Holidays 2024

McFaul

44 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

So let’s say I drive all the way up to Loch Lomond. (Was planning to stop at York and at my mothers place in the north east on the way), is the consensus that I should keep on going up to the highlands? If I’ve gone that far am I selling myself short stopping at Loch Lomond before coming home?

Wondering whether it’s worth going on to Ben Nevis or somewhere around that area

All depends how long, what you’re going for and more importantly how entertained you want any kids to be.

We had a lovely run around up there a year last summer.

1 night Balloch

1 night Fort William

1 night Inverness

But I love driving off the beaten track and pulling up beside a lock to put the kettle on and watching seals. If Kids had been in tow they would be bored shitless.

Its also a very different place when it’s a cloudy rainy day and you can’t even enjoy the scenery :lol: 

9 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

All depends how long, what you’re going for and more importantly how entertained you want any kids to be.

We had a lovely run around up there a year last summer.

1 night Balloch

1 night Fort William

1 night Inverness

But I love driving off the beaten track and pulling up beside a lock to put the kettle on and watching seals. If Kids had been in tow they would be bored shitless.

Its also a very different place when it’s a cloudy rainy day and you can’t even enjoy the scenery :lol: 

yeah, that’s the problem as we’ll be going up with two little ones. Planning about 5-6 days in Scotland plus 3-4 days getting there and back via York and me mam’s. 

Maybe Loch Lomond makes more sense than going right up north. I see they have plenty  of kid-friendly outdoor activities there. Go ape etc

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Alex said:

I mean you are in the highlands there. It’s where they start. What you need to consider is how long it actually takes to get to places when you’re up there. The distances are (obviously) a factor but it’ll take you longer to drive than you think on top of that. In remote parts you’re talking single track roads with passing places. I’m not trying to put you off because it can be incredibly beautiful. But consider that in any itinerary. E.g. Highland Perthshire,(which is relatively close / good roads compared to somewhere like the western isles) is still a 4 hour+ drive from Newcastle. 

Aye, Scotland is fucking huge and the roads are basically cart tracks :lol:

If you’re looking for a good “first West Highlands” experience, you could do worse than head straight for Skye and base yourself there. It’s like Scotland in miniature. 
It is though, a good 7hr+ drive from Newcastle, so if you’re leaving from Grandma Gloom’s gaff you’ll want an early start. 

Alternatively, Dumfries and Galloway is only 2hrs from Newcastle, just above the Lake District- it’s not the Highlands but it’s beautiful, particularly the far west of it. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

It’s ok and a nice stop over as you head north and Balloch is a nice place for a night. Lochside park walks etc. 

I wouldn’t drive past the Lakes to get there.

done the lakes loads and never gone as far as Scottish highlands. Perhaps we should just go to the lakes again as it’s not a million miles from my mother 

A bunch of us went to Killin (which is just about relevant, since it's right at the north-east edge of the Trossachs) in late November and while it wasn't exactly ideal weather-wise to say the least :lol: , it was still plenty nice. The scenery obviously isn't as spectacular as when you go further north but it's definitely that bit more convenient coming from points south. If you're on the Loch Lomond side of the national park then the tourist infrastructure is especially well set up for families and the like - bike hire in towns like Balloch, etc - and on the east side you're not too far from somewhere like Stirling if you want to spend a day that isn't hills and lakes.

Maybe base yourself somewhere around Loch Lomond for the holiday side of things but give yourselves the option of one day where you have a proper big drive out somewhere further north for a bit of variety? Depends what your kids are like on a long drive, obviously.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

yeah, that’s the problem as we’ll be going up with two little ones. Planning about 5-6 days in Scotland plus 3-4 days getting there and back via York and me mam’s. 

Maybe Loch Lomond makes more sense than going right up north. I see they have plenty  of kid-friendly outdoor activities there. Go ape etc

Theres also Blair Drummond safari park about 30 miles away from Loch Lomond, which would be something different to entertain them.

Also when we were at Loch Lomond there was a huge sea plane doing tours.

18 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

done the lakes loads and never gone as far as Scottish highlands. Perhaps we should just go to the lakes again as it’s not a million miles from my mother 

Much more kid friendly like. And the National Trust place (I think Wray castle) is brilliant for kids.

Even better, I’m there at Easter so I’ll wave from my paddle board :lol: 

I went on a small sea plane in Canada once (Vancouver over to Victoria on Vancouver Island). It felt like about 2 minutes after take off it was still only 6 feet off the water :lol: 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Christmas Tree said:

Aye, not for me :lol: 

I was asking my lass what happens if the (only) pilot has a heart attack :lol: she was just smiling back as you had to scream at the top of your voice to make yourself heard, so she couldn’t hear a thing anyway. I’ve literally flown hundreds of times and I’m still not that keen tbh 

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Alex said:

I was asking my lass what happens if the (only) pilot has a heart attack :lol: she was just smiling back as you had to scream at the top of your voice to make yourself heard, so she couldn’t hear a thing anyway. I’ve literally flown hundreds of times and I’m still not that keen tbh 

You were only 6 feet above the water. You could just jump. 🙂 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, RobinRobin said:

You were only 6 feet above the water. You could just jump. 🙂 

Look, we all respect alex, but I'm not sure his phenomenal recall and barbed tongue could help him survive hitting water at 145mph.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

thanks all. yeah, the weather and the midges have always been the two things that have probably put us off. 

if you get lucky and it's a sunny week on the other hand....

April shjouldn't be a huge issue for midges, rain/cold is a bigger risk. Loch Lomond is nice but not a million miles away from what you'd get in the Lakes. Skye with kids, I'm not too sure. I'd maybe consider a compromise and going as far as Fort Bill for highland beauty or Oban for coastal beauty. The driving up there isn't a chore as the views are so spectacular, and trhe roads south of the greeat Glen are very good. If Fort Bill is considered, you have to take a walk through Glen Coe and Glen Nevis. There are rainy day activities there too. Mull and Tobermory for Oban.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

A fucking WHAT !!!!!

Edited by Toonpack
  • Haha 5

18 minutes ago, ewerk said:

CT sitting at the side of a canal sipping his cuppa wondering where the fuck all the seals are at.

Poor fucker heard the 'Mac' in Macclesfield and assumed it was North of the border.

• Haha 3

57 minutes ago, Toonpack said:

A fucking WHAT !!!!!

Nothing like a trip to Lock Lomond the biggest expanse of fresh water in Britain, or Lock Ness, the deepest and largest lock by volume. Also, if you want sea locks, I recommend Lock Etive which is near Glen Coe. Fun fact, there are more locks in Scotland than your average branch of Timpson's. 

Edit: by the way CT, nothing says sassenach like not pronoucing Loch right, let alone spelling it right! 

Edited by Renton
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Renton said:

Edit: by the way CT, nothing says sassenack like not pronoucing Loch right, let alone spelling it right! 

1 hour ago, PaddockLad said:

CT’d your edit :cuppa:

Neither of you can “pronouce” the word pronounce btw. :cuppa:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Renton said:

Nothing like a trip to Lock Lomond the biggest expanse of fresh water in Britain, or Lock Ness, the deepest and largest lock by volume. Also, if you want sea locks, I recommend Lock Etive which is near Glen Coe. Fun fact, there are more locks in Scotland than your average branch of Timpson's. 

Edit: by the way CT, nothing says sassenach like not pronoucing Loch right, let alone spelling it right! 

Pronunciation I can sort of (a wee sort of) accept, but SPELLING, jings crivens help ma Boab !!!!!!!

• Meenzer changed the title to Holidays 2024