The Cricket Thread

McFaul

Do you like cricket?  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

His technique when defending against the off spinner looks flawed at the moment. Not getting anywhere near in line with the ball.

yes, he was in all kinds of trouble before he eventually fell, frequently leaving middle and off exposed, playing down the wrong line. 

painful innings from moeen that. you'll be relieved to hear i have some work to do but stay tuned for more ball by ball updates later 

Edited by Dr Gloom

batting sensible is one thing but you put more pressure on yourself if you don't look to try and keep the score board ticking over. stokes is 8 from 45 deliveries

Think he just needed to make sure survived the day. Don't have a problem with that.

Btw, remember the Lord's test against India when Gooch got 333 in the first innings and another century in the second? Tendulkar also played in his first test in England. What I remember most is that India needed 24 to avoid the follow-on and Kapil Dev was batting and they were nine wickets down. He then proceeded to hit Eddie Hemmings for four straight sixes to avoid it. The no.11 was out for a duck next over as well :lol: Pure class

Think he just needed to make sure survived the day. Don't have a problem with that.

yeah, job done. i was worried they'd lose more wickets while retreating into their shells. i expect they'll take a more positive approach tomorrow 

seems to be the modern way, the safety first approach

I don't even think it is safety first. It's crushing your opponent and not giving them even a hint of a chance. It's a modern phenomenom, aye, but it comes from the great Aussie sides and they were anything but safety first.

yeah, the rub their nose in the dirt approach can be effective, but i'd argue enforcing the follow on is generally the more attacking approach, which is why cautious cook rarely does it. not enforcing can sometimes reduce your odds of winning - the other team can be more likely to save the game because of the time taken out of it batting again. i suppose it depends on how many days are left after each side has batted once, but i've seen cook bat on very negatively when he's had a 300+ first innings leads. there are times when you have to just back your bowlers. 

Feel like our middle order is desperately in need of somebody like a prime Trott to just hold things together and dig in. If we had somebody at that role it would be a pretty decent lineup.

You think you Aussies are mastering the art of the batting collapse? Watch and learn.

:lol:

I saw a stat the other day: We've lost between 8 to 10 wickets for less than 100 in at least one innings in each of the last five tests. Not sure if that's exactly right, but either way, it's fucking tragic. 

The Poms are miles ahead of Australia at the moment. You have a really well balanced team and several world class players.

Over here the cricket media are throwing up literally anyone who has scored runs in the latest round of the national first class competition to be chosen for the next Test.

Pleased and surprised to see us still batting when I woke up this morning. I think we probably needed stokes to make a ton to have any chance but it's good to see us battling instead of rolling over.