Terrorism

aimaad22

...I think I've had my fill of this thread for today :lol:

Also, Renton, I notice you never addressed my points in response to your Hillary and Obama post. Every time I post that you go quiet on it which is fine as long as you don't then bring up the same points in a day or two and claim I never addressed them ;)

I've been in and out all week, I'll review the thread once I get back home and stop laughing at HF's last posts.

Ok sorry, but could someone address HF's Iceland point with something other than sniping? I'm keen to hear the response. And FWIW I agree with you guys that religion is the primary motivator, but I'm becoming less and less convinced with every post that goes by ducking his question.

Why don't they attack Iceland? Have they ever attacked anyone against whom they had no tangible political motive?

None of this changes the fact that they are religiously motivated, but it does suggest that we could avoid being targets by acting like Iceland does, surely?

Ok sorry, but could someone address HF's Iceland point with something other than sniping? I'm keen to hear the response. And FWIW I agree with you guys that religion is the primary motivator, but I'm becoming less and less convinced with every post that goes by ducking his question.

Why don't they attack Iceland? Have they ever attacked anyone against whom they had no tangible political motive?

None of this changes the fact that they are religiously motivated, but it does suggest that we could avoid being targets by acting like Iceland does, surely?

It's a blatant logical fallacy, surely it doesn't need explaining more than that? He'll, there hasn't been an attack on my local CoE church yet either so it's obvious that ISIS love the Christians isn't it?

Really, it's not worthy of anything but laughter.

@@Rayvin

They probably look at a small, isolated country like Iceland and consider it small fry on its list of targets. that's not say they don't stand against everything a free country like Iceland represents.

You could hardly accuse the original attacks on Paris of being retaliatory.

Perhaps they think they're more likely to provoke a response by attacking bigger nations with better military capabilities and larger Muslim populations? France's geographical position and the ease which its borders can be crossed adds to its vulnerability.

This is obviously what they want. They want to spread fear and hate and when the west retaliates, which it is compelled to do when its civilians are massacred on the streets, they win more supporters to the cause in that country.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Isn't the Isis propaganda couched in a fundamental belief in islamism shared by its leaders? Not sure what point you're arguing tbh HF - do the leaders of Isis not believe in what they're sending the suicide bombers to do? They're not the ones doing the bombing, the generals are rarely on the front line, but do you really question their belief in the holy war interpretation of jihad and martyrdom?

I don't doubt their piety.

I doubt that Muslims would decide in huge numbers to attack the west without other factors though.

I doubt any other group, Christian, atheist is whatever would sit idle while their country(s) had democracy quashed, dictators installed, UN rulings flouted or bombing campaigns implemented.

The people looking to motivate a heinous response that defies an angry youth's religion MUST portray themselves as more pious and devout to convince the youth that god agrees with the violent response fermented.

@@Rayvin

They probably look at a small, isolated country like Iceland and consider it small fry on its list of targets. that's not say they don't stand against everything a free country like Iceland represents.

You could hardly accuse the original attacks on Paris of being retaliatory.

Perhaps they think they're more likely to provoke a response by attacking bigger nations with better military capabilities and larger Muslim populations? France's geographical position and the ease which its borders can be crossed adds to its vulnerability.

This is obviously what they want. They want to spread fear and hate and when the west retaliates, which it is compelled to do when its civilians are massacred on the streets, they win more supporters to the cause in that country.

That makes sense. If attacks on the West are a recruiting tool to get more people to buy into the ideology, then attacking bigger countries with larger Muslim populations would make sense, and wouldn't necessarily suggest an ulterior political motive.

I don't doubt their piety.

I doubt that Muslims would decide in huge numbers to attack the west without other factors though.

I doubt any other group, Christian, atheist is whatever would sit idle while their country(s) had democracy quashed, dictators installed, UN rulings flouted or bombing campaigns implemented.

The people looking to motivate a heinous response that defies an angry youth's religion MUST portray themselves as more pious and devout to convince the youth that god agrees with the violent response fermented.

Very believable but hard to support, isn't it?

Either way, surely either side of this argument makes it clear that we shouldn't be meddling in these countries, and that we'd experience fewer attacks if we weren't? Both Gloom and HF's posts support that point.

I think it's time for Renton to start a new group with Stevie and Leazes. Hi Stevie :wave:

Why? Because I support a policy that two thirds of thus country does? Do you go around screaming racist at every other person you meet?

At their height there was an estimated 30,000 Isis in Syria, the numbers now estimated by the Pentagon are between 6-10,000 proper Jihadi's...A string of defeats and partial closing of the Turkish arms corridor (Russia wiping out tanker convoys of Isis oil) has greatly diminished their battle posture. Aleppo, Mosul and Raqqa are becoming last stand scenarios. A far cry from the heady days of a caliphate stretching half way across Syria and Iraq.

We can only wait and see what new fandango is cooked up as it seems Isis's fighting days are nearly over as a proper force.

Edited by Park Life

It's a blatant logical fallacy, surely it doesn't need explaining more than that? He'll, there hasn't been an attack on my local CoE church yet either so it's obvious that ISIS love the Christians isn't it?

Really, it's not worthy of anything but laughter.

I've not selected Iceland as the one place to avoid an attack and used it to say religion isn't the primary factory.

I've selected Iceland as just one example among many nations that aren't Muslim but aren't victims of the global jihad, despite the Isis claim that their primary motivation is that ALL unbelievers should die.

Because that isn't a motivation that significant numbers of even extremist Muslims will sign up to.

If you provide a number of examples of significant attacks where perpetrators didn't reference the other motives Isis give (blasphemy, crusading etc) then I'll bow to those.

The reality is that Isis would have been stopped in their tracks ages ago if certain parties weren't supplying arms and logistics and money. Everyone knows who they are and almost nothing has been done about it. Why?

The reality is that Isis would have been stopped in their tracks ages ago if certain parties weren't supplying arms and logistics and money. Everyone knows who they are and almost nothing has been done about it. Why?

I sense your dying to tell us