Holidays 2024

McFaul

17 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

8 :cuppa:

Theres at least 4 I should have visited by now too…. I’ve never been to Prague ffs :jesuswept:

Same as me and I've been to all the UK ones which is the only reason I'm semi-respectable. Think it's deliberately including a few places a bit off the beaten track and excluded most capital cities. And Venice not there, fuck right off. Arbitrary. 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Renton said:

Same as me and I've been to all the UK ones which is the only reason I'm semi-respectable. Think it's deliberately including a few places a bit off the beaten track and excluded most capital cities. And Venice not there, fuck right off. Arbitrary. 

Venice is too busy, too touristy, too expensive.

Even if it is arbitrary, it's right to exclude that smelly oddity. 

2 hours ago, The Fish said:

Venice is too busy, too touristy, too expensive.

Even if it is arbitrary, it's right to exclude that smelly oddity. 

Rome is on it, Edinburgh, Barcelona etc. All touristy, busy, expensive. I thought it was focused on architecture. Venice is unique and if you avoid San Marco, no more expensive than some others.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Renton said:

Rome is on it, Edinburgh, Barcelona etc. All touristy, busy, expensive. I thought it was focused on architecture. Venice is unique and if you avoid San Marco, no more expensive than some others.

Spent 3 nights in Venice a few years back. Like you say it’s easy to get away from the ridiculously expensive places around San Marco. We found a little wine bar locals went in about 5 mins from there that was really inexpensive. Same with places to eat if you’re prepare to walk another 5 to 10 mins. I got sone great photos thanks to my habit of getting up at ridiculous o’clock when staying in unfamiliar places. And like you allude to, the architecture is like nowhere else 

11 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

‘appen be reet” etc etc :cuppa:

#plusotheryorkshireisms #wykikisfolk

The pro cyclist Lizzie Deignan is from Otley.  For the last few years shes lived in Monaco like a lot of pro's.  Anyways, she's come back home.  I was out with a group yesterday and we saw her in the caf in the Dales.  It was a beautiful day,  One of the lads was 'Oh God county, she's come back to this' fuck off silly cunt. Why would she swap stunning roads, decent weather and clean and tidy place for this fucking shit hole?  

• Haha 4

12 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

8 :cuppa:

Theres at least 4 I should have visited by now too…. I’ve never been to Prague ffs :jesuswept:

i've been to 13, mostly the more obvious ones

3 hours ago, Alex said:

What’s the full list for us non-Xers? TIA 

FYI, you’re just about the only TT poster I’d do this for 😆

Edinburgh, Scotland

Ghent, Belgium

Prague, Czech Republic

Tallinn, Estonia
York, England

Bologna, Italy 
Dubrovnik, Croatia

Brasov, Romania

Bruges, Belgium

San Gimignano, Italy

Kraków, Poland

Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany 
Colmar, France

Bern, Switzerland
Gdańsk, Poland

Bath, England
Riga, Latvia

Barcelona, Spain
Annecy, France 

Siena, Italy
Ronda, Spain

Utrecht, Netherlands 
Toledo, Spain

Óbidos, Portugal
Monemvasia, Greece
 Zurich, Switzerland

Aachen, Germany
Florence, Italy 

Budapest, Hungary
Rome. Italy

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

The pro cyclist Lizzie Deignan is from Otley.  For the last few years shes lived in Monaco like a lot of pro's.  Anyways, she's come back home.  I was out with a group yesterday and we saw her in the caf in the Dales.  It was a beautiful day,  One of the lads was 'Oh God county, she's come back to this' fuck off silly cunt. Why would she swap stunning roads, decent weather and clean and tidy place for this fucking shit hole?  

Aah.. Yorkshire’s very own ray of sunshine :) 

UK is great country with abysmal weather. I think it’s great and there la always stuff to see… am off on Wednesday for a couple of nights on the Isle of Wight…supporters of Sunderland AFC of course think that this would count as a European fixture ☺️

• Like 2

11, I think. Although Tallinn was for about four hours in 1994 on a day trip from Helsinki so I'm not sure if it should really count, not least since the old town is probably a bit better looked after nowadays...

50 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

FYI, you’re just about the only TT poster I’d do this for 😆

Edinburgh, Scotland

Ghent, Belgium

Prague, Czech Republic

Tallinn, Estonia
York, England

Bologna, Italy 
Dubrovnik, Croatia

Brasov, Romania

Bruges, Belgium

San Gimignano, Italy

Kraków, Poland

Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany 
Colmar, France

Bern, Switzerland
Gdańsk, Poland

Bath, England
Riga, Latvia

Barcelona, Spain
Annecy, France 

Siena, Italy
Ronda, Spain

Utrecht, Netherlands 
Toledo, Spain

Óbidos, Portugal
Monemvasia, Greece
 Zurich, Switzerland

Aachen, Germany
Florence, Italy 

Budapest, Hungary
Rome. Italy

:D Cheers! Been to 7 and haven’t heard of about 4 of them 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

UK is great country with abysmal weather. I think it’s great and there la always stuff to see… am off on Wednesday for a couple of nights on the Isle of Wight…supporters of Sunderland AFC of course think that this would count as a European fixture ☺️

One thing that hits you when you go abroad is the lack of litter.

A day out in the National Parks here is superb.  But as soon as you get back close to civilisation and the litter slowly builds it's fucking depressing.

• Like 3

The litter where I live is a fucking disgrace like. The only people who ever seem to do anything about now are volunteers as well 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

The UK is a great country, I love all the countries of Europe I have been to, always felt we shared a kinship which is one reason why I fucking despise Brexit. Europe is by far the best place on the planet to live with its immense diversity in a relatively small area. As that survey alludes to, I haven't even seen the vast majority of it, despite being quite a seasoned traveller bk (before kids). North America is just a huge monoculture in comparison. Never had the pleasure of the antipodes but there are some right dodgepots over that way and Oz looks way too Americanised to me. :whistle:

Japan is still on my bucket list, and I've missed two huge continents outs here, South America and Africa. Don't like South Africans and find poverty a bit shit though. Way things are going the Isle of Wight will probably be an exotic holiday for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Way things are going the Isle of Wight will probably be an exotic holiday for me. 

It'll also have a Mediterranean climate within a decade, so, swings and roundabouts

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

6 for me. 3 in Italy, 1 in Spain, 2 over here.

The rest can S my B's.

7 here- Edinburgh, York, Bath, Bruges, Zurich, Annecy, Barcelona. 

It’s a bit of a random list tbh, as I can think of loads of places that would qualify equally well. 

Perpignan old town is lovely,  Carcasonne is mint, if a bit touristy, you’d be struggling to find somewhere in the south of France that isn’t worthy tbh. 

2 hours ago, Howmanheyman said:

I've been to a massive four. (Five if they had included Venice).

(Six if they added Sunderland to the list which they were surely going to do until the shady Cabal of Mysterious Tyneside Businessmen probably vetoed it, probably). 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Howmanheyman said:

(Six if they added Sunderland to the list which they were surely going to do until the shady Cabal of Mysterious Tyneside Businessmen probably vetoed it, probably). 

It’s a must-see for fans of rusty glass museums and players of shit-slalom. 

• Haha 2