Lee Charnley

Makom

It struck me today that I know next to nothing about the person who is arguably having the biggest detrimental effect on the club's fortunes over the period that has seen us get into this mess, most notably the second half of this season.

It's this guy whose job it is to find a new manager in the very rare instance that your existing one chooses to walk away, and it's this guy whose job it is to negotiate contracts, both existing and potential, in the transfer windows. Christ, it's even this guy's job to actually identify which players are surplus to requirements, when you're being directed by your superiors to sell any saleable assets.

Ashley is a known quantity, we know what he's all about. Carver is just a turnip in a tracksuit. But this Charnley fucker, who he? Who is this man who is causing me so much pain and misery? (well, who would be if I cared any longer). In theory, it's this guy who should be able to come up with a decent plan to work around the miserly restrictions imposed on him by his boss, and come out of it with a club which does better than the basket cases and prayer-less minnows we now find ourselves amongst, fighting for survival.

He's got no Wikipedia page, he gets no mention at all on the club's Wikipedia page, which is kind of strange if you were perhaps naively assuming that a top Premier League club would have a managing director with some background of notable achievement in the world of business or football, or even the football business. I'm honestly scared to Google the guy in case I confirm my suspicions based on his record, that he's got absolutely no right to be anywhere near this job at all.....

Aye I agree, it's crackers that a bloke like him is in the position he's in. The most troubling thing is he's only in that position due to being underpaid for his position and that he's fully happy to do it for that pay while feeding the fanbase Ashley's bilge. I think it's getting utterly ridiculous now as even the daftest fans are switched on to the clubs shit enough to see through every statement they make, when they used to lap up the clubs promises. The club is fucking rank and has been thoroughly cheapened out from top to bottom and it's thoroughly depressing.

It's always odd just how fucking cheap Ashley is, he could quite easily appoint a Moyes level manager for 2m a year or so and a capable, intelligent Director that actually aids in seeking out talented, young players, we'd wipe out their wages by finishing 2 or so places higher in the table ffs. We could then be confident in survival, have a competitive squad and always buy from a position of strength but no, he'll just be a fat cheap wanker and try to skate by with completely unqualified staff. The biggest question is why even have Charnley? what's the point? The club rarely comes out with statements, unless of course there is some slight against the owners trampy shops, so why not have a secretary do them and then wheel Beardsley/Moncur/Carver or some other bloke that's under Ashley's thumb to put their name to it? Hell he could just get a bloke that works for him at sports direct to call Ryder up and feed him the bullshit, I'm sure Ryder would drag his balls through broken glass to have something like that given to him.

In short he's just a fat blob in a suit and It would be no surprise whatsoever if he was made to be the fall guy along with Carver at the end of the season and some other completely unqualified winnet that Ashley knows is wheeled in to completely avoid signing the players we need.

• Like 1

He's from maidenhead, well a posh little village nearby anyway. Maidenhead is categorically the worst place I have lived in the entire world, with many people just like him everywhere. cheap rich bastards with a disdain for anything or anyone worth less than a mil, or northern.

just felt like sharing that.

He's been at the club since the Freddy Shepherd days. Held various roles and moved up through the club. My understanding is he's a very reserved type, refuses to do interviews and refuses to rock the boat. Sounds like perfect fodder for Mike Ashley to be fair, someone who will not question any of his decisions. Someone who is just happy to have a job. Someone who won't ask for anything more than the very minimum expenditure to work with. Someone with no MD experience so does not command the regular MD wage.

He literally has no experience in running anything other than a bath, like a fish out of water. Where else in the world could you become a Managing Director with such a CV? Fucking nowhere apart from Mike Ashley's Sports Direct FC.

Edited by Anorthernsoul

He's from maidenhead, well a posh little village nearby anyway. Maidenhead is categorically the worst place I have lived in the entire world, with many people just like him everywhere. cheap rich bastards with a disdain for anything or anyone worth less than a mil, or northern.

just felt like sharing that.

He's from Lancashire. Only a couple of hundred miles out though.

• 3 years later...

First interview for ages

Lee Charnley:

“It (failing to get promotion) would have been a catastrophe, a bloodbath, the manager would likely have gone.

“It was a one season gamble from his view as well.

“Some of the players would have wanted to go…Matt Ritchie for example, he bought into this on the basis of, one year in the Championship then going to the Premier League.

“Then we would have had Financial Fair Play, you cannot operate a business continually that has a wage bill higher than its turnover…it is not sustainable.

“We would have had no choice but to recruit Championship players and three teams then come down with more money than you.

“You end up on a cycle of trying to catch them and you have to reset financially – it would have taken years to get out of the Championship.

“We had planned a conversation with the manager after the (final) game (of the season against Tottenham).

“Mike (Ashley) said ‘We are going for it’ and we talked through the game….’get the manager to stay, get off to decent start, the fans behind you, build momentum and it can develop a life of its own.

“Mike’s priority was to keep Rafa and he said I’m going to support you, and come next year I do not want to be in this league.

‘It’s not like we’re sat on a big pot of cash keeping it for a rainy day,’ said Charnley. ‘Money comes in, money goes out and what’s left is available to spend, it’s that simple.’

“This year was about staying in the Premier League, and now it is about growing and improving year on year, but doing that within our means.

“Not to say there is a lack of ambition, because there definitely is ambition, it will just take some time.

“There have been a lot of briefings and information out there (about a possible takeover) but we are planning and assuming Mike will be the owner of this football club.

“We are moving forward assuming Mike Ashley  will be the owner because what’s the alternative?”

Still pushing the line about wages. The lying cunt.

How is Charnley going to negotiate and transfer or commercial deal deal when he can’t even negotiate himself a decent wage?

The only response to all of that is fuck off. 

Teams with ambition don’t have a squat ugly bald shrew of a man come out and talk about how it takes time, they just go out and show they have ambition.

This fat horrible cunt has owned us for a decade and in that decade he has shown fuck all ambition, why the fuck would this little creep think anyone would believe that load of twaddle he’s been wheeled out to say. 

It’s also no good going on about living within our means and acting like the fans are unreasonable when you’re fucking manipulating the numbers to show us in a weaker position than we are.

Honestly this lot are boring. They can’t keep banging on about sustainability when they’re the ones that take fucking suicidal risks when we are in positions of comfort and strength. They’re going on like keeping Rafa and some players on to try and bounce back up means we should all bow down to them, most clubs that get relegated do similar, it’s a football club you should aim to bounce up. Also, if you had actually stepped up and fired Steve fucking McClaren and his hair island before January (at the latest) rather than cowering under the desk the club wouldn’t have been relegated. 

I can’t wait for the day Ashley and his little pet rat sling their fucking hooks and the club is rid of them. What a pair of fucking helmets, why even release a statement like that? They can’t honestly believe anyone would lap that shite up. 

Edited by Howay
  • Like 6

Citing a £100m net spend since July 2015, and also a £46m net spend in 2017/18, Charnley is adamant Benitez has received the club’s backing - and will going forward, too.

It must be noted though that the net £80m Newcastle spent on transfers in 2015/16 was under Steve McClaren’s watch. The club have spent more than £50m net on transfers since Benitez took charge, though many fans would argue that figure needs to be far greater in the current inflated market - and following on from what certain supporters may feel were years of under-investment in the team.

“Often transfer figures which are cited are not accurate. In some cases, they actually bear no resemblance to reality,” Charnley said.

“There are agents fees and other fees involved which are not taken into account. Our accounts show we have made a £100m net spend since July 2015.”

I'd love to see his working out.

9 hours ago, Howay said:

The only response to all of that is fuck off. 

Teams with ambition don’t have a squat ugly bald shrew of a man come out and talk about how it takes time, they just go out and show they have ambition.

This fat horrible cunt has owned us for a decade and in that decade he has shown fuck all ambition, why the fuck would this little creep think anyone would believe that load of twaddle he’s been wheeled out to say. 

It’s also no good going on about living within our means and acting like the fans are unreasonable when you’re fucking manipulating the numbers to show us in a weaker position than we are.

Honestly this lot are boring. They can’t keep banging on about sustainability when they’re the ones that take fucking suicidal risks when we are in positions of comfort and strength. They’re going on like keeping Rafa and some players on to try and bounce back up means we should all bow down to them, most clubs that get relegated do similar, it’s a football club you should aim to bounce up. Also, if you had actually stepped up and fired Steve fucking McClaren and his hair island before January (at the latest) rather than cowering under the desk the club wouldn’t have been relegated. 

I can’t wait for the day Ashley and his little pet rat sling their fucking hooks and the club is rid of them. What a pair of fucking helmets, why even release a statement like that? They can’t honestly believe anyone would lap that shite up. 

That and the fact that we're only in this position because Benitez landed in his and Ashley's lap. We're that not the case then who knows where we might've been. Which of course begs the question as to where we'll be in 5 years time (or 4 years after Benitez leaves at the end of his current contract, which seems quite likely).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, t00nraider said:

He was instrumental in getting a Championship team back to the Premier League at the first time of asking!

It's been fucking obvious you're a mackem troll for a while now tbh

• Haha 1

I just don't understand how Charnley is causing pain and misery just because he's a Yes man. The previous owners wreckless spending, Ashley and players who like to get sent off and can't hit a barn door are far more blameworthy.  Things could have been a lot worse also, just like Sunderland, Leeds etc.