Generic small time football blather thread 2015/16

The Fish

He's been appointed because a pragmatic Portugal just won the Euro championships, no other reason.

The FA decision making on managers has been a shambles for well over a decade. Not all their fault as all the good British managers are Scottish and none of them would go near the job.

Nah, there's the odd good Welsh and Northern Irish one too.

Nah, there's the odd good Welsh and Northern Irish one too.

Its an outdated view on Scottish managers anyway. Might have been true about 5 years ago. Anyway, point being the decision-making seems reactive and the selection process (going back more than a decade) appears to have had nationality in the profile for the job. Cant think of many areas where that's a proven strategy for success.

Its an outdated view on Scottish managers anyway. Might have been true about 5 years ago. Anyway, point being the decision-making seems reactive and the selection process (going back more than a decade) appears to have had nationality in the profile for the job. Cant think of many areas where that's a proven strategy for success.

I agree with you. It's a bit like following the German / French / Spanish model for producing future players (in terms of being reactive) meaning that you're about a decade behind them anyway as they've all moved on before your plans could've come to fruition. I think your previous point about seeing a pragmatic Portugal side (and even more tragically, a workman-like Iceland side) do well will have influenced them too. Have you seen those quotes blaming the press too? I.e. players being more scared of failure because of the pressure heaped upon them. Fuck me gently

Everyone agrees in retrospect that he would have taken us down / done utter shite. However, what pisses me off is that there was very little descent or calls for him to leave but since all the fans look back with critical eyes at his time, that translates into fans clamouring to get rid of him, which is revisionist nonsense.

I think the only thing i heard was 'allardyce for England' ( :lol: ) either against Liverpool or Portsmouth at home as we were getting played off the park and stuffed to boot. There might have been some other critical noises coming from the stands but nothing more than any other time the team plays like shit and gets beaten badly.

The Stoke game Dickie is on about, he got a very supportive ovation when he walked to the dugout from the travelling support as the players came out after half time. Stood right in front of us and clapped us back, fucker lapped it up. It's him and his bastard mates in the media who claim we drove him out of the club and every internet smart arse just repeats it, including journalists who should know better, but it's bollocks. Mort sacked him to get KK in. I'd like to think that's because Mort thought KK is a better manager, but I think it was probably to do with season ticket sales.

Everyone agrees in retrospect that he would have taken us down / done utter shite. However, what pisses me off is that there was very little descent or calls for him to leave but since all the fans look back with critical eyes at his time, that translates into fans clamouring to get rid of him, which is revisionist nonsense.

I think the only thing i heard was 'allardyce for England' ( :lol: ) either against Liverpool or Portsmouth at home as we were getting played off the park and stuffed to boot. There might have been some other critical noises coming from the stands but nothing more than any other time the team plays like shit and gets beaten badly.

Aye, I went to the Stoke away 3rd round FA cup game which was his last and he was applauded from the field and reciprocated, despite failing to win for the 5th game in a row, and winning only 2 (by single goals) from 13.

The Stoke game Dickie is on about, he got a very supportive ovation when he walked to the dugout from the travelling support as the players came out after half time. Stood right in front of us and clapped us back, fucker lapped it up. It's him and his bastard mates in the media who claim we drove him out of the club and every internet smart arse just repeats it, including journalists who should know better, but it's bollocks. Mort sacked him to get KK in. I'd like to think that's because Mort thought KK is a better manager, but I think it was probably to do with season ticket sales.

You beat me to it.

iirc Redknapp was the target and met Mort between sacking Allardyce and appointing Keegan.

What a match that was. We won 0 -1 didnt we? Not sure how.

I remember watching the Stoke match, if memory serves (and it rarely does nowadays), there were chants of Big Sam's B&W army from the stands, as we served up an absolute shambles of a match.

You beat me to it.

iirc Redknapp was the target and met Mort between sacking Allardyce and appointing Keegan.

I'd forgotten about the Redknapp thing, you're right. Mort confirmed a meeting had took place but denied he'd offered the job. I wonder what they were talking about? Pre Raphealite artists? Moon landing conspiracies? The price of fish?...

I think Redknapp confirmed not long after he'd turned us down, I think most would say "thankfully" ;)

What a match that was. We won 0 -1 didnt we? Not sure how.

I remember watching the Stoke match, if memory serves (and it rarely does nowadays), there were chants of Big Sam's B&W army from the stands, as we served up an absolute shambles of a match.

Barton penalty with pretty much the last kick of the game. Think Alan Smith was pulled down in the box. Pretty much the only thing I can remember and probably the only memorable thing. And the wallpaper sticks to the wall...

Barton penalty with pretty much the last kick of the game. Think Alan Smith was pulled down in the box. Pretty much the only thing I can remember and probably the only memorable thing. And the wallpaper sticks to the wall...

:lol: Tiim Healey was off his tits that night. Forgot about that.

Was probably the worst game I've ever seen. I've witnessed worse results obviously but what an insipid match with both teams not interested in attacking. Think Laurie Sanchez was Fulham manager at the time. It was fucking freezing as well. Nice coke and weed though*

*Added for the benefit of J69

Was probably the worst game I've ever seen. I've witnessed worse results obviously but what an insipid match with both teams not interested in attacking. Think Laurie Sanchez was Fulham manager at the time. It was fucking freezing as well. Nice coke and weed though*

*Added for the benefit of J69

I remember that Lawrie Sanchez Fulham side. He spent about £30 million and made the team drastically worse.

Had a look on wiki and I know Aaron Hughes was a canny player but he signed four Northern Ireland players :lol:

What I hadn't remembered was that Newcastle defeat got him the sack.

Don't know if anyone has missed it but Gallowgate flags group have raised something like £4.5K and ordered a load of brilliant flags for the gallowgate this season.

Here's just a couple. They're class and you can still donate or help out.

That last one is canny. It'll be interesting to see how well it goes.

It would be nice to see a pua radge wall of black & white & daft flags etc.

That last one is canny. It'll be interesting to see how well it goes.

It would be nice to see a pua radge wall of black & white & daft flags etc.

Hopefully it'll go well and look class, also hopefully encourages a good atmosphere, Tom. :good:

(I know I'm back, but they can't just rely on me for the vocals).

;)

I'll pick my matches this season but I'm hoping to be at the Huddersfield game. Which is ideal really as I doubt everyone will have the sense to bring their flags back or not wreck them when very pissed :lol:

This kind of thing would last 5 minutes in the east stand.

*whisper, whisper*

STEWARD APPROACHES

Yeah! Yeah! C'mon! I'm just toon army from the block.

You can come along if you want. I'll make sure the big boys or charvas leave you alone. I also promise PL won't stroke your head with a manic grin on his face. :good:

• Guest locked this topic