The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

48 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

Cricket World Cup has been a bit of a bore tbh. Apart from Afg beating Pak yesterday none of the games seen to have been close or particularly exciting.

50 over format just seems a bit tired, and England appear to have completely forgotten how to play it. Can't be bothered looking but we can't have even played many 50 over games since the last WC. I can't remember any

We haven't and that's the problem.  Even when we have we haven't really looked to play our best team (although I'm not sure anyone knows what that is any more).

Think Robin is spot on, in that there isn't a standout candidate to replace Butler as captain and god know who the options would be as coach.  They probably won't be very interested beyond T20 any more.  Mind that's the only real interest we're showing at the moment full stop.  It's a real shame that we've finally climbed to the top of the mountain and then we've just forgotten about it.

• Like 2

On 08/09/2023 at 22:10, Kid Dynamite said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-12497265/Andrew-Flintoff-England-cricket-coaching-ODI-series-New-Zealand.html

He looks like he's had facial surgery. For a good looking fella that was getting plenty of TV work, I can only imagine the payout he's going to get from the BBC

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/freddie-flintoff-deserves-every-penny-31188245?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=organic

£9mil payout apparently 

• Like 1

Appalling, after their bowlers finally found out how to play (sort of).  Muddled thinking throughout the tournament and frankly before it as well, when Brook was brought in for Roy.  Not helped by getting Stokes back either, who would have been much better off preparing for Tests.

Of course, injuries to bowlers didn't help, but I am not sure that Topley and Archer would have made much of a difference either.  Especially as they can't bat well.

Not sure how long they can persist with half that team and Mott.

:angry:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Nefilim said:

Any cricket bro's want to predict our chances?

Tuned in 3 down - so nothing changed since the summer - Duckett, Pope, Cawley all been touching bollocks.

we will do well to win a solitary test. They’re unbeaten in home test series in over a decade 

• Like 1

On 24/01/2024 at 09:10, Dr Gloom said:

3 front line spinners plus Root and Foakes keeping. Deck must be a dusty old track…

Can’t have poor ickle Davey Bairstow’s wicketkeeping technique being exposed on a pitch like that ;) 

• Like 1

Going to ask some stupid questions here...

1) Why can't England just bomb the Indian's with 4x Mark Wood - i.e 85-90+ pace every over!

....of course they are unbeaten if every team bowls sub standard pissarse spin to them

...I get picthes are flat etc. Would India just fuck us off for 600+, or would we spring a suprise?

Next stupid question - What does Jonny Bairtow do? Foakes was always the call during the Ashes, tuned in and Jonny gets out.

3) Why can't England's top order just not get out. Obviously sounds simple, but just don't get out ffs. Pissed me off in summer, couldn't understand. Fuck off run-rate, at least 1 stick around through 200 balls.

Edited by Nefilim

13 minutes ago, Nefilim said:

Going to ask some stupid questions here...

1) Why can't England just bomb the Indian's with 4x Mark Wood - i.e 85-90+ pace every over!

....of course they are unbeaten if every team bowls sub standard pissarse spin to them

...I get picthes are flat etc. Would India just fuck us off for 600+, or would we spring a suprise?

Next stupid question - What does Jonny Bairtow do? Foakes was always the call during the Ashes, tuned in and Jonny gets out.

3) Why can't England's top order just not get out. Obviously sounds simple, but just don't get out ffs. Pissed me off in summer, couldn't understand. Fuck off run-rate, at least 1 stick around through 200 balls.

1 We haven't got 4x who are fit. And India's pace attack is pretty bloody good. 

2 He's good at golf. 

3 Stunning idea. If only it had been thought of before. Revolutionary. 

14 minutes ago, RobinRobin said:

1 We haven't got 4x who are fit. And India's pace attack is pretty bloody good. 

2 He's good at golf. 

3 Stunning idea. If only it had been thought of before. Revolutionary. 

Regarding questions, I was taught-

1) there is no such thing as a silly question, you'll end up silly when you don't ask

2) if you already know the answer, don't answer the question.

What's a par 1st Innings for England in India? Always think 300+.

When Stoakes is teeing at the end I know where in the shit - like when Titus Bramble dribbled into midfield and boomed a shot from 40yards.