Holidays 2024

McFaul

7 hours ago, Meenzer said:

A bit further north, the Barn at Beal is good for daytime or evening food too.

Mind, I see their current menu includes a Pheasant Katsu Curry, which sounds dangerously close to English fusion tapas. :D 

My mums WRI used to have an annual trip out there  for a meal . they were all game birds...

Edited by PaddockLad

4 hours ago, Tom said:

Had a few days wild camping in Scotland, it was wonderful. Went over Galloway forest park & camped by a loch, which we pretty much had to ourselves.

The weather wasn’t always on our side but we had an excellent fire and a tarp to hide under so it didn’t bother us as the stars were out.

Lovely few days. 

What did you do when you needed a shit - pot noodle?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Craster is known for its kippers and crabs. One can often lead to the other 

Have crabs got six legs? 

No?

Thank fuck for that, I must have scampi.

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Everywhere you have suggested if booked up.

Booked in at the Craster Arms.  Looks decent.

very first time I took mrs brokendoll to the northumberland coast we walked from craster to dunstanburgh castle, it was febuary, one of her first comments was that she didnt even believe it was possible for a wind to be that 'bracing' (or words to that effect)

in fairness to her I'd forgotten meself, however it very, very fucking quickly became apparent again!

beautiful walk mind.

• Like 1

I could have been travelling to Germany today for the bank holiday weekend, but I'd have been changing trains in Brussels, and the Brussels region was put back on Germany's quarantine list a few days ago. I looked at the rules and there's a loosely-worded exception for people travelling through a high-risk area without a "stopover", but I didn't fancy arguing the toss with the German authorities about whether 20 minutes at Brussels Midi station constitutes a stopover or not, at the risk of being trapped in Frankfurt for a fortnight if I came out on the wrong side of the argument. :lol: 

(The trip was booked pre-pandemic, I should add - I held on to the tickets rather than cancelling sooner because it's the hope that kills you. :suicide: )

Looks like a week up at my folks' next month is going to be the extent of this year's "summer" holiday then... I'll have jinxed it now and there'll be a Tyneside local lockdown, you watch :cantlook: 

2 hours ago, Meenzer said:

I could have been travelling to Germany today for the bank holiday weekend, but I'd have been changing trains in Brussels, and the Brussels region was put back on Germany's quarantine list a few days ago. I looked at the rules and there's a loosely-worded exception for people travelling through a high-risk area without a "stopover", but I didn't fancy arguing the toss with the German authorities about whether 20 minutes at Brussels Midi station constitutes a stopover or not, at the risk of being trapped in Frankfurt for a fortnight if I came out on the wrong side of the argument. :lol: 

(The trip was booked pre-pandemic, I should add - I held on to the tickets rather than cancelling sooner because it's the hope that kills you. :suicide: )

Looks like a week up at my folks' next month is going to be the extent of this year's "summer" holiday then... I'll have jinxed it now and there'll be a Tyneside local lockdown, you watch :cantlook: 

Ve can make you ansver ze question. Vy vould anyone be so stupid to spend time in Frankfurt anyvay? 

:lol: A good friend lives there; we'd have spent most of the time cycling/hiking in the surrounding countryside, rather than dodging the Hauptbahnhof junkies who've mysteriously doubled in number now that there's a curfew in Offenbach. 

Ended up in this weird little techno club at about 6am then watched the sun come up over the fish market with all the other casualties. Lost several hours of memory prior to that. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

Ended up in this weird little techno club at about 6am then watched the sun come up over the fish market with all the other casualties. Lost several hours of memory prior to that. 

Just call it a whore house, you're fooling no one with your clever euphemisms. 

23 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Just call it a whore house, you're fooling no one with your clever euphemisms. 

I was in no condition for that sort of behaviour at that hour :lol:

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024