The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

jadeja and rahul are both out of the next test 👀

Yeah that was mentioned yesterday I think that they’d both picked up injuries. 

35 minutes ago, Alex said:

plus Virat. 

It’s starting to look like a big, big opportunity to go two nil up. The sort of chance that doesn’t come up in India often 

10 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

plus Virat. 

It’s starting to look like a big, big opportunity to go two nil up. The sort of chance that doesn’t come up in India often 

Need CT and Fish to make a prediction to counter that thought :smile:

10 hours ago, Alex said:

You could see Jadeja pull up short when he was run out.  Hamstring by the look of it, so could be out for a while.  Please.

Missed opportunity against them without Kohli, Jadeja, Raul & Shami.  I still don't understand the way Root is playing.  He was the one player who didn't need to change anything about the way he played to meet Stokes and McCullum's MO but he seems to have just gone too far.  He should have been the player who won the match for us but instead he was our lowest scoring batsman in the match.

• Like 2

Far too much to do (again - even we actually won last time) after the first innings. It’s worth remembering that it took one of the great test innings (by Pope) to set up victory last time. You’d have needed to see something similar chasing that score down. Which isn’t really realistic two tests in a row. The middle order needs to do more, as DK alludes to with the mention of Root. Agree about Root not needing to do anything funky. His strike rate was class anyway just playing his normal game. I actually thought we’d do very well to lose by less than 100, which wasn’t quite managed. And that was a pretty good effort in the 4th innings. A lot of English touring sides of the past would’ve collapsed with barely a whimper chasing that 

• Like 1

I think the 4th innings was a pretty good effort, Root aside, and don't think we can have too many complaints about it (other than the iffy ball tracking for Crawley's dismissal).  It's the first innings for both teams where it went wrong.  We were a good hundred runs short of where we should have been looking to get to.  I suppose we have to consider the inexperience of our attack too mind.  The three spinners have done incredibly well when you think about how little first class cricket they have under their belts.   Obviously Leach's injury has hurt us (again) but you have to wonder whether it would have been better to take another more experienced spinner (I know we're not exactly overstocked with them but surely Liam Dawson was an option) or play Wood/Robinson along with two spinners and Root.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

91 scores of 50 or more in tests for England now. More than anyone else, eclipsing Cook. 
Steve Harmison (who’s actually quite perceptive on co-comms) on the radio was saying the pitch meant Root couldn’t play the funky stuff. So he had to knuckle down and tap it about and play proper shots, if you like. Some of the ways he gets out are mental as he’s a batsman who can score quickly without having to change his normal game. 
Also been a fair bit of speculation that Stokes will bowl. 
A hell of a long way to go but that was a pretty good first day given the conditions 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alex said:

A hell of a long way to go but that was a pretty good first day given the conditions 

Especially with the lunch score. 

Also shows how important Foakes can be. Hopefully soon see the end of YJB when Brook is back. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RobinRobin said:

Especially with the lunch score. 

Also shows how important Foakes can be. Hopefully soon see the end of YJB when Brook is back. 

I think they’ll drop Foakes again and play Brook in the middle order and give Bairstow the gloves. They absolutely shouldn’t imo though. Might change things if Stokes is able to bowl enough as that gives more balance / less need for an extra batsman. In the eyes of McCullum and Stokes I mean. Foakes is such a good keeper and his batting average more than stands up anyway I think 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

I think they’ll drop Foakes again and play Brook in the middle order and give Bairstow the gloves. They absolutely shouldn’t imo though. Might change things if Stokes is able to bowl enough as that gives more balance / less need for an extra batsman. In the eyes of McCullum and Stokes I mean. Foakes is such a good keeper and his batting average more than stands up anyway I think 

Precisely 👍 

• Like 1

Just now, RobinRobin said:

Probably 8 or 9 

8 is what I’m thinking. India bowling it looks like a minefield, us bowling, looks like a road.

• Like 1