Holidays 2024

McFaul

34 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

:D I remember you trying to sell Hardknott to me several years ago when I was planning a hire car trip to the Lakes having driven once in the previous 14 years or so. That was a nope then and it'd probably still be a nope now even with a bit more experience under my belt. :lol: 

Meh, it’s not that bad. 

This bloke does the whole thing in reverse! 

:CT:

Done Pavey Ark a couple of times but have given Jack’s Rake a wide berth on both occasions. :lol: Langdale is very beautiful as has been said but I would NOT equate climbing Bowfell with Catbells :lol: if you want a magnificent view with very little effort try Orrest Head. You can park for free at Booths supermarket at Windermere. Slightly more challenging but still easy is the walk from Ambleside to the top of Wansfell Pike via Stock Ghyll Force. Great views again from there. 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Renton said:

There's a pattern emerging here. My friend rolled his car over on Hard Knott pass. :lol:

This was my view from the top of Jack's rake, the first time on the scramble I could actually get the camera out my hands were shaking that much!

IMG_0038.thumb.JPG.e943b43e9f14f5a115bf1b1aad6b1aad.JPG

Renton’s autobiography is just out. 
unlucky_frank_viz.jpg

• Haha 1

Hardknott / Wrynose pass is not to be sniffed at but a canny bit easier coming from Eskdale side. However you’d be starting the other way, gloom. 
By the way, if you fancy climbing a ‘proper mountain’ with kids I would give the Old Man of Coniston a go. Coniston isn’t far from where you’re staying. And there’s a big free car park on the Walna Scar road. From there it’s less than 3 hours up and down. On a clear day the view is amazing 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Hardknott / Wrynose pass is not to be sniffed at but a canny bit easier coming from Eskdale side. However you’d be starting the other way, gloom. 
By the way, if you fancy climbing a ‘proper mountain’ with kids I would give the Old Man of Coniston a go. Coniston isn’t far from where you’re staying. And there’s a big free car park on the Walna Scar road. From there it’s less than 3 hours up and down. On a clear day the view is amazing 

One of the few I've never done as it happens. Keep meaning to but usually based in the North Lakes so its not well situated for me. Never climbed Sca Fell either (Scafell Pike's sister peak I mean). 

20 minutes ago, Renton said:

One of the few I've never done as it happens. Keep meaning to but usually based in the North Lakes so its not well situated for me. Never climbed Sca Fell either (Scafell Pike's sister peak I mean). 

I did Sca Fell from Eskdale via Slight Side. I think that’s called the Terrace Route. Old Man of Coniston is a doddle in relative terms. Especially if you miss out the tedious climb from the village itself and park where I mentioned.

Edited by Alex

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

already booked it!

for the days you're not there 

:lol: 

The Segway hire at Grizedale might be fun for the kids as well.

Btw, don’t forget I KNOW WHAT YOU LOOK LIKE :lol: THERE WILL BE NO ESCAPE

Tim And Eric Smile GIF

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Tim And Eric Smile GIF

Gloomy, you’ll see him well before he sees you. 
x1080

• Haha 7

50 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Tim And Eric Smile GIF

image.jpeg.3fdae216915489a5e14c1462c65c651e.jpeg

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Renton said:

How are people feeling about the cost of holidays nowadays? We use packages because they're just easier and have better insurance coverage. But family holidays that used to cost about 3k just 3 years ago are now costing 7k upwards. I'm just talking about 10 days in a decent hotel in Malorca here, its mental. Honestly don't understand how people can afford it nowadays. I hear the prices in the US are also mental when you get there. 

I was looking at a week in Majorca for half term (End of May) and they were ridiculous. However, end of Aug time you can get them for around £3k. Thats for a family of 4.

2 minutes ago, Holden McGroin said:

I was looking at a week in Majorca for half term (End of May) and they were ridiculous. However, end of Aug time you can get them for around £3k. Thats for a family of 4.

Yeah, that's probably what I'm doing. Means they're going to miss a day at school but saves about 2k so fuck it. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

old man of Coniston sounds a more realistic for us. just reading into it. Did you do the steeper/quicker Low Water Route (heading north from Walna Scar) or the longer/flatter Goat's Water Route (heading west from Walna Scar)?

We’re going to Holland :lol: ( the delights of having a ginger kid- no hot places)

Ferry from Shields to Ijmuden, an hour down the coast to a chalet. 
Trips to Amsterdam, Utrecht, bike rides, dope and whores, the usual :lol:

Then 2 nights in Bruges. 
d0d45729fd28ee8b162645d9db450866.gif
I’ve heard it’s a shithole but it’ll do for me and my cunt kids. 

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

old man of Coniston sounds a more realistic for us. just reading into it. Did you do the steeper/quicker Low Water Route (heading north from Walna Scar) or the longer/flatter Goat's Water Route (heading west from Walna Scar)?

I’ve actually done both as I’ve climbed it about 5 or 6 times. But I’d say do the quicker route, heading north via Low Water

22 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

We’re going to Holland :lol: ( the delights of having a ginger kid- no hot places)

Then 2 nights in Bruges. 

cunt kids :lol:

tell me about it 😬

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Then 2 nights in Bruges. 

Go to the Rijksmuseum. Everyone goes to the Van Gogh one. It’s good but unless you’re there before it opens it’s  heaving. At the Rijksmuseum head for the Nightwatch Gallery. Bruges is class but look out for the alcoves 

• Like 1

Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam aye? 

Last time I was there, just me and Mrs. F. we went to the Van Gogh. 

Never been so fucking bored in my life- there was an entire floor given over to his multiple feckin studies, painted in predominantly brown, of bowls of potatoes. 

Ewerk would’ve loved it mind. 

• Haha 4

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024