catmag

Gigs 2019

Saw the Smashing Pumpkins the other night and though he can over indulge himself to distraction, they can still bang out the big ones brilliantly. 

16 hours ago, NJS said:

Saw the Smashing Pumpkins the other night and though he can over indulge himself to distraction, they can still bang out the big ones brilliantly. 

Seen them during that zeitgeist tour 10yrs ago, he did a 15min instrumental of united states :lol: was awful people started to leave a good 20-30mins before the gig had finished tbh as that wasn't the only time he decided to indulge himself with something like that, pretty disappointing gig between it and the venue (worst in the country) which was a real shame as i'm a big enough fan, least i seen them.

Nowt as bad as that but some strange song choices (eg new single as final encore) and cover versions which I dislike generally. If I want to hear Stairway to heaven, I'll go to the nearest paedo retirement home/cemetary and ask to hear the original, I don't get why anyone who has written so many good songs would want to play other people's. 

Edited by NJS

ah i don't mind the odd cover at a gig tbh, some bands do it well, Divine comedy I've seen a load of times and they always throw one in, they've covered no one knows and maneater both at gigs i was at was entertaining :lol:

and lisa hannigan can cover whatever she likes :wub: 

• Like 1

Wait, did Smashing Pumpkins actually cover Stairway to Heaven or was that just you plucking a song out of thin air? :lol: 

I don't mind the odd cover if it's a song that fits an artist's style and they arrange it in a way that gels with the rest of the set. Can sometimes give the musicians a chance to stretch out a bit and play something fresh.

51 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Wait, did Smashing Pumpkins actually cover Stairway to Heaven or was that just you plucking a song out of thin air? :lol: 

I don't mind the odd cover if it's a song that fits an artist's style and they arrange it in a way that gels with the rest of the set. Can sometimes give the musicians a chance to stretch out a bit and play something fresh.

They did Space Oddity, some Fleetwood Mac song I didn't recognise and did indeed do STH. 

As I said I have a general dislike of covers with very few exceptions - I think The Sundays' version of Wild Horses is fantastic but I struggle to name that many more. 

1 hour ago, Ant said:

ah i don't mind the odd cover at a gig tbh, some bands do it well, Divine comedy I've seen a load of times and they always throw one in, they've covered no one knows and maneater both at gigs i was at was entertaining :lol:

and lisa hannigan can cover whatever she likes :wub: 

Thats really good :good:

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

saw them at reading 95 and there was none of that bollocks then 

Saw them play on Siamese dream tour 93, they basically played the album & half of Gish. Brilliant. 

I havent managed to get tickets, but I see Damon Albarn (The Good, the Bad, and the Queen) is playing Tynemouth social club next week, which strikes me as quite surreal. I remember seeing Blur well before they were famous when they played Liverpool students union, talked to him at the backstage party. Getting on 27 years now, fucking hell. 

On 19/10/2018 at 16:56, PaddockLad said:

Saw them play on Siamese dream tour 93, they basically played the album & half of Gish. Brilliant. 

Saw them at the Mayfair on that tour. The support were The Verve before they became really big. 

• Like 1

Teenage Fanclub in Camden last night in what I could only describe as the top up their pension tour. They still sound sweet even if they look like they’re approaching retirement 

Went to see the Charlatans and James at Wembley last night. 

Charlatans were canny but his voice is a bit screechy these days - makes him sound more like the manc stereotype. They did do a great version of Ever fallen in love though. 

James were excellent - good new songs and the hits were great. 

• Like 2

Last weekend saw J Mascis solo on the Friday, went to a festival called Farmer and Owls where I saw Snail Mail, Beach House, J Mascis, The Aints, A Place to Bury Strangers, Amyl and the Sniffers and a bunch of smaller bands.

Sunday night saw A Place to Bury Strangers again and Monday night Beach House.

The Jesus and Mary Chain tomorrow night, Straight Arrows as mentioned above next week, then in the next month or so Tropical Fuck Storm (the guys from the Drones new band), Gang of Four, Hugh Cornwell, Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever and later in the year Sisters of Mercy (I know wtf?).