The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, Toonpack said:

Makes good points

Was just about to post they. He’s really good crack in general from a technical and tactical point of view. Arguably knows more about cricket and is a less of a contrarian than Piers Morgan too ;) 

Edited by Alex

14 minutes ago, Alex said:

Was just about to post they. He’s really good crack in general from a technical and tactical point of view. Arguably knows more about cricket and is a less of a contrarian than Piers Morgan and his fanboys too ;) 

FYP

p.s. - It's not arguable, it's a nailed on certainty ;)

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

First point is right

Second point is untrue. 
3rd point :lol:

4th point :lol: :lol: :lol: 

5th point Ashes series in the football off season so that’s standard 

6th point see previous point

7th point no one is. At least on here

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

First point is right

Second point is untrue. 
3rd point :lol:

4th point :lol: :lol: :lol: 

5th point Ashes series in the football off season so that’s standard 

6th point see previous point

7th point no one is. At least on here

I’ve got Piers Morgan, the Barmy Army and the mouse willy aka the king of the predictions behind me. You, ToonPack and Mark Butcher better recognise 

2 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

You know their bowlers are good as well? 🙂 

they’re also better than ours on flat pitches because they’re quicker and extract more bounce. a more traditional English wicket bring our bowlers to the party  

2 minutes ago, sammynb said:

No comment on the "other" Ashes first test?

Sounds like it was a hell of a match.

It was a very canny game, result predictable though, although admit I was surprised England got so close on 1st innings to make it as close as it was.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

It was a very canny game, result predictable though, although admit I was surprised England got so close on 1st innings to make it as close as it was.

Key moments as well - as in dropped catches 🙁 

Just now, RobinRobin said:

Key moments as well - as in dropped catches 🙁 

I hate to point out the obvious but dropped catches really are the key moments of a cricket match. Since LBW has been taken out of the hands of the on field umpires, what else is the key moment?

No ball? Wrong bowler at the wrong time or bad fielding placement, maybe but generally it's that dropped catch as <insertnamehere> goes on to score a tonne, etc, etc.

7 minutes ago, sammynb said:

I hate to point out the obvious but dropped catches really are the key moments of a cricket match. Since LBW has been taken out of the hands of the on field umpires, what else is the key moment?

No ball? Wrong bowler at the wrong time or bad fielding placement, maybe but generally it's that dropped catch as <insertnamehere> goes on to score a tonne, etc, etc.

Fair point but I was really harping on the same point as with the men - catches win matches. 

I suppose the evening sessions in days 3 and 4 were also key in relation to poor bowling on day 3 and poor batting on day 4 by England. 

I suppose those are more key sessions rather than moments. 

Is Wood definitely injured or just not match fit? If it’s the latter he hasn’t bowled in a competitive match since April. Even then it was the IPL so no long spells. But the ECB wouldn’t let him play for Durham so how is he meant to get match fit? 

They're saying he's about a week away from being ready.  Potts has been released from the squad and is now playing for Durham at Leicester.  Surely 2 days of first class cricket would have helped Wood get ready for a test match?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, David Kelly said:

They're saying he's about a week away from being ready.  Potts has been released from the squad and is now playing for Durham at Leicester.  Surely 2 days of first class cricket would have helped Wood get ready for a test match?

Or at least allow him to break down again without it being during a test.