Georginio Wijnaldum

Happy Face

Aye you are right, lets peddle him.

We can look forward to more Colback in midfield and if Janmaat gets injured we can look forward to Bigirimana at right back. A treat.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really curious as to the formation and strategy we're going to use with the midfield we've got. Wijnaldum has been reported as a box-to-box player, as Sissoko was mooted to be, and with only Obertan and Aarons as genuine wide-men we've a densely packed centre;

Abeid, Anita, Cabella*, Colback, de Jong, Sissoko, Tiote, Wijnaldum

With Haidara and Janmaat we've two fullbacks who're happy to get forward and provide for the attackers, so maybe we don't need line-hugging wingers. What happens to Aaron's then? pushed forward? Will Perez be forced out to the wing?

*I know Cabella has played wide for the majority of his time with us, but my point is that he can comfortably play in the middle.

We'll play Sissoko on the right wing imo, its where he plays most often for France.

going of Tiotes inability to play much I think it'll be

Colback Wijnaldum

Sissoko De Jong Cabella

We'll play Sissoko on the right wing imo, its where he plays most often for France.

going of Tiotes inability to play much I think it'll be

Colback Wijnaldum

Sissoko De Jong Cabella

plus 1 up front from a pool of Cisse, Perez, Riviere, and (hopefully) Austin/Mitrovic?

Sisokko is miles better in the middle run wide, when he can be arsed to show up that is.

Is like to see some genuine wide players side. Players with pace that can go inside or outside a defender and preferably capable of delivering a dangerous cross, unlike Oberpants, Sammy et al.

Sisokko is miles better in the middle run wide, when he can be arsed to show up that is.

Is like to see some genuine wide players side. Players with pace that can go inside or outside a defender and preferably capable of delivering a dangerous cross, unlike Oberpants, Sammy et al.

Definitely more exciting to see a winger whip in a cross and a striker stick his head on the end of it, rather than the more intricate, more technical play; threading a pass through a sea of legs kind of chance. Best of all is a long ball forward for a counter-attacking winger who delivers the cross with his 1st touch and the onrushing striker drills the header home. That's just Sex.

That goal Bellamy scored against Bolton in the 01/02 season, set up by Hughes after Solano's audacious over the shoulder pass? :bloodywank:

We should be getting rid of that donkey Rivière

I've not totally given up on him yet, but he'll have to go some to climb out of the Luque drawer.

The one thing that stood out for me in the first half of that last friendly was our lack of width. Haidara wanted to go forward but Gouffran in front of him was offering nothing and it just didn't work. On the other side Janmaat didn't seem to want to get forward and Sissoko wasn't playing wide enough. In the second half it worked a lot better. Janmaat was going forward more, overlapping Sissoko but actually linkiing up well with him. And when Aarons came on we had genuine threat from both sides (he was looking to put balls in whenever he could and was making a decent fist of it). It will be interesting to see how McClaren manages to develop it. Can we utilise Cabella on the left with Haidara overlapping like Janmaat or is Cabella now completely surpluss?

Yeah I'm not getting into that again. But to say he needs a move when Captain Colback strolled through 90% of all our fixtures last season is wrong.

Maybe he isn't premiership level but to peddle him when he can play in a couple of ways in midfield and at both fullback positions is nonsense. Especially when you take into account the make up of the rest of our squad, 80% of which should be sold before him.

I'm interested to know which of our players are in the 80% who should be peddled before him? He's not the first I would get shot of by any means but I can't get close to 80% of the rest of the players who need getting rid of before him.

The one thing that stood out for me in the first half of that last friendly was our lack of width. Haidara wanted to go forward but Gouffran in front of him was offering nothing and it just didn't work. On the other side Janmaat didn't seem to want to get forward and Sissoko wasn't playing wide enough. In the second half it worked a lot better. Janmaat was going forward more, overlapping Sissoko but actually linkiing up well with him. And when Aarons came on we had genuine threat from both sides (he was looking to put balls in whenever he could and was making a decent fist of it). It will be interesting to see how McClaren manages to develop it. Can we utilise Cabella on the left with Haidara overlapping like Janmaat or is Cabella now completely surpluss?

I'd rather see Cabella in the centre since he's never had a proper run there in his time here and get another wide player in tbh. I'd also go for a first team quality left back and try Haidara further forward; the one thing he's half decent at is getting forward at every chance since he has a better touch, can beat his man and is a lot quicker than Dummett, who should probably be used as fourth choice centre half if we were to get shot of Williamson. I reckon new players on both flanks (Janmaat aside) would see us look a lot better, especially as it's a bit much to ask Aarons, a 19 year old kid, fresh from injury, to perform all season.

I'd rather see Cabella in the centre since he's never had a proper run there in his time here and get another wide player in tbh. I'd also go for a first team quality left back and try Haidara further forward; the one thing he's half decent at is getting forward at every chance since he has a better touch, can beat his man and is a lot quicker than Dummett, who should probably be used as fourth choice centre half if we were to get shot of Williamson. I reckon new players on both flanks (Janmaat aside) would see us look a lot better, especially as it's a bit much to ask Aarons, a 19 year old kid, fresh from injury, to perform all season.

I agree with most of that. I'm just struggling to see where Cabella fits in now in the centre, even more so if you want to play Sissoko centrally. I also doubt we have the budget to sign wide players too.

I agree with most of that. I'm just struggling to see where Cabella fits in now in the centre, even more so if you want to play Sissoko centrally. I also doubt we have the budget to sign wide players too.

Could we set up with a defensive mid , two box-to-box players and Cabella in the centre. Janmaat & Haidara providing our width, and two strikers up front?

Could we set up with a defensive mid , two box-to-box players and Cabella in the centre. Janmaat & Haidara providing our width, and two strikers up front?

Tiote/Colback as the defensive, Gini & Sissoko as the box to box and then what ahead of them?

Tiote/Colback as the defensive, Gini & Sissoko as the box to box and then what ahead of them?

Cabella centrally in front of them, with de Jong/Perez and Mitrovic/Austin/Cisse/The exhumed corpse of Wyn Davies/Me/Riviere

Cabella centrally in front of them, with de Jong/Perez and Mitrovic/Austin/Cisse/The exhumed corpse of Wyn Davies/Me/Riviere

:D I'm not sure if we could fit Cabella and SDJ in a formation together like that. Edited by David Kelly

:D I'm not sure if we could fit Cabella and SDJ in a formation together like that.

No? I don't think they're the same kind of player. I see de Jong as a Teddy Sheringham, Cabella as a poor, Skint, bankrupt, greek-debt-ridden, Silva/Coutinho.

As such, I see them working well together.

No? I don't think they're the same kind of player. I see de Jong as a Teddy Sheringham, Cabella as a poor, Skint, bankrupt, greek-debt-ridden, Silva/Coutinho.

As such, I see them working well together.

So a sort of 4-1-2-2-1? Maybe. Of course I'm used to having Pardew and Carver to try and set us up so I'm still doubtful we could make anything so complicated work. Maybe McClaren will be able to handle it.

Would love to see that. Quite a few people seem to want Cabella off but Id like to see what he could do with a decent coach and a team thats actually trying to play football.

At least McClaren might try something close to that formation.

So a sort of 4-1-2-2-1? Maybe. Of course I'm used to having Pardew and Carver to try and set us up so I'm still doubtful we could make anything so complicated work. Maybe McClaren will be able to handle it.

Yeah, pretty much.

CKHGdS9WIAAHoO2.jpg

:lol: It was a bit worrying that he seemed to have no sense of balance or strength, I'm willing to give him the benefit of doubt mind as he was regularly drawing 2 or 3 defenders as no one else was making any sort of moves to pull defenders away from him under Carver's brilliant tactics. I think it's a bit harsh to say nothing can be put down to first season syndrome as well, he had a bit of a rough start with Pardew hooking him off 60 mins in anytime he started and regularly just benching him so that lack of consistency would have made the adaptation to the pace of the league harder. He does need to knock the step overs on the head a bit mind.