Syriza test case.

Park Life

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recall someone saying to me years ago that the British and the Germans are the only member nations who actually follow the EU rules. Dunno if that was just jingoistic pub talk but will be interesting to see if the promised Greek reforms are just hot air...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Says Europe needs a development bank. The vultures won't like that. They like the game of fake loans and comission and interest.

Edited by Park Life

Leave the euro and take the hit and rebuild. Prepare the population for 3-5 years of pain. Don't privatise and sell of all the assets or any such shit like that.

"After submitting a proposal for a deal last night to institutions, we are not waiting for them to submit their own plan back to us," Tsipras told reporters. "Greece is the one that submits the plan."

:lol: Tsipras having his "I am the one who knocks" moment.

Risky game they're playing - and the way they are going abut it means Greece will be ignored in any future EU discussion for the next 20 years

• 2 weeks later...

I've been running models of drachma priced product in the EU supply chain. Messy.

Greek wholesalers just need to over order, then truck the surplus back to euro countries and the profit margin = the interim currency devaluation minus the undercut of the euro distributors. Fucks sake.

Don't think so, leaving the Euro yes but not sure why they would be kicked out of the region.

If the currency rapidly devalues, the issue is pricing of products already in the supply chain. Even if they then have to pay duties to bring products back into the region, a rapidly devaluing currency makes the Greek supply massively cheaper. Its like short selling basically.

Risky game they're playing - and the way they are going abut it means Greece will be ignored in any future EU discussion for the next 20 years

Just like the UK then.

Don't think so, leaving the Euro yes but not sure why they would be kicked out of the region.

If the currency rapidly devalues, the issue is pricing of products already in the supply chain. Even if they then have to pay duties to bring products back into the region, a rapidly devaluing currency makes the Greek supply massively cheaper. Its like short selling basically.

Well their own central bank has warned that an EU exit is likely should they leave the Eurozone so I'm guessing it's certainly a possibility.

I'm not even going to pretend to understand the intricacies of international pharmaceutical pricing but in the long term can't you agree pricing in Euros with the Greeks taking the risk on currency fluctuations? Plus I'm guessing that an EU exit would mean huge tariffs on any attempt by the Greeks to undercut European suppliers.

Doesnt help the devaluation. Its not just my market, its any export market.

Take a car worth 25k euros. Say 1 euro = 500 drachma.

The car costs the Greek purchaser 12.5m Drachma which he will have to use to purchase the car in euros.

Now the exchange rate goes to 1 euro = 1000 drachma (very likely).

Now you sell the car back to Europe. If you sell it at 12.5m drachma, the cost to the European purchaser is now 12.5k euros or half price.

Fuck, basically.