Holidays 2024

McFaul

Nice- we stayed on the NW coast when we went there ( Palaiokastritsa), and the sunsets were unreal, also saw some fantastic lightning storms out at sea. 

We must’ve got lucky with the mozzies as I don’t recall any? 

On 10/07/2023 at 12:51, Monkeys Fist said:

Nice- we stayed on the NW coast when we went there ( Palaiokastritsa), and the sunsets were unreal, also saw some fantastic lightning storms out at sea. 

We must’ve got lucky with the mozzies as I don’t recall any? 

I think it’s generally quite bad for the little buggers in Corfu, although possibly varies depending on how late / early in the season it is. My lass and I had a fortnight in Paleocastritsa (or however the fuck you spell it) in 2002. I remember as it coincided with the Japan / South Korea World Cup. We hired a car and explored a bit but Paleo is absolutely stunning. We really loved it.  

• Like 1

Aye, me and Mrs. F. had a look round Corfu Town but mostly spent the days quaffing ale at the pool and the evenings watching sunsets at the cliff side bar before eating and more drinks. 

This was in the Before* times 

* nippers

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Aye, me and Mrs. F. had a look round Corfu Town but mostly spent the days quaffing ale at the pool and the evenings watching sunsets at the cliff side bar before eating and more drinks. 

* nippers

MF remembers the before times. 

lonely star wars rebels GIF by University of Alaska Fairbanks

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

* nippers

Corfu Town’s nice too. Well, the old town anyway. Did you catch Roger Moore swanning about there with Carole Bouquet by any chance? 

• Haha 2

I did. 
He asked for a picture but I had to knock him back- if you break personal time for one fan, the floodgates open. 

We found this mental old church that was chocka with Basil plants for some celebration, smelt amazing. 

( a quick non-filth google tells me St. Basil is the main boy there.)

• Like 2

Was looking at Corfu yesterday, never been. The wife has mobility issues so I always find hard to gauge whether places would be any kop? Even getting information about whether a hotel has a walk in shower or just a bath with a shower can be iffy. 

50 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

Was looking at Corfu yesterday, never been. The wife has mobility issues so I always find hard to gauge whether places would be any kop? Even getting information about whether a hotel has a walk in shower or just a bath with a shower can be iffy. 

Just be careful about the resort. As the north end of the island is really mountainous. So even a lot of the places at the coast (like Paleo) can mean your ‘5 minutes from the beach’ is actually up / down a steep hill. The resorts on the east don’t generally have that problem and are closer to Corfu Town too (the airport is more or less there) so it means nice, short transfers too. I would recommend it though. The Greeks tend to really go out of their way to make you feel welcome. If you get a package they should be able to tell you what the hotel is like in terms of accessibility. Sometimes it’s better to just contact the hotel directly though. The accommodation has come on loads but can still be a little basic compared to Spain, Portugal. When I first started going air con was pretty unusual 

• Like 3

Is the infrastructure in Corfu not a bit dated? We were thinking of going there but a couple of people the wife spoke to put her off so booked Crete instead. Not that it really matters seeing as I don’t plan on leaving the all inclusive hotel too much.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NJS said:

Kommeno which was the last resort I went too is hilly as fuck. 

I noticed a couple of nice looking hotels there but if it wasn't great you were a bit out the way to venture off. 

6 minutes ago, Howmanheyman said:

I noticed a couple of nice looking hotels there but if it wasn't great you were a bit out the way to venture off. 

Yeah I was only there for 9 days so hired an atv for a few days to get out and about including Corfu town which was fun. 

55 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Is the infrastructure in Corfu not a bit dated? We were thinking of going there but a couple of people the wife spoke to put her off so booked Crete instead. Not that it really matters seeing as I don’t plan on leaving the all inclusive hotel too much.

IMG_8045.gif

• Haha 3

On 17/07/2023 at 06:15, Isegrim said:

I guess CT isn’t having too much fun with a camper van in France…

He shouldn’t mess with asprilla 

On 17/07/2023 at 07:50, RobinRobin said:

BD behaviour that :smile:

Nah, there’d have been three of them if it was Mr. B. Doll- Him, Mrs. Doll, and whichever passing cripple he’s strong-armed in to being his unwitting chauffeur :lol:

• Haha 2

On holiday in the lakes. Car wouldn't start second day, got AA out, they charged it enough to drive, but the battery is fucked, won't hold the charge properly. £300  for a new battery but that invalidates the warranty so I need to get to an official garage. Advised me to run it every day which I did, and it worked. Until I have to come home today, and now the fuckers dead again.  :lol:

Rats cocks. Waiting for the AA again, with enough luggage to fill an HGV, a wife, a granny, two bored kids. Granny has lost her medication and is getting ill. Im bankrupt as its 15 quid for a shitty burger here. I've been holidaying with my brother and family for a decade but I've belatedly decided that thus holiday is a source of my anxiety, not a release, as was proven by last year.

Never again. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 8

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024