Holidays 2024

McFaul

Bloody love a North Sea ferry. We took the Gothenburg one (RIP) every other summer when I was a kid so the nostalgia runs deep. Harwich to Hook of Holland isn't quite the same - it's not a long enough trip for them to have crap on-board entertainment, for a start - but it's not bad. Still, nothing beats the overnight Shields-Hamburg ferry (also RIP) and the near-inevitability of falling in with a bunch of bikers who gently suggest to the DJ at the on-board deescoteque that he needs to spend the next five hours rooting through his CD collection to find anything and everything vaguely approximating rock music instead of this Eurodance scheisse. :wub: 

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I’ve never been on the ferry to Holland and I’m not sure if I should experience it or not tbh

It depends on your needs tbh. 

If you’re going to Amsterdam on a wild one, it’s a good starter for 10. 
Get the bus/tram in to town from the port. 

If you’re wanting to drive once you get there, same. 

It’s not hugely obvious, but if you’re driving to southern Europe, France or Italy or Spain, it’s the most sensible option from up here- 7-8 hrs of shitty driving on British motorways to get to Dover, vs a night with Dutch Elvis and three hours drive to get you to Calais. 

As a trip to Holland just for shits and giggles, definitely get the boat- it’s like if Lidl was a travel agent- a 15 hr shite cruise but run by Viz. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Meenzer said:

Bloody love a North Sea ferry. We took the Gothenburg one (RIP) every other summer when I was a kid so the nostalgia runs deep. Harwich to Hook of Holland isn't quite the same - it's not a long enough trip for them to have crap on-board entertainment, for a start - but it's not bad. Still, nothing beats the overnight Shields-Hamburg ferry (also RIP) and the near-inevitability of falling in with a bunch of bikers who gently suggest to the DJ at the on-board deescoteque that he needs to spend the next five hours rooting through his CD collection to find anything and everything vaguely approximating rock music instead of this Eurodance scheisse. :wub: 

Mrs. F. tried to convince the Kinder that the Shields Ferry is travellling in style compared to flying. :lol:

If you have a half decent sense of humour, she’s absolutely right tbh. 

“ International Buffet” - Pizza, Rinky Dinks, Gyros, Fish and Chips… 4 world renowned cuisines on one plate :lol:

Breakfast actually put the offerings of some half-decent hotels I’ve stayed at to shame. 

Hilariously shite entertainment, as mentioned above, (and I also watched Guardians of the Galaxy 3 with Fist Jnr in one of the two on board cinema rooms), all made bearable by several very decent beers. 

That, vs waiting in “Ponteland” Airport surrounded by sweaty fucking mackems getting mullered before jumping on a glorified bus, only to be served deeply depressing “food”, if you’re lucky, whilst trying not to breathe in the rancid stench of the mackem sisterwife’s baby-hole. 

Tbf, she’s absolutely bang-on, there’s no comparison…

…and you get to drive your own car off at the end instead of picking up some basic model, motorised wheelbarrow at the hire company that’s been twice round the world and to the moon and back. 

Did I mention the Dutch blart? 

It’s ridiculous- your most basic level, Gregg’s lass slinging pastries and pie, is top notch, bankable material :lol:

• Haha 5

I remember the dance troupe were called Elektra and the onboard band were called Blackjack last time I went. You can tell what they were like just going off that :lol: 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I remember the dance troupe were called Elektra and the onboard band were called Blackjack last time I went. You can tell what they were like just going off that :lol: 

:lol: Like the ever-changing name of the house band on Knowing Me, Knowing You. "Glenn Ponder and... Savoir Faire!"

• Haha 4

The reporting of the Rhodes fires from UK press is a little biased. Its all about Brendas 6 year old kid crying cos they've cancelled the flight. Not one thought for the 20,000+ Greeks that have been evacuated from their homes and might not even have one when they return.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

The reporting of the Rhodes fires from UK press is a little biased. Its all about Brendas 6 year old kid crying cos they've cancelled the flight. Not one thought for the 20,000+ Greeks that have been evacuated from their homes and might not even have one when they return.

Precious little talk about why the Foreign Secretary’s department still hasn’t changed their advice for travelling there either. And why all the decisions are still in the hands of the tour operators. 

• Like 1

So, Fist Jnr. and I cycled in to Leiden this morning, and stopped at a cafe for drink. 
“ Dad, what’s that place over there, Brownies & Downies?”

” Looks like a cake shop, kiddo, maybe they’ve got special needs staff” ( said with tongue firmly in cheek, thinking “not even the Dutch would have such poor taste)”

donald-trump-wrong.gif

Brownies and Downies

• Haha 6

Been there done that (not the shave-down part). At least they're not the type with coaster brakes and a basket on the front, I've had to politely refuse them before. :lol:  

• Haha 2

I was offered a basket. 

I could already feel my balls retracting, and when the basket came out I thought they might pop out of my backside in some kind of gender prolapse. 

They’re pretty decent bikes for hires, tbh, dead easy to ride and comfortable as a bike can be.  

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

IMG_0601.thumb.jpeg.26b2552eba9d44b33664a98bc89086e4.jpeg

20km on these streamlined bitches :lol:

I’m contemplating a full shave-down to pick up a few hundredths of a second on our eta. 

Fucking hell, do you ride then side saddle? 

• Haha 3

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024