Geordies almost twice as likely to kill themselves as Londoners

Happy Face

• 6,233 suicides of people aged 15 and over were registered in the UK in 2013, 252 more than in 2012 (a 4% increase).
  • The UK suicide rate was 11.9 deaths per 100,000 population in 2013. The male suicide rate was more than three times higher than the female rate, with 19.0 male deaths per 100,000 compared to 5.1 female deaths.
  • The male suicide rate in 2013 was the highest since 2001. The lowest male rate since the beginning of the data series, at 16.6 per 100,000, was in 2007. Female rates have stayed relatively constant since 2007.
  • The highest UK suicide rate in 2013 by broad age group was among men aged 45 to 59, at 25.1 deaths per 100,000, the highest for that age group since 1981.
  • The most common method of suicide in the UK in 2013 was ‘hanging, strangulation and suffocation’ which accounted for 56.1% of male suicides and 40.2% of female suicides.
  • The highest suicide rate among the English regions was in North East England at 13.8 deaths per 100,000 population, while London had the lowest at 7.9 per 100,000

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/subnational-health4/suicides-in-the-united-kingdom/2013-registrations/suicides-in-the-united-kingdom--2013-registrations.html#tab-Key-Points

As today is World Suicide Prevention Day the ONS have been tweeting a lot of stats. Not the highlighted one, I just clicked through and found that one. Both shocking and unsurprising.

Anyway, anyone feeling down, talk to someone before you do owt daft. Please.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:aye:

I think the stigma around depression is lessening, which I hope leads to people feeling more comfortable asking for help, or simply understanding.

Edited by The Fish

Aye, I've got mates who've talked to me about their depression which I definitely doubt you would have seen among 30+ men in the pub up to the 70s.

That said though, a 4 % increase in suicides from 2012 to 2013 seems very large, though there does seem to be a lot of fluctuation from those headline figures. Obviously the economy and health support available have a massive impact on it and unfortunately those two fluctuate in some proportion to each other.

It's a local demographic thing. NE has high rates of unemployment, drug and alcohol abuse, debt, physical Ill health, all of which contribute to depression and ultimately suicide. A lot of completed suicides have no prior contact with mental health services making it nigh on impossible to prevent. A canny few are 'death by misadventure' too. EUPD patients playing with fire who accidentally die by overdose, tying ligatures or hanging around bridges etc.

Doesn't help that a cities as big as Newcastle have archaic mental health systems with patients at A&E often having to wait overnight to see a MH nurse practitioner. At Sunderland there's an hours response time. The government has also shut 2100 MH beds in the last 4 years. Last week there wasn't 1 male acute bed in the entire country left. Patients are routinely sent 100-200 miles from home to find the nearest bed, only to be brought back 24 hours later cos ones turned up closer to home. Can you imagine the uproar if that happened to a heart attack patient? It would be all over the papers.

The government, as usual, contradicts itself saying it's going to increase MH funding and have a drive to decrease suicide rates, then drives down the level of healthcare available by cutting finding with the ultimate goal of privatisation.

It's a local demographic thing. NE has high rates of unemployment, drug and alcohol abuse, debt, physical Ill health, all of which contribute to depression and ultimately suicide. A lot of completed suicides have no prior contact with mental health services making it nigh on impossible to prevent. A canny few are 'death by misadventure' too. EUPD patients playing with fire who accidentally die by overdose, tying ligatures or hanging around bridges etc.

Doesn't help that a cities as big as Newcastle have archaic mental health systems with patients at A&E often having to wait overnight to see a MH nurse practitioner. At Sunderland there's an hours response time. The government has also shut 2100 MH beds in the last 4 years. Last week there wasn't 1 male acute bed in the entire country left. Patients are routinely sent 100-200 miles from home to find the nearest bed, only to be brought back 24 hours later cos ones turned up closer to home. Can you imagine the uproar if that happened to a heart attack patient? It would be all over the papers.

The government, as usual, contradicts itself saying it's going to increase MH funding and have a drive to decrease suicide rates, then drives down the level of healthcare available by cutting finding with the ultimate goal of privatisation.

Do you know of St Ann's in Poole? Am working on a refurb of the old bulding there atm (built in 1910, we were sent home at 0800 this morning as they've found that unbelievably a building of that age has asbestos :huh: ) and they spent six figure sums transferring some patients away to other facilities so we can carry out the work. This in turn has been brought to the attention of the local press because theres no beds for local folks and as you say people are being sent hundreds of miles away for treatment. Thing is, it overlooks the beach at Canford Cliffs/Sandbanks and is a prime target for local developers as the land is worth millions. We've also heard the works we're carrying out are only for a 5 year life span. Go figure :glare:

Yep it's a piss take. The 2 big hospitals up here are St nicks in Gosforth and Cherry Knowle in Sunderland. Half of St Nicks has been converted to luxury flats and Cherry has been knocked down, the land sold off and a cheaper prefab hospital built at the bottom of the site

I'm fairly sure I suffer from it ir an anxiety disorder at the least, but my problem is i'm so introverted that could I fuck stand in from of a Doctor and talk about it. I don't think I'm a severe case or anything but i'm an intensely private person so talking about it isn't really an option. Self medicating has helped, though that's a bit of a minefield. My experiences with the NHS over other issues don't fulfil me with any confidence that they could sort me out. I'm a pretty great pretender though. Think my parents suspect but not many else.

How does that manifest like?

I get mini panic attacks on busy metros or in meetings or if I'm confined to the middle seats in the cinema or owt like that and I always thought it was a mild form of anxiety. I have to concentrate on breathing or think of something else to take my mind off it, but I've never worried it was anything more than that or considered medicating against it... though I never get attacks after the pub so drink clearly helps but would obviously be a bad thing to become a crutch if I felt it was impacting my life more.

If you aren't happy with a doctor and think your folks suspect something, they're probably worried and would love for you to tell them more about how you#re coping.

I'm fairly sure I suffer from it ir an anxiety disorder at the least, but my problem is i'm so introverted that could I fuck stand in from of a Doctor and talk about it. I don't think I'm a severe case or anything but i'm an intensely private person so talking about it isn't really an option. Self medicating has helped, though that's a bit of a minefield. My experiences with the NHS over other issues don't fulfil me with any confidence that they could sort me out. I'm a pretty great pretender though. Think my parents suspect but not many else.

Just gan canny with that.

Just gan canny with that

I am now aye, I bought these things online called flubromazolam few months back, widely available online, I basically took a couple out of the 50 that I bought to take the edge off. Woke up 3 days later, bag empty, a black eye and work in about 2 hours. But these NHS cunts are shit. They seem too happy to send you away with an inadequate prescription. I had a virus a few yearsback, weird as fck it was, caused severe inflammation in every joint in my body. One doctor, rightly, admitted me to hospital. A few days later I was back at work in agony with some fuckin diclofenic. I was having to hawk Tramadol of Colin with the limp and even those did nothing for me. Fuck the NHS

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

I am now aye, I bought these things online called flubromazolam few months back, widely available online, I basically took a couple out of the 50 that I bought to take the edge off. Woke up 3 days later, bag empty, a black eye and work in about 2 hours. But these NHS cunts are shit. They seem too happy to send you away with an inadequate prescription. I had a virus a few yearsback, weird as fck it was, caused severe inflammation in every joint in my body. One doctor, rightly, admitted me to hospital. A few days later I was back at work in agony with some fuckin diclofenic. I was having to hawk Tramadol of Colin with the limp and even those did nothing for me. Fuck the NHS

Wow.

Don't be a tit. If you've got a problem that needs medication, go and see a doctor. Ordering stuff off the internet is beyond idiotic.

Not if you go into it wih your eyes open. FWIW i want us to have a funcioning NHS but my experiences of ot have been utterly shit. Even the physiotherapy i got from them did absolutely nothing for me. Watched a video on Youtube and got some stretches off there and they've worked so much better. The NHS just want rid of you half of the time

Edited by TheGingerQuiff