Footballers wages

Anorthernsoul

Surely football is one of the most unrealistic professions in terms of pay apart from the banking sector?

Imagine you performed so poorly at work, surely there would be repercussions?

These cunts can consistently perform below par safe in the knowledge they are walking away each week with 10's of thousands for numerous years.

Something has to change about contracts otherwise football will implode in the near future, sadly I can see wages getting higher with the TV money.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't need to change the pay .... free market and all that. To make the situation more closely resemble reality though, you do need to stop their ability to walk into another job on the same money.

I'd implement a rule - and make it apply across UEFA - if you get relegated from a league and then leave the club - for the next year you would be banned from playing for a club at the same or a higher league level.

I'd implement a rule - and make it apply across UEFA - if you get relegated from a league and then leave the club - for the next year you would be banned from playing for a club at the same or a higher league level.

:lol: You do an awful lot of "If I ruled the world..." thinking.

You don't need to change the pay .... free market and all that. To make the situation more closely resemble reality though, you do need to stop their ability to walk into another job on the same money.

That is absolute madness.

That is absolute madness.

How? What's logical about allowing players to move to another club on the same money when they've just sent their old club down through their ineptitude? Obviously you would hope such a rule wouldn't be needed and managers would simply have the sense not to keep signing them in the hope they'd do a better job next time around, but they don't.....just like chairman don't seem to tire of giving jobs to inept managers like Redknap et al.

The premise of this thread is returning footballer's employment conditions to something that more closely resembles reality. Other than teaching, how many other careers are there where you can keep bouncing around at the same level on the same money, even though your CV is an ever growing list of failures?

Your argument assumes that the blame should fall entirely on the players and should be shared equally amongst them.

What about the situation where a club has been completely undermined by its owner who has allowed the playing squad to deteriorate to a point where survival in the current division is impossible, despite the best efforts of the players?

What about a bloke who it is universally agreed has played a blinder all season, and "doesn't deserve to be relegated", but has been let down by his teammates.

I get the principle, but it's a silly idea in practice.

Your argument assumes that the blame should fall entirely on the players and should be shared equally amongst them.

What about the situation where a club has been completely undermined by its owner who has allowed the playing squad to deteriorate to a point where survival in the current division is impossible, despite the best efforts of the players?

What about a bloke who it is universally agreed has played a blinder all season, and "doesn't deserve to be relegated", but has been let down by his teammates.

I get the principle, but it's a silly idea in practice.

They'd just have to suck it up. Just like a chairman must accept being in a lower division for at least a season, even though he suspects it's only because his players didn't try hard enough, or weren't as good as their market price/wages suggested they should be (and obviously I'm not remotely thinking of Ashley here).

There wouldn't be an issue if the players were on an appropriate form of performance related pay ie modest basic and extra for appearances with large bonuses for achievements. That said our cunt of an owner would just pocket the savings so fuck it.

Aye. Something like a £1,000 match fee and then 1/3rd of your weekly basic pay for a draw, all of it for a win, would seem to be appropriate in the current climate.

I still remember when the big story was Roy Keane getting £50k a week, that seemed to be when the floodgates opened, although thinking about it that was probably also about the same time as a TV deal.

Aye. Something like a £1,000 match fee and then 1/3rd of your weekly basic pay for a draw, all of it for a win, would seem to be appropriate in the current climate.

I still remember when the big story was Roy Keane getting £50k a week, that seemed to be when the floodgates opened, although thinking about it that was probably also about the same time as a TV deal.

Aye, I'll never forget where I was when that big story broke. Momentous times they were.

Football is a rarity in business where in general you get the same money whether you win, draw or lose. Where a goalkeeper gets nearly a third of what the centre half gets and nearly half of what the midfielder gets. The players involved being Krul, Colo and Jonas.

Edited by BLACKANDWHITEGEORDIE

Football is a rarity in business where in general you get the same money whether you win, draw or lose.

Players and staff get bonuses for all sorts of things based on performance you fucking muppet.

Football is a rarity in business...Where a goalkeeper gets nearly a third of what the centre half gets and nearly half of what the midfielder gets. The players involved being Krul, Colo and Jonas.

Can't argue with this to be fair. It is very rare for a goalkeeper, centre half or midfielder's wages to scale that wildly in other industries.

So, in the first instance, you cite free markets as a reason not to restrict pay. Then you want to ban them playing at a higher level - hardly a free market approach.

This would mean that Austin would have to play in The Championship next season in spite of scoring 17 goals in the premier league this season.

Please tell me you are on the wind-up.

if we didn't wtach it the TV money and the wages would come down soon enough

It's because so many people wtach on TV (as opposed to turning up in the flesh) that the meeja and ad guys can pay the cash

same as F1 or the Indian Creeket guys

No problems with performance related pay, there'd be absolutely no fucking chance they'd have only 1 point from 30 if that was the case. No chance, you'd soon see the mercenaries fighting for everything if their livelihoods depended on it. A bit like the real world.

Mako, you are a refreshingly candid oddball. Your posts are bringing a welcome balance to the board's lack of lunacy. Did you once post here under a different username?