Holidays 2024

McFaul

57 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Might just spend my holiday in Wallsend as it looks like we're going nowhere this year. 

Los Brazo de La Reina is a lovely little taverna on the main drag- popular with the locals which is always a good sign. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Los Brazo de La Reina is a lovely little taverna on the main drag- popular with the locals which is always a good sign. 

"Brazo de Reina is a Chilean version of a Swiss roll cake". Howay, this must be an in joke, spill the beans or STFU. 

I am 4 hours from finishing work before my holiday on Wednesday, flying to Italy. I am completely fucked with work this year and have never needed a holiday more. It's only a week though and no wat will I want to come back. 

I've hardly had any time off this year, was trying to get away but a mixture of not finding anything suitable and not knowing what to do with redundancy money and thinking a holiday maybe not the best idea right now seeing as it looks like we have a date all but confirmed for getting finished in early December after a couple of years of waiting playing cat and mouse. Nee rush. 

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've hardly had any time off this year, was trying to get away but a mixture of not finding anything suitable and not knowing what to do with redundancy money and thinking a holiday maybe not the best idea right now seeing as it looks like we have a date all but confirmed for getting finished in early December after a couple of years of waiting playing cat and mouse. Nee rush. 

I would feel the same. Hopefully you can get something lined up work wise and have a decent break. Canaries are usually a decent shout later in the year. 

31 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

At least wait til you've arrived before you start dreading coming back. :razz:

Aye. It's worse than that. I always think of holidays as a metaphor for life. On a week's holiday you arrive, and by day two and three you are nice and relaxed, peak holiday enjoyment. Midweek you feel sorry for the people going home but also have a pang of jealousy for the new comers. By day six, the dread of packing and going home the next day starts to bite, and if its been a good holiday, you don't fucking want to go. Then it's over and back to fucking reality*.

I'm probably on my second last day in this metaphor. Cheery. :D

* To spell it out, this is DEATH in the metaphor. 

• Haha 8

:lol: I'm the same on holiday, I get properly maudlin on the last night, and two days after I'm home I'll sit and imagine some cunt lying in my favourite lounger while I'm getting ready for work.

It's a ridiculous way we all live our lives.

• Haha 6

11 minutes ago, Renton said:

Aye. It's worse than that. I always think of holidays as a metaphor for life. On a week's holiday you arrive, and by day two and three you are nice and relaxed, peak holiday enjoyment. Midweek you feel sorry for the people going home but also have a pang of jealousy for the new comers. By day six, the dread of packing and going home the next day starts to bite, and if its been a good holiday, you don't fucking want to go. Then it's over and back to fucking reality*.

I'm probably on my second last day in this metaphor. Cheery. :D

* To spell it out, this is DEATH in the metaphor. 

You ever thought about going away for a fortnight? 

• Haha 11

29 minutes ago, Alex said:

You ever thought about going away for a fortnight? 

Naah, I'm sick of the holiday (life) by then. Optimal time for the average holiday is 9-10 days, which is my usual but couldn't afford it this year. Who want to be 140 man? 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Renton said:

Naah, I'm sick of the holiday (life) by then. Optimal time for the average holiday is 9-10 days, which is my usual but couldn't afford it this year. Who want to be 140 man? 

Don't think of them as holidays, think of them as mini retirements 

Gary Neville Celebration GIF by Salford City FC

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Don't think of them as holidays, think of them as mini retirements 

Gary Neville Celebration GIF by Salford City FC

Or lives (& deaths). Just to really cheer him up 

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

That’s pretty shitty timing mate, but at least there’s some finality and you can get in with sorting out something new in stead of having it hanging. 

Have you got owt lined up - same work different place, or are you after something new? 

23 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

That’s pretty shitty timing mate, but at least there’s some finality and you can get in with sorting out something new in stead of having it hanging. 

Have you got owt lined up - same work different place, or are you after something new? 

Just as HMHM was planning to break into the World of comedy sketch writing, along comes GPT4. He's now having to dress up as a roman centurion for the tourists at Segedunum instead. The lad has no luck. ;)

Seriously though, in my experience these things normally work out for the better, I'm sure you'll find one fulfilment in another job. 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Honestly, haven't got a clue, it's more a case of what I don't want to do. It's been 11 years since the last time I was in this situation and I'm kinda better placed but it's not a great time cost of living wise. I could pay off the mortgage and just about get by if I ended up on a minimum wage job but would have little back up savings if I got sick of a new job whereas if I didn't pay it off I could walk into somewhere else and if the vibes and culture were terrible could just say 'fuck that', err, I mean, 'thanks but no thanks' and stroll out with not a care in the world. I don't mind doing a half day on a Saturday at a push but that's it, I don't want to do another night shift in my life ditto 12 hour shifts, (it's just too long and I'm technically/actually a carer so just don't have enough time in between shifts for that shit). If I do something different and like it, great but I'm aware I'll probably be on shit money if I do. I might be be fucking tremendous to have as an employee but I don't think I have it in me to bullshit which isn't necessarily a good attribute to have when you're looking for a new job, had a look at some advice on the internet and YouTube and it's the opposite of what I am, I'm not a one for talking shite. Here's the company's I've worked for, this is what I've done, if I was shite I wouldn't have lasted two minutes...... So when do I start? :lol:

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Honestly, haven't got a clue, it's more a case of what I don't want to do. It's been 11 years since the last time I was in this situation and I'm kinda better placed but it's not a great time cost of living wise. I could pay off the mortgage and just about get by if I ended up on a minimum wage job but would have little back up savings if I got sick of a new job whereas if I didn't pay it off I could walk into somewhere else and if the vibes and culture were terrible could just say 'fuck that', err, I mean, 'thanks but no thanks' and stroll out with not a care in the world. I don't mind doing a half day on a Saturday at a push but that's it, I don't want to do another night shift in my life ditto 12 hour shifts, (it's just too long and I'm technically/actually a carer so just don't have enough time in between shifts for that shit). If I do something different and like it, great but I'm aware I'll probably be on shit money if I do. I might be be fucking tremendous to have as an employee but I don't think I have it in me to bullshit which isn't necessarily a good attribute to have when you're looking for a new job, had a look at some advice on the internet and YouTube and it's the opposite of what I am, I'm not a one for talking shite. Here's the company's I've worked for, this is what I've done, if I was shite I wouldn't have lasted two minutes...... So when do I start? :lol:

If you have a bit of breathing space, and the inclination. Look at doing a NEBOSH general certificate in H&S (about £400 I think).

People with actual practical on the ground experience are like rocking horse shit, most of the people are straight out of college and don’t know one end of a LOTO system from the other. It will give you a foot in to a different industry if you fancy it.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, strawb said:

If you have a bit of breathing space, and the inclination. Look at doing a NEBOSH general certificate in H&S (about £400 I think).

People with actual practical on the ground experience are like rocking horse shit, most of the people are straight out of college and don’t know one end of a LOTO system from the other. It will give you a foot in to a different industry if you fancy it.

I’d second this idea- H&S is the bollocks if you’re looking for an easy life :lol:

You can hire a Nazi uniform until you get yourself established, then go full Hitler. 

Seriously though, it’s well worth looking in to. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I don't think I have it in me to bullshit which isn't necessarily a good attribute to have when you're looking for a new job

HMHM's next job Interview.

"So Mr HMHM, what do you think you can bring to the brain surgery department here at the Freeman?"

"Well aye, likesay, hands on table ken? Those qualifications a pit on about neuroscience, that was a bit ay bullshit likesay. But a have goat a certificate in first aid like. A was only trying to get ma foot in the door like, show some initiative. 

So a tek it ave goat the job and the poppy? Barry!"

ffa712c03c7543df0ee688944179b1a1e63d14e1.gif.aff071cc2bcb06f27ee24e4935f3c351.gif

• Haha 6

21 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’d second this idea- H&S is the bollocks if you’re looking for an easy life :lol:

You can hire a Nazi uniform until you get yourself established, then go full Hitler. 

Seriously though, it’s well worth looking in to. 

How dare you!

I will have you know I do AT LEAST 4 hours of work a week

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, strawb said:

Not the first to mention that but I don't think I'd be up to it tbh and should've shown more interest in it at work if I was. 

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024