The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Exactly. It was coming too. How many chances did he want to give them? I’m fucking sick of this shit now like. Zaltz was saying the conditions (seam + swing movement) is the 5th easiest in the first 40 overs since they started recording it at lords. Something like 200 innings. So they’re throwing their wickets away in perfect batting conditions with the opposition on the ropes. 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

Why not get close to their score before trying  this shit? Or at least get in? Root is better than that 

That is not the way of the Bazball 

I guess they’d have batted like this with this field and these tactics though. Ego before brains tbh. What a missed opportunity here btw 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Alex said:

I guess they’d have batted like this with this field and these tactics though. Ego before brains tbh. What a missed opportunity here btw 

That’s a good way of putting it actually. It isn’t aggression, it’s egotism. It’ll be interesting to see if Stokes is the one to call time on it. Brook doesn’t look like backing down but Stokes is playing a little more orthodox so far.  Total madness. We should be closing on 300+ for two. Instead we’re going to be 5 or 6 down at stumps. Brook dropped as I type 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

That’s a good way of putting it actually. It isn’t aggression, it’s egotism. It’ll be interesting to see if Stokes is the one to call time on it. Brook doesn’t look like backing down but Stokes is playing a little more orthodox so far.  Total madness. We should be closing on 300+ for two. Instead we’re going to be 5 or 6 down at stumps. Brook dropped as I type 

The old definition of insanity quote usually attributed to Einstein’s has rarely been so apt 

3 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

I like the way Stokes played there. Just calmed it down a bit when it needed fucking calming, still 3 days left.

He bats better when he plays himself in. You know, like just about every batsman in the history of test matches? ;)  Just what was needed, like you say 

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

He bats better when he plays himself in. You know, like just about every batsman in the history of test matches? ;)  Just what was needed, like you say 

He played the situation like proper cricket required, do the same tomorrow and it could massively effect the whole series, in a positive way. They want to bowl short, let them, it’s way more exertion for the bowlers than bowling a rhythm length.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

Was good to see him adapt to a situation and not play up to the hype surrounding his team. There will be periods when playing this so-called "Bazball" will be the right approach and it'll be great to watch, but you simply cannot do it most of the time.

We might have had 50 runs less but we ought to be 0 down tonight, I didn't see one genuine wicketing taking delivery from the Aussies today and they're happier tonight with us 278-4 than if we were 220-0.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

Evidently they think Lyon is done for the match and possibly the series (from cheat Smith interview)

vampire turning GIF

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, MMXXVIII said:

We might have had 50 runs less but we ought to be 0 down tonight, I didn't see one genuine wicketing taking delivery from the Aussies today and they're happier tonight with us 278-4 than if we were 220-0

Pure wishful thinking to think we could be 220-0 the players just aren't capable of playing like that. If they weren't attacking they'd get out just as often just with less runs on the board.

Duckets's interview made a lot of sense afterwards

Most frustrating wicket was Joe Root's but I don't really feel I'm in a position to criticise his batting tbh

From where we wre last night to 138 behind with 6 wickets in hand and Lyon out for the game is dreamland

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Pure wishful thinking to think we could be 220-0 the players just aren't capable of playing like that. If they weren't attacking they'd get out just as often just with less runs on the board.

Duckets's interview made a lot of sense afterwards

Most frustrating wicket was Joe Root's but I don't really feel I'm in a position to criticise his batting tbh

From where we wre last night to 138 behind with 6 wickets in hand and Lyon out for the game is dreamland

I don't think it is and I have considered that perhaps some of our batsmen can't play it any other way, but dismissed it. They were getting the horizontal bat out for singles to every short ball with men in the deep, utter madness. You'd get one every time turning it with a vertical bat to the same area and not risk it flying in the air. They played to the hype, the Aussies knew they would and it needs to be tempered.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MMXXVIII said:

I don't think it is and I have considered that perhaps some of our batsmen can't play it any other way, but dismissed it. They were getting the horizontal bat out for singles to every short ball with men in the deep, utter madness. You'd get one every time turning it with a vertical bat to the same area and not risk it flying in the air. They played to the hype, the Aussies knew they would and it needs to be tempered.

agree, if it’d been an orthodox field, fine play the hook or pull, but every fucker was behind square, it was like give us some catching practice. There was no positive outcome, a single at best, it was nuts.

• Like 2