacted, then apologised. Very rare event :) Brock's areet for a Berkshire bamp anyway.

Youre in fucking Cleethorpes man :lol:

Yes, and Grimsby and Cleethorpes have their own airport, what's so funny about that?

I think Rugby Unyion is the only sport I've never really liked to be honest. I can't really put my finger on why I don't like it, was thinking that it might be that 'stop-start' point made earlier but then again I really like American Football..

Pretty much exactly the same!

It was created in those areas because at the time (and until much later) Union had a strong amateur code. Although Union is very much a working class game in Wales (you did used to get players making the crossover into League from Wales though, to make their fortune).

It was created in those areas because at the time (and until much later) Union had a strong amateur code. Although Union is very much a working class game in Wales (you did used to get players making the crossover into League from Wales though, to make their fortune).

I remember even when we were growing up making the cross between Union to League was like changing from Muslim to Jew, and it was like Superman, once you changed you can't go back, even though he did. Jonathan Davies was one of the first big players I remember doing it, did Martin Offiah too? Then they relaxed the laws. Just shows how draconian RU must've been for decades though.

Offiah actually crossed in the other direction but that was obviously after Union became professional (think he played union as a kid because he's from dahn sarf). And aye, Jonathan Davies was a high profile League convert (he tried to go back to Union too). There was another famous Welsh International before him too but I can't remember his name. But, like you say, the rules were ridiculous before Union became professional. I don't think a player could even earn money from writing a book or a newspaper column until he had retired. All about smug, posh bastards keeping it their sport. I went to university in Leicestershire btw and it's massive down there.

Offiah actually crossed in the other direction but that was obviously after Union became professional (think he played union as a kid because he's from dahn sarf). And aye, Jonathan Davies was a high profile League convert (he tried to go back to Union too). There was another famous Welsh International before him too but I can't remember his name. But, like you say, the rules were ridiculous before Union became professional. I don't think a player could even earn money from writing a book or a newspaper column until he had retired. All about smug, posh bastards keeping it their sport. I went to university in Leicestershire btw and it's massive down there.

Aye Leicester Tigers regard themselves as the Manchester United of the Rugby Union world. Spot on about the smug, posh bastards keeping it their's, sad in a way because playing for England in the WC or even the Five Nations gave you more recognition in the rugby world than anything you could do in Rugby League. Even the Scots who play Rugby Union are snobby stuck up twats from places like Galashiels.

Aye Leicester Tigers regard themselves as the Manchester United of the Rugby Union world. Spot on about the smug, posh bastards keeping it their's, sad in a way because playing for England in the WC or even the Five Nations gave you more recognition in the rugby world than anything you could do in Rugby League. Even the Scots who play Rugby Union are snobby stuck up twats from places like Galashiels.

Aye, Scotland do really well because, when you're only picking posh sweaties, you're talking about a small gene pool :lol:

Aye, Scotland do really well because, when you're only picking posh sweaties, you're talking about a small gene pool :D

:lol:

To be fair I've never seen as many posh cunt residents in one place in my life than Edinburgh.

Aye, Scotland do really well because, when you're only picking posh sweaties, you're talking about a small gene pool :D

:lol:

To be fair I've never seen as many posh cunt residents in one place in my life than Edinburgh.

Aye, nice place but a bit stuck up to say the least. A canny few people from all over the shop live there as well though. Mull is fairly posh too.

Scott Gibbs went union -> League-> Union over his career, Iysten Harris, Martin Offiah, Henry Paul, Wendel Sailor and Jason Robinson all went League-> Union with mixed results (usually shit). On Offiah, he made the move to Bedford RFU during a time when there was a comlpete tool as chairman. He made Ridsdale look competent as he wasted millions on old crocks like Martin (his knees were shot) and over the hill legends like Rory Underwood. I think his name was Garner, and he very nearly made the club fold, something he did again afterwards when he took over Luton Town after Kohler left (another daft prick without a clue).